Cragar rim identification by Detainabull
Started on: 10-11-2016 09:43 PM
Replies: 12 (3145 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 10-14-2016 11:44 AM
Detainabull

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2016 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These rims came on an 87 GT that I bought. Just trying to get a model number so I can replace the center caps when I get them cleaned up. They're definitely cragar rims. Inside of the rim is stamped cragar industries. They're is a 100 stamp on the hub section and a dot-t number on the back of the rim as well. Just can't seem to find this rim or centercaps. Sendel rims had a very similar wheel if that helps. Thanks

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.[/URL]
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.[/URL]

[This message has been edited by Detainabull (edited 10-11-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2016 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cragar wheels are steel hoop and alum center, that only changed when they were sold to a co. in china in the 2000's.
are you sure those are cragar wheels
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2016 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you post a picture of the one on the front wheel and possibly a measurement of the total diameter? You can buy Cragar or even universal center caps based on the size.

I'm with E.Furgal on this one. I have never seen any Cragar wheels that look like those.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-11-2016).]

hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2016 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I deal with Cragar and they did have wheels like this years ago. To be honest odds are slim you will get a cap for these today as they were discontinued years ago and while owned by another corporation.

I have had a working relationship with Cragar. I may have an old catalog that may list this wheel model number but the odds are slim they have anything.

FYI they are not owned by a company in China. At least not yet. They also have made a large range of aluminum wheels as well as steel wheels over the years. The Cragar SS wheels are just the one they are most known for. They even own Keystone wheels and still make their traditional style wheels.

Might note that there are other wheels out there that are similar in style as in the 80's this was a popular style that many knock offs were made like this. Their caps may fit if you can find any. Prime Wheel and American racing sold very similar as well and Enkei.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 10-12-2016).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2016 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

I deal with Cragar and they did have wheels like this years ago. To be honest odds are slim you will get a cap for these today as they were discontinued years ago and while owned by another corporation.

I have had a working relationship with Cragar. I may have an old catalog that may list this wheel model number but the odds are slim they have anything.

FYI they are not owned by a company in China. At least not yet. They also have made a large range of aluminum wheels as well as steel wheels over the years. The Cragar SS wheels are just the one they are most known for. They even own Keystone wheels and still make their traditional style wheels.

Might note that there are other wheels out there that are similar in style as in the 80's this was a popular style that many knock offs were made like this. Their caps may fit if you can find any. Prime Wheel and American racing sold very similar as well and Enki.

Those look like ecken (sp?) not cragar,, cragar might have carried them.. but they don't look like anything cragar itself made..
Oh and where are the cragar wheels made for the last 12 years or so.?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2016 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Those look like ecken (sp?) not cragar,, cragar might have carried them.. but they don't look like anything cragar itself made..
Oh and where are the cragar wheels made for the last 12 years or so.?

I am not going to argue with you. The Cragar wheels company is owned by The Carlstar Group from Franklin TN and has many plants here in the states making wheels and tires. They do import a limited number of wheels and tires but most are made in country.

You can still get a custom offset made in many of their lines because most are still made here.

Most major wheel makers still make wheels here and only the cheap knock off wheels are imported some from China and many from Brazil and South America. Most of them are identified where you have little or no choice in back space and with no option of custom orders.

I have been a Cragar dealer for 23 years.

Based on your comments you appear to think all they make are the Crager SS where with the chrome outer steel rim and the cheap aluminum center. Well for decades they have made a variety of wheels more than just the SS.

Spelling or not what the hell is a eken wheel? Are you trying to say Enkei? If so they did offer a similar wheel but as I have outlined so did Cragar and American Racing, Prime Wheel and many other off brand cheap imports that no one has even heard of or can even recall today.

Based on the fact he said these said Cragar on the inside it appears that these are Cragar wheels. It does not take a genius to figure this one out.

If you want to argue the point here find someone else. I am just trying to help this guy as it is an area I work in and a wheel I recall but it was one from years ago. This wheel may have been at least two owners ago for Cragar as they were sold several times in my near 25 years of dealing with their account.

Might keep not only are not all their wheels at Cragar are imported today but these wheels are close to 20-30 years old and few wheels back then were imported.

I have not only deal with wheels at my present job for 23 years but I also have in past jobs at a advertising firm where we dealt with many types of wheels for advertising for the major tire companies in print and events like SEMA. So to make this short I am not pulling this out of my butt here and have worked with this wheel in the past. I even know how to spell Enkei if that is what you were trying to do.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 10-12-2016).]

Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2016 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are definitely cragar wheels. On the back of the rim on the lip it says "cragar industries" "Made in the USA". They're also stamped with the size of 15x7 and include load ratings and what not. I've seen some similar center caps to the one i have, but I'm missing one and the caps are completely faded to a light blue almost nothing on the center part where cragar used to be. Just taking a shot in trying to identify and match these up.

Also as far as ownership goes, I bought this as a parts car from a lost title owner, who also bought this car from the original owner. So as far as I know I'm the the third owner. It had a old business card from Pontiac in the glovebox about the wheel locks and getting a replacement tool if necessary. So these may have been ordered from Pontiac with the original owner. Just a thought

[This message has been edited by Detainabull (edited 10-12-2016).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2016 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Detainabull:

They are definitely cragar wheels. On the back of the rim on the lip it says "cragar industries" "Made in the USA". They're also stamped with the size of 15x7 and include load ratings and what not. I've seen some similar center caps to the one i have, but I'm missing one and the caps are completely faded to a light blue almost nothing on the center part where cragar used to be. Just taking a shot in trying to identify and match these up.

Also as far as ownership goes, I bought this as a parts car from a lost title owner, who also bought this car from the original owner. So as far as I know I'm the the third owner. It had a old business card from Pontiac in the glovebox about the wheel locks and getting a replacement tool if necessary. So these may have been ordered from Pontiac with the original owner. Just a thought

I looked up the wheels to get a style number but I have trashed my oldest Cragar catalogs so I can not get the style number.

These were made in the time Mr Gasket owned them and some of these wheels were outsourced to other MFG. They would change the center caps and install their own caps. Later they were sold to the Mr Gasket employees and then to a couple other companies. Each one has a little different business plan and the only things they kept were a couple model wheels like the SS that still lose their chrome on the spokes after a year or so.

I will look around at work as some guys here do not toss their old stuff. I will see if I can get a model number for you.

In the mean time you may want to check the other similar wheels and they may have a cap that will work as others may have come from the same MFG if these were made for Cragar in an out sourced situation.

Think of these wheels like some of the private brand tires. You can see some generic tires like a Cavalier tire but it was made by BFG. Same for Kelly Springfield that is made and owned by Goodyear. Riken used to be made by BFG but may be made by someone else now.

The performance aftermarket is not a stable business and many companies share suppliers and often make things for each other anymore or buy each other out. Case in point MSD now owns Mallory, Holley owns a lot of companies now like Lunati, Hooker etc.

If I can find the number I will post it for you. It may be 50-50 with the time that has passed.

I noted your last comments. I doubt the wheels were bought from a Pontiac dealer if that is what you meant. The lug locks may have been as many dealers back then offered them. It was an option on the Fiero back then too. I have set of factory locks on my car. Dealers generally did not get mixed up with aftermarket wheels much as they did not want to get into warranty issues. GM would not touch any warranty issue caused or created with a lower cost aftermarket wheel and this would scare off many dealers from getting involved. Even today they offer the GM RPO wheels today as they make money on them and there is no warranty issues. Still there may have been an odd dealer that could have offered but it was not common.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2016 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I said, if you can get a measurement of the cap, you can try a cap from Prime Wheels. They seemed to specialize in wheels with large center caps.

See this link:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.h...+wheels+cap&_sacat=0

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-12-2016).]

Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2016 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks guys, it's a 6in center cap and looks a lot like what you posted IMSA GT. I'll just have to browse ebay and find something with that style and diameter. Thanks for the help everyone
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2016 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Detainabull:

Ok thanks guys, it's a 6in center cap and looks a lot like what you posted IMSA GT. I'll just have to browse ebay and find something with that style and diameter. Thanks for the help everyone

I listed Prime too but also watch for American Racing, Enkei and a number of off brand wheels that were also offered with a similar cap.

Note may use the screw to hold them on and some will snap so just something to consider.

My wheels are Prime and I have the center nut like the one in the photo on a gold wheel. These pop out. I got a set of new hex centers and used a modified center from a Pontiac hub cap to make the wheels appear more factory like. Keep this in mind if you want to make the centers all the same. I trimmed the cap center down, repainted it and glued it in. Many people think my wheels are factory since they are the Pontiac style lace.

Prime even did make wheels for Pontiac as my factory GTP wheels were Prime.

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2016 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am not going to argue with you. The Cragar wheels company is owned by The Carlstar Group from Franklin TN and has many plants here in the states making wheels and tires. They do import a limited number of wheels and tires but most are made in country.

You can still get a custom offset made in many of their lines because most are still made here.

Most major wheel makers still make wheels here and only the cheap knock off wheels are imported some from China and many from Brazil and South America. Most of them are identified where you have little or no choice in back space and with no option of custom orders.

Based on your comments you appear to think all they make are the Crager SS where with the chrome outer steel rim and the cheap aluminum center. Well for decades they have made a variety of wheels more than just the SS.

Spelling or not what the hell is a eken wheel? Are you trying to say Enkei? If so they did offer a similar wheel but as I have outlined so did Cragar and American Racing, Prime Wheel and many other off brand cheap imports that no one has even heard of or can even recall today.

Based on the fact he said these said Cragar on the inside it appears that these are Cragar wheels. It does not take a genius to figure this one out.

If you want to argue the point here find someone else. I am just trying to help this guy as it is an area I work in and a wheel I recall but it was one from years ago. This wheel may have been at least two owners ago for Cragar as they were sold several times in my near 25 years of dealing with their account.

Might keep not only are not all their wheels at Cragar are imported today but these wheels are close to 20-30 years old and few wheels back then were imported.

I have not only deal with wheels at my present job for 23 years but I also have in past jobs at a advertising firm where we dealt with many types of wheels for advertising for the major tire companies in print and events like SEMA. So to make this short I am not pulling this out of my butt here and have worked with this wheel in the past. I even know how to spell Enkei if that is what you were trying to do.

Welp.. what to say, what to say...
I spent my break at work going through my Cragar catalogs and pricing guides.. from 1974 to 2015..
But what ever you say..
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Welp.. what to say, what to say...
I spent my break at work going through my Cragar catalogs and pricing guides.. from 1974 to 2015..
But what ever you say..

Hmmm... gonna go with hyperv6 on this one... I hope this exchange was helpful to the OP, anyway.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock