MaxJax Automotive Lift- Review - Great for Fiero's by DimeMachine
Started on: 11-05-2016 11:19 AM
Replies: 18 (1000 views)
Last post by: DimeMachine on 02-10-2017 07:44 PM
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2016 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had this lift for 2 years and only wish I had purchased earlier. Great for your Fiero and any of your other cars - fits most garages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeQ6qB_oH_8

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 11-05-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2016 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm.. I've been hearing a buzz about these lifts... Man, could I use one!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2016 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are good lifts if you goal is to lift maybe 4' off the ground. I passed on this lift as it was expensive for what you get. About $2300 (with shipping) and it did not lift that high.. In my garage we have a professional heavy duty USA made 2 post Rotary lift. I can stand underneath it and work. I found it on Craigs list from a guy who had it in an automotive shop for a year before he closed up. Then it sat in his garage for 5 years while he pondered opening another shop that never materialized. I bought it for $900 and carted it home on a flatbed. Bolted her down, replaced a couple of new hoses for safety reasons and its worked fine for the last three years. Total investment about $1200
Point is that you can find many good professional 2 post full height lifts for less money than the Max Jax BUT your garage must have a 12 ft ceiling. A friend of mine found an old lift at a metal salvage yard for $300 and with new hoses it works fine.
The MaxJax can be the ticket for a garage with a standard 8' ft ceiling and its certainly an improvement over a floor jack but you'll still need the creeper. This small lift reminds me of the old scissors lift that we once had. Its probably good for the amateur.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2016 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a standard 8 foot garage it's nice and definitely better than jack stands. But I would prefer a 4 post life for permanent storage of a car up in the air.
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

They are good lifts if you goal is to lift maybe 4' off the ground. I passed on this lift as it was expensive for what you get. About $2300 (with shipping) and it did not lift that high.. In my garage we have a professional heavy duty USA made 2 post Rotary lift. I can stand underneath it and work. I found it on Craigs list from a guy who had it in an automotive shop for a year before he closed up. Then it sat in his garage for 5 years while he pondered opening another shop that never materialized. I bought it for $900 and carted it home on a flatbed. Bolted her down, replaced a couple of new hoses for safety reasons and its worked fine for the last three years. Total investment about $1200
Point is that you can find many good professional 2 post full height lifts for less money than the Max Jax BUT your garage must have a 12 ft ceiling. A friend of mine found an old lift at a metal salvage yard for $300 and with new hoses it works fine.
The MaxJax can be the ticket for a garage with a standard 8' ft ceiling and its certainly an improvement over a floor jack but you'll still need the creeper. This small lift reminds me of the old scissors lift that we once had. Its probably good for the amateur.

Agree that if you have a 12' ceiling I would have purchased a full lift. I must say though, I use an old office chair now in the low position leaned back and it is much more comfortable than standing with your head tilted back. It is expensive, but it is a quality unit and a real company that I believe I will be able to get parts for 20 years from now should I need something. Cant say that for off brand stuff.
spirit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want a drive on lift to park my car on and going up 4 ft would be great.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you pour footings?
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great review!! This is now on my bucket list! Thank you for posting.
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Did you pour footings?

I built the garage and was positive I had the minimum thickness needed- which I believe is 4". If you are not sure, you can drill a couple small test holes and measure how deep you go before you hit sand/gravel.

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a few years I had a Bendpak scissors lift. While it was great for brake, wheel service and routine maintenance it fell a bit short in overall effectiveness. Even did a few engine swaps with it. The problem was that it lifted the car 46" above the ground. Sitting on a short stool I could not get under it so I still had to use a head rest creeper. It needed about 3-4 " more lift. The MaxJax looks better than the Bendpak scissors lift but I still like the pro Rotary 2 post lift that I can stand under and it is sturdily held in place by 16 anchors in a 6" concrete floor. I do not doubt that the Max Jax is a good piece of equipment and far better than using floor jacks but the lift height???? You can answer the question better than I can.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 11-07-2016).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:The problem was that it lifted the car 46' above the ground.

46 ft! Yeah, you'd have to use binoculars to see stuff...

PFF
System Bot
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-07-2016 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis, thanks for sharing your experience.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

Dennis, thanks for sharing your experience.

The MaxJax is probably a good lift for the home mechanic but it would have not been good for my use. My garage has a 12' ceiling so I was able to go full up on a lift. However, if you are spending $2000 for the MaxJax this might be a better buy at $1745 no tax delivered:
http://www.gregsmithequipme..._6ltACFYFZhgodC9QCUg
------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 11-07-2016).]

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The MaxJax is probably a good lift for the home mechanic but it would have not been good for my use. My garage has a 12' ceiling so I was able to go full up on a lift. However, if you are spending $2000 for the MaxJax this might be a better buy at $1745 no tax delivered:
http://www.gregsmithequipme..._6ltACFYFZhgodC9QCUg

Thanks for presenting options!! More than one way to skin a cat. I looked at that one (and some 4 post options) before I purchased the Max J. I got my Max J for less than 2k if I recall correctly and liked its portability and the Danmar name enough to sway me. This one came in a close 2nd for my needs.
fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get your concrete scanned for a few hundred bucks to confirm the thickness. Just contact some concrete cutting companies. They have the Hilti Scanner Tool. I considered this lift for my 8 feet tall garage but the concrete guy suggested not to do it unless we pour footings. Concrete thickness can very. Just google " car lift concrete fail."
fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroall

403 posts
Member since Feb 2008
I really like this lift but it's not available in North America. :-( http://www.spv.ua/1300/1321...id~929/lang~english/
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dad has had the MaxJax for a few years now (I believe he got it@ Costco for $13-1400). Works great for the home mechanic. Yes it only lifts 4' in the air but with the right stool to sit on it is quite comfortable to roll around underneath a Fiero to do repairs.

Dan
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanFiero:

My dad has had the MaxJax for a few years now (I believe he got it@ Costco for $13-1400). Works great for the home mechanic. Yes it only lifts 4' in the air but with the right stool to sit on it is quite comfortable to roll around underneath a Fiero to do repairs.

Dan

It is a beautiful thing seeing a Fiero project up on a lift in a cool shed.

------------------

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2017 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not just for fieros either. Last weekend I had to do some brake line work on my 6k lb Tahoe. Made the job a lot easier.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock