Differences between '87 GT and '88 GT? by copperhens
Started on: 10-27-2016 09:15 AM
Replies: 28 (568 views)
Last post by: Formula Owner on 11-01-2016 11:52 AM
copperhens

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know there is some, but what are they? Between the internal and appearance.
Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
External
- rockers are body color
- gold or black lace wheels
- front wheels are 6" wide, very narrow lip
- valve stem location on wheels

Interior
- two tone dash
- Beechwood replaces earlier tan

Mechanical
- redesigned front and rear suspension
- redesigned braking system including caliper relocation
- internally balanced engine with lighter pistons
- smooth 12 point bolt heads on upper intake

Those are the biggies.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

- smooth 12 point bolt heads on upper intake

The 2.8 upper intake bolts are different for '88 than for '85-'87? That's something I wasn't aware of. I'll have to go look at mine.... when it stops raining... sometime next June.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

The 2.8 upper intake bolts are different for '88 than for '85-'87? That's something I wasn't aware of. I'll have to go look at mine.... when it stops raining... sometime next June.

Same bolt, just no markings on the bolt head. Weird, huh?

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 is the best year for the Fiero. They are known to have over 800 horsepower stock, a McLaren suspension, but be careful, the green ones are the ones prone to engine fires.

:P

But seriously, the post above by olejoedad seems to have them all listed...

The Intake is engraved FIERO on the 2.8 intake manifold as well if I recall correctly...
The seats got less side bolstering too I think...

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

The 88... Intake is engraved FIERO on the 2.8 intake manifold as well if I recall correctly...

As was the '87 2.8 intake.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Same bolt, just no markings on the bolt head. Weird, huh?

Your right.

There are more little differences.

-battery side shield
-exhaust crossover pipe and complete exhaust.
-rear tail pipe hangers
-oil gauge "low red area", slightly thiner.
-interior dot matrix trim
-TPS mounting screws (phillips, made from aluminum) to (torx, made from steel)
-deck-lid shield 85-87 to no shield 88. (that's stuck to the underside of the deck-lid over engine)
-Altenator and coil air cooling removed
-88 altenator manifold heat shield
-88 getrag tranny had the "dip-stick" style oil check verses the 86-87 screw-in dip stick
-88 engine crank and flywheel
-88 TB coolant metal lines had an added tab (outwards) from the distributor
-88V6 engine mount and bracket
-88 EGR tube
-88 seats (seems more comfortable)
-88 power lumbar option

Didn't want to hi-jack, just wanted to appoint the little differences and 88 surprises GM did / changed for the better.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 10-27-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

-interior dot matrix trim

Am I the only one who thinks the '88 dot matrix interior trim is damn ugly? One of the first things I did when I got my Formula was to take those ugly things out and replace them with nice shiny silver interior trim pieces from an '86.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-27-2016).]

fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Am I the only one who thinks the '88 dot matrix interior trim is damn ugly? One of the first things I did when I got my Formula was to take those ugly things out and replace them with nice shiny silver interior trim pieces from an '86.

Ya, I can understand. Personal preference.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

-battery side shield

The 88s are different? That one I never knew.

I don't know what year I installed in my car (it was missing when I bought it) but odds favor it being a pre-88 since they are much more common in the junkyards. Fit perfectly though.

PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

The 88s are different? That one I never knew.

I don't know what year I installed in my car (it was missing when I bought it) but odds favor it being a pre-88 since they are much more common in the junkyards. Fit perfectly though.

Yes, just a little detail. I needed one and bought mine from TFS. They reproduced the shield to the 88 "updated" version.
That's what they told me. IIRC, it the way it holds into place at the top. They include a white plastic pin that my older version
didn't have.

Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2016 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually, I thought the '88 dot matrix looks much nicer than those fake ugly wood grain interior trims.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 10-27-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

Actually, I thought the '88 dot matrix looks much nicer than those fake ugly wood grain interior trims.

The spray-painted red ones take the cake!
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2016 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They are ugly! That's why I sprayed mine with a coat of black Plasti-dip! Works great, and if I want to go back I can just pull it off with ease!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2016 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 went to a CS style alternator as well, which is why the extra cooling fan in the trunk went away. I will argue about the 88 being the best year fiero. The issue is the trouble getting parts for the 88 only suspension. Get an 87, you get the engine fixes and a suspension you can buy parts for anywhere. Most of us do not need or even know how the 88 suspension changes the way the car handles.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-28-2016 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Easy8:

The 88 went to a CS style alternator as well, which is why the extra cooling fan in the trunk went away. I will argue about the 88 being the best year fiero. The issue is the trouble getting parts for the 88 only suspension. Get an 87, you get the engine fixes and a suspension you can buy parts for anywhere. Most of us do not need or even know how the 88 suspension changes the way the car handles.

I am having a hard time believing the 88 suspension was only used under this car, I've always wondered if a model across the pond, used the parts.. maybe not in the same configuration but g.m. is one of the best at parts bin cross sharing..
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2016 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Easy8:

The only engine 'fix' the 87 and 88 share is the engraved plenum.

88's are better cars, noticeable as soon as you drive around the block.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2016 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a difference in other engine/transmission mounts? One of my Formulas has a lot of movement despite replacing the dogbone and a transmission mount compared to my 87GT race car. It could be that Archie made better F40+2.8(now 3.4 with lots of mods) mounts when he did my swap...that engine doesn't move...and it's great!

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 10-28-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-28-2016 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

-deck-lid shield 85-87 to no shield 88. (that's stuck to the underside of the deck-lid over engine)

Early production 88s (at least, GTs) still had the EM shield in the decklid. Later 88s got the new decklids, which also had some small changes on the bottom side around the trunk seal, IIRC.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2016 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wheel bearings, brake calipers, steering rack / damper, engine damper shock.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-28-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2016 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I suspect that someone with red spray-painted trim pieces negged me.

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2016 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The triangle hole in the sheet metal just to the right of the engine dog bone also had a cover in 87 (hole is a different size, larger, on the 88s).

Wheel well liners are also different.

Edit: not sure if it true for the 87, but the door lock/latch assembly is actually a bit different on the 88 vs 86 (I don't recall exactly what it was ATM, but it wouldn't work in my 88 for some reason).

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 10-28-2016).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2016 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah....Spray paint sucks......I like the brush-painted red ones......

And the 88 suspension is absolutely specific to the 1988 Fiero...NO other vehicle ever used it....(The 84-87 front suspension was based on and basically common with the Chevette, which was common with the German Opels.....and......The first gen Lotus Esprit used that upright).

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

And the 88 suspension is absolutely specific to the 1988 Fiero...NO other vehicle ever used it

So people... don't crush an 88 please.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well maybe the value of my 88 will break $1,500 someday.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The main desirable point on the 88's seems to be the upgraded suspension. The main undesirable point on the 88's is the availability of suspension parts. No doubt the 88's handle better but add a rear sway bay to the 85-87's and the handling differences are hardly noticeable. As a one year unique model the 88's should always be worth more to the collector.
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Easy8:Most of us do not need or even know how the 88 suspension changes the way the car handles.

Admittedly, I may be biased.... but I think that the 88 suspension is much better, not just due to handling. Most times, to get a car to handle better, the suspension needs to be lowered and stiffened. Compared to the 84-87's, the 88's have better handling while keeping the same ride height, and they ride smoother (using softer springs), have less roll steer, less bump steer, and are more predictable at the limit. While most owners won't use the improved grip of an 88, the improvements in ride, roll steer, and bump steer are noticeable and welcome on any drive. I've given rides to people who have claimed that my Formula rides much better than any 911 or Corvette they've been in.

The 88's also have a front suspension geometry that resists dive under braking. Do the 84-87's have this?
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula Owner

1053 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:No doubt the 88's handle better but add a rear sway bay to the 85-87's and the handling differences are hardly noticeable.

I don't know whether this is true or not, but I have no reason to doubt it. However, adding a rear sway bar does nothing to address the other shortcomings of the suspension. The 88 will still be easier to drive at the limit.

Having said that... I've been on a few RFTH's with the GA Fiero club, and most cars are 84-87's. Many of which, I'd guess, had modified suspensions. And I NEVER felt that I wanted the group I was in to speed up. The 84-87's were keeping up quite nicely, even the 4 cyls. I also have never noticed a pre-88 on these runs with overheating brakes. So, while the 88's DO have better brakes, if you're overheating your 84-87 brakes, you're probably doing something wrong.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock