New to me 85 GT unfortunately already damaged by Cross85
Started on: 10-10-2016 07:27 PM
Replies: 13 (284 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 10-16-2016 07:35 PM
Cross85

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cross85Send a Private Message to Cross85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I recently got a near pristine 85 gt from my grandfather. Under 40k miles, in a heated garage for the last 14 years, looks absolutely incredible with very little rust on it. Really happy with it and I'll have it for fun when I'm not driving my civic.

So a story of how the molding and some paint is damaged:
Unfortunately on the drive home from buying it the drivers side rear tire blew. I didn't think to much of it. Most likely he wasn't changing the tires frequently enough and I was the one who was going to pay for it. I picked up my car today from Belle Tire after having it towed there (nearest place to where it broke down that stocked the right size of tire) and found that part of the molding above the rear drivers side wheel well was broken and there are chips out of the paint in the same area up to the fuel cover. The tire that blew didn't come apart enough to even hit the wheel well from what I can tell and there's no damage anywhere else around the wheel. I didn't notice any damage when I put the spare on and there's no damage to anything else around there and Belle Tire simply told me it was most likely the tire popping that broke it and refused to say anything else. They won't look into it, ask anyone, nothing. Maybe they're right and somehow I didn't see the damage and the wheel broke apart in a specific way that reached out to hit a single part of the car but the absolute lack of willingness to help me is upsetting none the less. Needless to say I'm a bit upset and won't be going to a Belle Tire again.

So now I'm looking for molding for the 85 GT and I'll have to get the area repainted. I looked at the fiero store and found only the molding for the 86-88. Anywhere else I might find the molding or should I get some other molding and try to cut it down or something? If the molding for the 86-88 would fit on and I could just shape it to look at least ok that would be good enough I guess but I'd rather not spend the money on molding that won't fit easily anyways.

Would like to get it fixed and ready to store through a West Michigan winter as soon as I can.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about your predicament.

A post of this sort cries out for a picture or two. In this forum, the use of PIP (if you're running Windows) is favored to post images. Maximum width is 1024 pixels, and maximum file size is 300 kb.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-10-2016).]

Cross85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cross85Send a Private Message to Cross85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is the damage. Rest of the area around the wheel well still looks beautiful, no scratches anywhere else, checked where the exhaust and brake line come in and those seem to be fine too, thankfully. If there was damage anywhere else or the scratches didn't extend out so far I wouldn't think that it was done when the tire was changed. Of course I don't have a whole lot of experience with tires blowing but it has happened a couple of times to me and there was never damage around the side on other vehicles.

The metal piece under the molding is bent and the plastic is possibly broken although I didn't pull it back enough to really check it.

Here's the car when I got it when it was still pretty. (Hopefully I used PIP right)

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cross85:

Hopefully I used PIP right.

Some people have been here for years and can't figure out PIP. You did good.

The first image is helpful, as I immediately noticed the molding around your wheel wells isn't factory.... but unfortunately the ribbed molding along the belt line appears to be broken where it terminates at the wheel well. However, it won't be difficult to find a replacement for this at a wrecking yard or in the Mall here.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-10-2016).]

Cross85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cross85Send a Private Message to Cross85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With a CS degree I guess I should be able to figure out PIP, was worried I would embarrass myself.

There are a few things on it that aren't stock. Original owner did a bunch of stuff to it in 86 and 87. Different spoiler supposedly produced in 86 as well and I'll be doing my best to figure out everything else that isn't stock in the coming weeks to make sure I know exactly what I have. Luckily having got it from family I have evidence that it has been running well for a while so I'm not worried about any of the parts. Maybe it's worth redoing all the molding then so it matches I guess.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully you will be able to keep it in a heated garage as well.

Michigan winters can destroy cars with rust
Cross85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cross85Send a Private Message to Cross85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:

Hopefully you will be able to keep it in a heated garage as well.

Michigan winters can destroy cars with rust

I'll be storing it for sure and it won't see snow. If it turns out I can't keep it in good condition I'll sell it to someone who can before I let it rust away. Hopefully that doesn't happen though because I'm a fan of it.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cross85:

I'll be storing it for sure and it won't see snow. If it turns out I can't keep it in good condition I'll sell it to someone who can before I let it rust away. Hopefully that doesn't happen though because I'm a fan of it.

Great another Fiero in West Michigan. I tell people that I talk to that they wont believe the number of Fieros in West Michigan. Some are garage queens, some are behind the garage queens, some actually get driven on the street a few times, then there are few of us that drive them every day. If you can store it in a heated or somewhat heated garage. I would start it up every so often to keep the battery charged, the fluids working good. Are you going to put some thing under the tires to keep them good? I read on the forum that some one use wood I think underneath the car to keep the moisture from coming up out of the cement floor.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 10-10-2016).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2016 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost looks like someone hit this area with the fuel nozzle (multiple times) and chipped the paint. A tire would cause wide-spread damage.
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that trim piece even supposed to be there? Never seen wheel well holding before.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by andreww:

Is that trim piece even supposed to be there? Never seen wheel well holding before.

Originally posted by Patrick:

The first image is helpful, as I immediately noticed the molding around your wheel wells isn't factory....

PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by andreww:

Nope, it is aftermarket. Held on by and adhesive.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any updates?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That chip can be fixed using body filler with the fiberglass threads in it. Prop up the area in back of the damage with a piece of thin plastic, apply filler and shape it to the contour of the fender well with a "cheese grater" body file. Finish sand, prime, sand again and paint. The best job would be at a body shop that has a computer/scanner for paint matching.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock