Mystery wire by Fiero 88
Started on: 11-06-2016 05:21 PM
Replies: 7 (249 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-07-2016 01:33 AM
Fiero 88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was wondering if anyone knew if this wire is important? The end under the bolt looks newer than anything else so I was thinking possibly something a previous owner did. I was pulling my battery for the winter and noticed with the battery out that the other end was just dangling there not attached to anything. In the off chance it's something factory, I figured I should post here to see if anyone knows.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero 88:

In the off chance it's something factory...

It's not.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the picture is of one wire, it would be a ground that someone has added. It is not factory.
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't think so, thanks for the clarification though fellas.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put an eyelet on it and include it with the battery ground where it attaches to the battery tray. Extra grounds never hurt.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Extra grounds never hurt.

Not so fast there, Kemosabe. The Ogre will be by to school you on that.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If look like new and other end at battery, often a Lead terminal.... (GM and ACdelco are metal and hydro crimp to the cable with Thousands of pound to crimp them.)
Many Replacement battery cables are made as + cables. (Many cable manufacturer to this to cut inventory.)
Many are made w/ red and black wire and both are many w/ small wire because many cars need then. (Again to cut inventory.)
When new ones are used for ground... Big to Block, Small to Body. Small to any heavy body metal and use silicon grease to "weather proof" the joint.

Many old OE battery grounds just skip the small wire. The Braided ground and a few others between engine and body can handle the job when are in good shape.

Originally posted by Patrick:
Not so fast there, Kemosabe. The Ogre will be by to school you on that.

In this case... I would add just One as just said but remove/fix others. Example: I see body end of the braided ground but rest is hidden or cut. Green wire grounding what? Is not OE and likely just push under the washer.
Ground to hinge bolt was easy for GM but not the best choice. Big captive washer and hinge metal make poor connection to start and often get worse over time.
Find an unused screw hole or drill one on body side holding the hinge.

Clean/fix every ground you find bolted/screwed to engine, trans, and body and silicon grease to keep out water, road salt, etc. Engine bay has many and front has 2 main ground points that often have corrosion problems.
Many major grounds are in my Cave, Wire Service

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock