Gatorback belt with Rodney's 2.8L idler pulley by Jason88Notchie
Started on: 10-13-2016 03:25 PM
Replies: 7 (406 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 10-17-2016 05:48 PM
Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to run a Gatorback belt. The Dayco that Rodney recommends seems pretty horrible. Is anyone out there running a Gatorback with Rodney's setup? If so could someone pass along a part number or specs on it? The one I see from Goodyear is a 47.5" 6 rib belt. The Dayco that Rodney uses is a 47" 5 rib belt. Length may work. But width is questionable.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this belt and just bought it off Amazon for 11 bucks including expedited shipping. Continental Elite 4050470 Poly-V / Serpentine Belt It will be delivered between the 17th and the 20th. Stay tuned.

Continental bought the engineering rights from Goodyear to produce the Gatorbacks...FYI....

[This message has been edited by Jason88Notchie (edited 10-13-2016).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you ever find yourself with the correct length belt but it has too many ribs you can easily cut it down. Place a razor blade or sharp knife into the groove you want to remove with the tip jabbed into wood like a work bench or 2x4. Then pull the belt so that your razor cuts along the groove. Takes only a few seconds and you end up with a belt with one less rib.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sold my 2.8 GT a few months ago, and never had any issues with a regular belt,

What issues were people having?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:

I sold my 2.8 GT a few months ago, and never had any issues with a regular belt,

What issues were people having?

It looks like you live in a dry region. Perhaps you've never had an issue, but the belt wrap on the alternator of a 2.8 is so minimal that water/rain getting on the belt often results in squealing. It's a helluva problem in a wet climate. For me, Dodgerunner's auto-tensioner solved the problem completely.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

It looks like you live in a dry region. Perhaps you've never had an issue, but the belt wrap on the alternator of a 2.8 is so minimal that water/rain getting on the belt often results in squealing. It's a helluva problem in a wet climate. For me, Dodgerunner's auto-tensioner solved the problem completely.

That's the ideal solution. I went with Rodney's idler pulley because Dodgerunner's wasn't out at the time. I've never had any problems with belt squeal with Rodney's setup. If Dodgerunner's had been available at the time, I'd have gone with it for the tensioner.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in a pretty humid climate being next to a big lake. There is that and whenever it rains, I still get a slight chirp. Belt is running true right down the middle. No deflection. But it drives me nuts. That's why I'm going with the Gatorback. I may have a ever so slight pulley misalignment....but I'm going this route. My belts (s) came in today...(yes they tossed two more in the package). I'll cover this in a further post as soon as I can find my damn USB cord!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

I live in a pretty humid climate being next to a big lake. There is that and whenever it rains, I still get a slight chirp.

A "slight chirp" is one thing. Having it scream like a banshee (like mine was doing in the rain) is quite another.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock