Can anyone identify this wheel? by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 11-07-2016 02:40 AM
Replies: 6 (371 views)
Last post by: Rsvl-Rider on 11-07-2016 02:22 PM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend just purchased a 1984 coupe. It came with the wheels in the picture below. I'm trying to identify the brand and style in order to get a replacement center cap for one wheel that is missing it. Seems like there is a logo on the center cap but it is faded and I can't make it out.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well for sure it is some aftermarket with the duel bolt pattern.

It appears much like something we used to have back in the 90's that was a private brand wheel often made with a name and cap that is no longer around.

Often these wheels had caps with different emblems to change the ID of the brand. Generally they also did not have a MFG name on the back to make identifying it even tougher.

I think the best you can do is take the wheel to a shop and try to find one that will fit. Or you can take a Pontiac cap and see if you can modify it to fit your wheel.

I have some Prime wheels I modified a Pontiac Cap to give it a more OE look to the car. Many think they are factory wheels. I did have to trim them down and make some modifications. I also repainted them as they were the old red Pontiac hub cap centers. They came out nice.

The large number of wheels that came out in the 90's has left many people even with a name brand wheel scrambling for replacement caps as they often are discontinued and few are easily interchangeable.

I wish I could help more but I would recommend looking at other options as your best way to resolve this one.

Even if you find a original wheel or cap odds are it may not be in good condition either. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 11-07-2016).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check Drag Wheels. They were known for making a lot of split spoke wheels. Just by chance there are markings on the backside, pull one to see what's there.
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure of the brand - but those look a LOT like BMW style 172 wheels. Almost a direct copy (different lip and universal bolt pattern show these are not 172s, but they may be a close enough copy to look at center caps from them)

BMW 172 Style Wheels

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I figured it was a shot in the dark but I'll check like you suggested. Not really concerned about the condition as long as it snaps in securely. I'm making domed logo center caps decals to cover them up.

These are the decals I'm making to fit GT center caps. The top ones are domed. the bottom ones are not. I'm still experimenting with color combinations

Here is the car my friend bought. If anyone has a spare ribbed molding to replace the small section next to the door handle give me a shout.

hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:

Thanks guys. I figured it was a shot in the dark but I'll check like you suggested. Not really concerned about the condition as long as it snaps in securely. I'm making domed logo center caps decals to cover them up.

These are the decals I'm making to fit GT center caps. The top ones are domed. the bottom ones are not. I'm still experimenting with color combinations

Here is the car my friend bought. If anyone has a spare ribbed molding to replace the small section next to the door handle give me a shout.

These may be your best bet. the top center silver and black is the best to match the car and the Silver SE if you are not making changes.

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

These may be your best bet. the top center silver and black is the best to match the car and the Silver SE if you are not making changes.

The domed decals are flexible. I still need the centerpiece to fill the hole in the wheel center. This is the best pic I have of the side with the wheel missing the center cap...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock