Started on: 10-20-2016 09:56 AM
Replies: 26 (750 views)
Last post by: andreww on 11-11-2016 03:08 PM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That car is truly a time capsule. For a vehicle that is 28 years old it is in amazingly clean condition. This car has obviously been stored in a good environment.

I looked through all the pictures and it appears to me like the lift they put the car up on was not anchored to the floor. Seems kinda foolish to me if you're running a business like this that your lift would be correctly installed.

[This message has been edited by lateFormula (edited 10-20-2016).]

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:
Seems kinda foolish to me if you're running a business like this that your lift would be correctly installed.

There is more than a little odd stuff showing up in these photos. It looks like he got the building for 2 hours and had to get every shot he could think of.
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 4 post isn't bolted down and came with casters if you wanted it mobile. The weight rating is still applicable not bolted down and it says so in the manual
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I'm concerned, a 680 mile Fiero is worth less than a 68000 mile Fiero. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving it until I changed ALL the fluids and ANYTHING rubber. You'd have a few thousand dollars in replacing parts/fluids before you could even drive it. A well taken care of 68000 mile Fiero could be driven immediately. It's an '88 Fiero, not a '71 Cuda.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rubber lasts a very long time in a climate controlled environment. Brake fluid doesn't break down if it has seen no moisture or heat. If the car was stored with no gas or antifreeze, it would be ready to drive with a quick oil change and antifreeze fill. My '72 MGB is on original tires with no dry rot and all original hoses. I bought it with 1100 miles on it and it was professionally stored since '74
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You've had the same tires on your car for 40 years??? And you still drive it??? Um, that's pretty stupid. Rubber deteriorates, period. Climate controlled storage might slow the deterioration but it doesn't stop it. EVERYTHING deteriorates over time, regardless of how it's stored. With 680 miles on that Fiero, it's had gas in the tank at some point as well as antifreeze in the system. You can drain both systems but there's no way you can't get ALL the fluids out. Oil also breaks down over time.

Unless your MG is a show only car (trailered to shows), swap your tires before you kill yourself or someone else.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The price seems about right. Low to mid 20's is where other sub 1000 mile 88GTs have sold for in the past few years. May take a while to sell though, as the market is limited pretty much to people who are just looking for a museum piece and will never drive it.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

You've had the same tires on your car for 40 years??? And you still drive it??? Um, that's pretty stupid. Rubber deteriorates, period. Climate controlled storage might slow the deterioration but it doesn't stop it. EVERYTHING deteriorates over time, regardless of how it's stored. With 680 miles on that Fiero, it's had gas in the tank at some point as well as antifreeze in the system. You can drain both systems but there's no way you can't get ALL the fluids out. Oil also breaks down over time.

Unless your MG is a show only car (trailered to shows), swap your tires before you kill yourself or someone else.

Without exposure to ozone or UV rubber lasts an incredibly long time. If they were radials I wouldn't chance it but I've driven several cars on original bias ply tires that were properly stored, very different type of blowout. The cord is much less likely to deteriorate and that's where they get their strength. Yes, it is a show car like I hope that Fiero would be most likely
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

The price seems about right. Low to mid 20's is where other sub 1000 mile 88GTs have sold for in the past few years. May take a while to sell though, as the market is limited pretty much to people who are just looking for a museum piece and will never drive it.

If I was looking for a really nice fiero... I would buy AND drive it Might as well enjoy it.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Except for diamond and gold, I agree just about everything breaks down over time. Tires will deteriorate, that why the date of manufacture is on all tires. Even if they look good, they are sitting on the same spot and will flatten. I would not use any tires over 8-9 years old. Metal in bearings and bushings will also deteriorate from holding heavy stationary loads for long periods. Piston rings and cylinders can rust over time without use as some valves stay open to the outside. The 88 may be drive-able but I doubt if it will give long term reliability plus at 25 grand you can purchase one heck of a Mercedes, Corvette or late hemi Challenger. Fieros are just not worth that much.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-21-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Newsflash: All cars in extended storage still age, even a '71 Cuda and an '88 Fiero. Any issues with the original rubber, fluids, et al, is the same for any ultra low mileage collectible car. Anyone looking for a car like that knows this. People looking for a daily driver aren't looking at 600 mile Fieros, and exceedingly few people on here with $24,000 to spend on a car would be looking to spend it on a Fiero.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Newsflash: All cars in extended storage still age, even a '71 Cuda and an '88 Fiero.

My comment about the '71 Cuda is that it's worth a butt load of money even if the tires are dangerous and the rubber lines are rotten. Nobody buys a '71 Cuda (or whatever year it is that's worth millions) to drive and nobody buys a Fiero for the collector value. I love Fieros (I'm on my 6th) but a Fiero just isn't worth a ton of money as a collector car no matter how many (or few) miles it has.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2016 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My comment about the '71 Cuda is that it's worth a butt load of money even if the tires are dangerous and the rubber lines are rotten. Nobody buys a '71 Cuda (or whatever year it is that's worth millions) to drive and nobody buys a Fiero for the collector value. I love Fieros (I'm on my 6th) but a Fiero just isn't worth a ton of money as a collector car no matter how many (or few) miles it has.

cudas are not worth millions..
only the hemi cudas are..
the 71 318 ones are 20-30k..
no matter,
they are not making any more 88 Fiero's and someone will buy it..
me I'd rather a 2+2 with that low miles.. for that price..
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2016 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing Fiero!
JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This looks like it is the real deal. Something like this is not for everybody. The thing that gets me is there are so many supposed "very low mileage" cars that look like they have been used and abused. Though I probably would never have saved a car for 30 years, I am glad there are some cars like this out there to use as a reference. And if I had a bit more disposable income I would buy it today. I would store it properly and enjoy it as an investment, whether as a time capsule or to possibly make a little money. To each his own.

------------------
JJFieroFan
85 2m6 (85-91) should have kept it
85 2m6 (CLONE) (00-14) sold to a friend
87 Fiero GT (13-now)
07 Nissan Murano SL AWD (07-now)
15 Nissan Juke S AWD (15-now)

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2016 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

cudas are not worth millions..
only the hemi cudas are..
the 71 318 ones are 20-30k..
no matter,
they are not making any more 88 Fiero's and someone will buy it..

I don't know Cudas. My point is still the same. (Feel free to substitute whatever is a rare and expensive toy.) They're not making '71 HEMI Cudas anymore, either.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2016 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see a problem in the carfox report,

the car made it from:naoier, il to:humbolt, Texas and then all the way to Massachusetts and only has 600 miles on it?
Nextel dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2016 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey 84, check out this page from the sellers website which details the ownership history of the car.
You'll have to scroll half way down the page.

http://msclassiccarsllc.com...Details.aspx?vid=386
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2016 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I see a problem in the carfox report,

the car made it from:naoier, il to:humbolt, Texas and then all the way to Massachusetts and only has 600 miles on it?

It was likely transported. Most people don't buy used, low miles cars and drive them home doubling or tripling the original miles.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2016 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nextel dude:

Hey 84, check out this page from the sellers website which details the ownership history of the car.
You'll have to scroll half way down the page.

http://msclassiccarsllc.com...Details.aspx?vid=386

I did, did you see the odometer in those pictures? the numbers do not line up. a tell tale sign the odometer has been rolled back. and the phone number is a Taxachusettes area code, yet the place is located near providence road island on the map from that sites map.

While I have been wrong before, this just is to good to be true. it also said it had over 120 miles on it when purchased new, I worked for GM assembly plant in Taxachusettes. you can't sell a car as new with more than 100 miles, ether that car had a lot of problems at final repair or was a salesman's car or something just ain't right.

Steve

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-23-2016 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Steve

Read slower.
JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2016 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If someone decides to buy it who cares? It's their money to waste. Paying a certain amount for a car doesn't guarantee it is worth that amount. Maybe someone will want that car for whatever reason and pay what they have to. When you buy a new car, it depreciates immediately. So what? No reason to keep ragging on a perfectly good car. I saw no issues with the car fax. Read it more carefully.
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are talking about this car... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pon...ND-SEE-/122175888824

I have to be honest and say I'm a little shocked by some of the comments in this thread. You guys are Fiero enthusiasts, you should know better than anyone when it comes to prices on these cars. As a Fiero enthusiast myself and being in the classic car business for 33 years please let me help clear up some of the confusion. When it comes to these ultra low mileage original cars, it doesn't matter what kind of car it is, there is always a wealthy collector/investor willing to buy it. I have clients who have 70 car collections who buy cars for $50k just because they want it, that's Wall Street money. I have a friend who wholesales these low mileage cars for a living for the past 25 years, all dealers and auctions, he doesn't retail anything. He just sold an early 70's yellow 4-Door Caprice with green interior, it was the ugliest car I ever seen, but he had plenty of buyers because it was ultra low miles and original. There is an entire car world out there that the average working class car guy has no interaction with. When it comes to this 600 mile black GT, the Fair Market Retail Value is in the $19k to $24k range, so this dealer is spot on and there is nothing to complain about.

Now, what you guys SHOULD be upset about is dealer ads like this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/162...ue&item=162271866794

$22,000? This car was not rotisserie restored, the majority of the undercarriage is original and untouched, the catalytic converter has been cut-out and a test pipe welded in its place, plus numerous other errors in the description. To say this description is misleading would be an understatement, it is borderline criminal because they are intentionally trying to rip somebody off. This is a partially restored Fiero with over 100,000 miles and has a Fair Market Value between $6k and $8k. This is nothing new, just more greed that has got completely out of control.

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 11-08-2016).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:
Now, what you guys SHOULD be upset about is dealer ads like this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/162...ue&item=162271866794

$22,000? This car was not rotisserie restored, the majority of the undercarriage is original and untouched, the catalytic converter has been cut-out and a test pipe welded in its place, plus numerous other errors in the description. To say this description is misleading would be an understatement, it is borderline criminal because they are intentionally trying to rip somebody off. This is a partially restored Fiero with over 100,000 miles and has a Fair Market Value between $6k and $8k. This is nothing new, just more greed that has got completely out of control.
Not Kidding... 2 starting problems are:
"Dealer" selling w/ no cat could be trouble w/ State etc. Selling across state lines is likely a problem for dealer and/or buyer because no cat.
Blackout Taillights are illegal in most states. The tint is so dark can hardly see Brake lights On, see HM light a bit more to know push the brake in the Video and not even in Direct Sunlight to hide them.
Many places treat missing emissions etc as car is inoperable to drive. Won't pass inspection w/o cat and w/ Blackout TL in many places in the US or in other countries.

"Lotus Suspension" myth again
Look like Mr Mikes seats etc.
Sails Panels don't look OE.
Trophy claim is BS. "The car took 1st Place at the Pontiac Nationals!!" So what.
Miles list is 0 but farther down claim only "400" is admitting someone change or roll back the speedo. Means this Claim is BS.
"Fully Rebuilt Engine and Transmission" and yet claim car only had 400 miles?
New Polly bushing on some suspension on "400" mile car.
Video Claim "Restore to Brand New shape" is BS.
They Drove the car in the video but claim 0 miles.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive had my share of older Cudas and Challengers as well as other high dollar cars. I drove the hell out of each one of them. Two of my Cudas were daily drivers for years. To me it dont make sense to own it if you dont enjoy it. Walking out everyday to look at it in a garage is not enjoying it. When I rebuilt the GT40 kit I bought, I kept the 35 year old tires that were on it because you cant get the style of tire it was anymore without buying Trailblazer off road ones. They were the large letter, bias Goodyear outlined tires labeled G-60 x 15. They had no trouble driving on freeways...I didnt even carry a spare or jack.

before rebuild started

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-11-2016).]

andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd have no problem buying that car. It has obviously been stored in a controlled environment, and its got enough mileage on it to show that it has at least been taken around the block every now and then. Is $24K worth it? Probably not, but the market will determine what it eventually sells for. But seriously, there are a lot of old cars that you can buy for 24K, maybe not with 600 miles on it, but certainly with respectably low milage.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock