Trunk cooling (Engine area) fan ? by robert1234
Started on: 10-17-2016 08:53 PM
Replies: 12 (652 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 10-18-2016 10:06 PM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a post about a trunk (engine area) cooling fan. Is this real ?

Where is it on an 87 GT?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
100% fact. Pull the trunk carpet on the far right, Passenger side, and it is right there. There are 2 pipes the air comes out of one of them pointing at the coil/distributor cap.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 10-17-2016).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2016 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ironic. I did a head gasket on my 87 GT very recently, and never even touched the trunk fan. Honestly, it never kicked on before. I have spent days in my engine bay, and it has never ran in the past. Then, out of the blue, it turns on after the cooling fan went on during initial start up. No rhyme nor reason. It just works now.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
Pull the trunk carpet on the far right, Passenger side, and it is right there. T

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the '85-87 V6 engines had the "trunk blower" to cool the alternator and ignition coil. The '88 V6 uses a better alternator and better exhaust manifold heat shields, and as a result does not have a trunk blower. None of the 4-cyl Fieros came with a trunk blower.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awwh, ok.
I never hear mine come on, so I guess I had better check that. Another reason I like my 88 better...LOL

Thanks for the info.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

Awwh, ok.
I never hear mine come on, so I guess I had better check that. Another reason I like my 88 better...LOL

Thanks for the info.

The trunk fan is on at the same time the radiator fan is running when the fan temp switch on the engine closes.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exactly. The trunk blower is on the same electrical circuit as the radiator fan relay. So if you ground the fan switch connector, the trunk blower should come on, as well as the radiator fan.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 10-18-2016).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It also comes on anytime you activate the AC, if you have AC. That's because, as Blacktree pointed out, it's on the same circuit as the radiator fan, which turns on with the AC.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Exactly. The trunk blower is on the same electrical circuit as the radiator fan relay. So if you ground the fan switch connector, the trunk blower should come on, as well as the radiator fan.

I was told that the fan only comes on when A) the Radiator fan kicks on, and B) Your car is equiped with A/C.....My 85 SE V6 didn't have A/C...The fan NEVER ran.....I took it out, but may re-install it behind the IMSA scoop on the right side, then route the air along the fire wall to blow on the Distributor.....Oh yeah...I'll re-wire it so it runs as soon as the engine warms up.....

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks...I'll check it this weekend.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I was told that the fan only comes on when A) the Radiator fan kicks on, and B) Your car is equiped with A/C.....My 85 SE V6 didn't have A/C...The fan NEVER ran...

Are you suggesting that the trunk fan only ever runs on A/C equipped Fieros? No way! That wouldn't make any sense.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet: I was told that the fan only comes on when A) the Radiator fan kicks on, and B) Your car is equiped with A/C...

According to the wiring schematics, the radiator fan relay and trunk blower relay are wired in parallel. So either the fan switch or the A/C system should be able to trigger both fans simultaneously. Hopefully that clears up any confusion.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock