Getting Fiero #2 by 88cryan
Started on: 11-08-2016 12:49 AM
Replies: 7 (239 views)
Last post by: rice.1 on 11-08-2016 01:43 PM
88cryan

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88cryanSend a Private Message to 88cryanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been helping out an older friend with a collection of Fiero's and I was talking about how my wife can't drive my 88GT (5 speed) and it would be cool to have a 2nd one that was automatic so she could drive it. Anyway he said he would give me an 88 4cyl auto for working for him. It is silver and has 90k miles. The car runs and drives but has been sitting for a few years. I looked it over and so far mechanically it needs a tune up, valve cover gasket, exhaust system, brake work, upper a arm bushings, rack bushing (usual 88 stuff lol). It seemed to shift fine but I will do a trans service and change all fluids. The gas gauge is pegged past full. Structurally minimal rust in the usual hiding places. The exterior paint is fair after pressure washing mold and moss off the body. It will need dew wipes and windshield trim is loose. It has good seats and dash but I will have to recover the headliner.

After some magic from me it should be a great free car for my wife and mom to drive once in a while! As a first time duke owner I'd appreciate any tips/info/quirks on them and maintenance. I read about the plastic cam gear failue after a 80k and I was wondering about that since this engine is original and untouched with 90k. (I'll be owner #3, he got it from the original owner).

My wife pressure washing her....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with your new coupe!

Older Dukes seem to leak oil. I have replaced the crank seal and valve cover gasket, which fixed 95% of the problem. I still have an oil leak that only seems to manifest at high speed/RPM.
It's either a pan gasket or it's caused by blow-by forcing oil out of the engine. The cam cover is dry.
I still need to pressure wash, again, and see where it's leaking.

When I replaced the crank seal, I also replaced the timing cover. I looked at the cam gear while I had the cover off. It looked good as new. (It may have already been replaced. The car - which I only recently purchased - has about 150K on the odo.)

The belt tensioners are no longer available from GM or regular retailers. Rodney Dickman sells a modified tensioner that works perfectly.

I have heard of ignition coil pack problems, and problems with the internal balancer, but have yet to experience any.

Oil changes are a pain in the rear. The 88 Duke filter is in the pan. It's held in place by a big-azz plug that requires a special tool to unscrew.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-08-2016).]

Fiero 88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the second car! Looks pretty clean considering sitting for years and those wheels don't look half bad on there, much better than stockers anyway.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

rice.1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks to be Mike's place. There was a thread on here awhile ago regarding his collection:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...4/HTML/060818-2.html

The red gt in the background of your pic is shown about 2/3rds of the way down.

How's he doing? It looks like he still has quite the inventory. Last I spoke with him, he was wanting to get completely out of Fieros, and just junk everything if he could. Glad to see he hasn't done that.

Nice job on the 'new' car! Hope she enjoys it!

*Edit: After looking again, I realized you were the one who took the pictures in the first place in the older thread! Haha!!

[This message has been edited by rice.1 (edited 11-08-2016).]

Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Oil changes are a pain in the rear. The 88 Duke filter is in the pan. It's held in place by a big-azz plug that requires a special tool to unscrew.

Special tool? Can't remember the exact size but I always used a standard hex socket. It was close to an inch. 15/16 maybe?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Special tool? Can't remember the exact size but I always used a standard hex socket. It was close to an inch. 15/16 maybe?

Me too, just a big socket for the lid. I grab the little tab on the bottom of the filter itself with a channel lock or pliers.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-08-2016).]

88cryan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88cryanSend a Private Message to 88cryanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rice.1:

That looks to be Mike's place. There was a thread on here awhile ago regarding his collection:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...4/HTML/060818-2.html

The red gt in the background of your pic is shown about 2/3rds of the way down.

How's he doing? It looks like he still has quite the inventory. Last I spoke with him, he was wanting to get completely out of Fieros, and just junk everything if he could. Glad to see he hasn't done that.

Nice job on the 'new' car! Hope she enjoys it!

*Edit: After looking again, I realized you were the one who took the pictures in the first place in the older thread! Haha!!

Yes that was me and this is Mike's house. He is doing good, he still wants out of them but not a lot of people looking to buy these cars anymore. I helped him build that red 87 GT in the background, it has a fresh 0 mile engine (bored 2.8, 3.1 crank=3.2L) and a 440t4 automatic swap, been on craigslist for months with no interest. We are about done with another 87GT 3.4p.r. swap 5 speed. Also I just finished work on his ex wifes 2003 L300 3.0 V6, it had the timing belt break and hit the valves, what a nightmare engine setup!!! Soon we will be swapping a 3.4 dohc into my car and we have a couple side projects/customers cars to work on.
rice.1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm sent.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock