Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  I'm giving away free stuff - Show me your best engine bay picture (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
I'm giving away free stuff - Show me your best engine bay picture by Slammed
Started on: 10-29-2016 01:55 PM
Replies: 46 (1703 views)
Last post by: Slammed on 12-07-2016 01:11 PM
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We need 5 people with outstanding engine bays to showcase our clear valve covers

Duke, 2.8l, 4.9l, SBC outer and center bolt. A huge plus for colored rockers and clean internals - If you have a car that isn't a Fiero, with a popular motor, we want you too!

The top choices will receive a free set in exchange for excellent pictures and a video of them installed and running. These valve covers are oil and heat resistant. The motor would fail from heat before these deform. The pictured valve cover has been daily driven for over a year and never cleaned.

Show me what you've got!

We'll be making decisions at the end of November when all are ready to be shipped

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 10-31-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an outsatnding engine bay (2.8 V6), but I have no interest in putting a set of clear valve covers on my engine.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

I have an outsatnding engine bay (2.8 V6), but I have no interest in putting a set of clear valve covers on my engine.

Sell them. Keep them. Doesn't matter to me!
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The clear valve covers are amazing looking! Great job Slammed! Wish I had a Fiero that could use them.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, LS1 TB
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.9 motor
1985 Honda V65 Magna

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

Very nice! That's going to be hard to top

Originally posted by Neils88:

The clear valve covers are amazing looking! Great job Slammed! Wish I had a Fiero that could use them.

Thank you! A lot of time went into getting these figured out. We have a lot of applications planned. What are you driving now? I can only own or borrow so many cars so anyone who is willing do testing would be super helpful and would be compensated

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 10-29-2016).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is one of my engine bay pictures. This is a 3800 SC Series III engine installed in an 88 Mera.

Nelson
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

Thank you! A lot of time went into getting these figured out. We have a lot of applications planned. What are you driving now? I can only own or borrow so many cars so anyone who is willing do testing would be super helpful and would be compensated

Right now I've got a Caddy 4.9L V8 (in my Aventador replica). I suspect there are a number of 4.9 owners who might like replacement covers since the magnesium valve covers can't be painted easily. Even with careful prep work, the paint usually starts peeling off within the first months really destroying the look. In my case, I'll be putting an engine cover over my engine to give the appearance of an OEM Lambo V12 (longitudinally mounted) . Once the build is finished, then I plan on swapping in a longitudinal BMW V12...however, it probably won't get installed for a couple of years though.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 10-29-2016).]

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Right now I've got a Caddy 4.9L V8 (in my Aventador replica). I suspect there are a number of 4.9 owners who might like replacement covers since the magnesium valve covers can't be painted easily. Even with careful prep work, the paint usually starts peeling off within the first months really destroying the look. In my case, I'll be putting an engine cover over my engine to give the appearance of an OEM Lambo V12 (longitudinally mounted) . Once the build is finished, then I plan on swapping in a longitudinal BMW V12...however, it probably won't get installed for a couple of years though.

That is a unique 4.9, I don't think I've ever seen your engine bay before. I'm digging your intake and color scheme. I'll add 4.9 to the list. Our new casting system has made tooling so much easier than before, so even small number runs are worth it.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's mine, FWIW. The trunk-side valve cover is hidden by the plenum, however.

Edit - I forgot about the harness and hoses hiding the other valve cover. Nevermind.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-30-2016).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2016 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My engine is stock indy affair ..
but driven so it's not clean..
Can this type thing have text embossed /formed/molded in it..

This would have a market.. Maybe..

These make for sbc and ford and bbc would move.. As most of those have fancy looking rockers that get covered..
PFF
System Bot
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

My engine is stock indy affair ..
but driven so it's not clean..
Can this type thing have text embossed /formed/molded in it..

This would have a market.. Maybe..

These make for sbc and ford and bbc would move.. As most of those have fancy looking rockers that get covered..

Someone already makes them for SBC and BBC.

I can put whatever shape you want into it.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slammed, I sent you a pm. And a side note, this would be fun to add LED lighting to.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This photo is a bit busy but it has a push rod 3.4 engine at its heart and transparent valve covers might be interesting when added to the eclectic mix already there. BTW, it has been detailed since the photo was taken.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 10-30-2016).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can i send it via email slammed ? Can't get pip to work anymore.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Can i send it via email slammed ? Can't get pip to work anymore.

I never use PIP. Imgur.com is easier and faster.

SlammmedS10@gmail.com
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slammed I thought I was going to test a set for you?
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85sliverGT:

Slammed I thought I was going to test a set for you?

I was just given an outline to make the thread lol we have four different people posting on this username at the moment. PM?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Someone already makes them for SBC and BBC.

Center bolt covers?
I have a Fiero with a smallblock with centerbolts in it very interested.
Also a super clean 86 4 cylinder Fiero.

Both go to Fiero shows, and other cruise in events.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-31-2016).]

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Center bolt covers?
I have a Fiero with a smallblock with centerbolts in it very interested.
Also a super clean 86 4 cylinder Fiero.

Both go to Fiero shows, and other cruise in events.

AFAIK they don't make center bolt covers. I'll call them and make sure. I'll put you at the top for both the sbc and duke.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My engine bay isn't very pretty right now, but I'd be interested in a set of clear valve covers for a 2.8 V6 when they become available. Any ideas regarding the price yet?
PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

My engine bay isn't very pretty right now, but I'd be interested in a set of clear valve covers for a 2.8 V6 when they become available. Any ideas regarding the price yet?

Around $200 Shipped

and dang! ^^^^^^

and it looks like we'll be doing SBC center and outer as well.

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 10-31-2016).]

Domtech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure Jcircs has mine beat, but here it is anyway:

When I swap in the new long block in a week or two it'll get a huge cleanup and probably lose the ugly EGR valve.
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my 4.9 doesn't look a nice as these guys above me, but my valve covers might win most peely award. but I do want to say I think these are cool. Can they be lighted? Would it be weird to only want a rear one for the 4.9?

[This message has been edited by gen2muchwork (edited 11-01-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

and it looks like we'll be doing SBC center and outer as well.

Sweet I would love to do the small block centerbolt.

You can scratch me off the Duke list please to give other people a shot.

The 87 TPI smallblock:

The bright green one.

I will most likely green LED the clear cover

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-05-2016).]

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are also making a SBC valve cover, I can contribute one potential picture of my project car with a fuel injected 383 installed in an 88 Mera. It is a bit dirty in the compartment but I can clean and photograph this set up again if you are interested.

Nelson
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll admit I am skeptical. And I won't be doing any more work probably till spring it's about time to put it in storage .
It's usually there by now . but here is my Duke
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kendallville:

I'll admit I am skeptical. And I won't be doing any more work probably till spring it's about time to put it in storage .
It's usually there by now . but here is my Duke

Skeptical of what?
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am a born skeptic . skeptic of no one gives away anything for nothing, what is it made of that it will hold up after time ,
will it seal well ? that kind of stuff. I guess I never thought about anything in there to see.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2016 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mstangsbeware hands down...

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
Northstar Rebuild

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2016 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if common enough for ya, but my cleanest nicest engine bay is the 72 Buick 350 in my Skylark. It also goes to shows and cruises for visibility.
Not a Chev, a Buick Block.
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2016 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make some for the 3800... many clean swaps including my own. I'd love love love clear valve covers. It's so cool!
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-02-2016 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am a born skeptic . skeptic of no one gives away anything for nothing, what is it made of that it will hold up after time ,
will it seal well ? that kind of stuff. I guess I never thought about anything in there to see.

It's pretty obvious what Slammed wants to get out of it. Advertising. This is why one of the stated requirements is high quality pictures of the clear valve covers installed, and a video of the valvetrain with the engine running and the clear covers installed.

They're a novelty item. There are quality plastics which can hold up just fine. Look at the intake manifold on any modern engine. They're plastic and last for a few hundred thousand miles just fine. If you aren't interested in the novelty of having visible valvetrain, then a clear valve cover is probably not for you anyway.

To me, they seem a bit pointless on transverse V engines, since only the outer cover is ever really going to be visible enough to make sense anyway. But on longitudinal engines where both valve covers are clearly visible, or on inline engines, they seem like a much more interesting novelty, especially for a show car.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2016 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

It's pretty obvious what Slammed wants to get out of it. Advertising. This is why one of the stated requirements is high quality pictures of the clear valve covers installed, and a video of the valvetrain with the engine running and the clear covers installed.

They're a novelty item. There are quality plastics which can hold up just fine. Look at the intake manifold on any modern engine. They're plastic and last for a few hundred thousand miles just fine. If you aren't interested in the novelty of having visible valvetrain, then a clear valve cover is probably not for you anyway.

To me, they seem a bit pointless on transverse V engines, since only the outer cover is ever really going to be visible enough to make sense anyway. But on longitudinal engines where both valve covers are clearly visible, or on inline engines, they seem like a much more interesting novelty, especially for a show car.

Makes sense , thanks for the input . It would be quite a novelty item. but now that you mention it I'm not sure I would put it on, it doesn't get looked at that much.

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2016 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Makes sense , thanks for the input . It would be quite a novelty item. but now that you mention it I'm not sure I would put it on, it doesn't get looked at that much.

It'll get looked at a whole lot more with clear valve covers. Haha. The diagnostic value alone makes it worth my consideration. You may catch an engine failure before it becomes catastrophic. Oil condition, proper circulation, and valve train operation is easy to monitor. With a stock engine, it might be overkill, but those of us with moderately modified powerplants may appreciate the peace of mind these can offer.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Slammed, I sent you a PM.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Plastic valve covers are common as well.

However, I would guess that valve covers are typically made of glass-filled plastic.

In order to be optically clear (because see-through), the plastic cannot contain glass fibres.

Slammed, what is your confidence that non-glass-filled plastic won't creep over time? What kind of plastic will be used? Will these parts be injection-molded?
Christine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is mine
Whitefiretiger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhitefiretigerSend a Private Message to WhitefiretigerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about my girls 79 T/A I've slowly been fixing up.
This is a where it started and where im currently at pic.

And yes its a SBC 350 in a 79 Pontiac.
She bought the car with a 350 dropped porly in place of the 403 the po blew up. It also has a 700r4 that was initaly held only by some wire and the crossmember.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock