Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3800 Swap Cruise Control Question for an 86 GT also how to remove "speed limiter"

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Swap Cruise Control Question for an 86 GT also how to remove "speed limiter" by JohnWPB
Started on: 10-10-2016 04:26 PM
Replies: 4 (760 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 10-17-2016 10:15 AM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just completing a swap, and am wondering what to do for the cruise control. I know the option to switch to digital is available on a stock 2.8, or use the stock vacuum setup. With the 3800 swap and computer, what is required for cruise control?

Secondly, is there a way to change, or remove, the low speed limiter? Not sure what to call it..... I am talking about the cruise not working till you get up to 35~40 miles an hour or so. I would love to be able to program it to work no matter what the speed. Such as stopping at a traffic light, then just tapping resume when the light turns green. Also to be able to set it for 20MPH in school zones ect. Is there a way to change this?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2016 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bypassed the PCM on my 3800 swap, but I did upgrade to the Electronic Cruise. It was pretty easy, using the stock cruise wiring . Needed to add a 4k ppm line and a 12v ign source line. I also added a line to give a Cruise Set signal to an LED in the dash (Optional). Here's a wiring diagram of mine. I used Scotch Lock connectors to "splice" the wires at the old Cruise module connector. Other notations are specific to this particular harness, but I think you can get the info you need.

As far as I know, there is no way to program Cruise Speeds in the stock PCM. I think the programming is in the Cruise Module itself??

[This message has been edited by darbysan (edited 10-12-2016).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2016 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Just completing a swap, and am wondering what to do for the cruise control. I know the option to switch to digital is available on a stock 2.8, or use the stock vacuum setup. With the 3800 swap and computer, what is required for cruise control?

Secondly, is there a way to change, or remove, the low speed limiter? Not sure what to call it..... I am talking about the cruise not working till you get up to 35~40 miles an hour or so. I would love to be able to program it to work no matter what the speed. Such as stopping at a traffic light, then just tapping resume when the light turns green. Also to be able to set it for 20MPH in school zones ect. Is there a way to change this?

John.

I have just used independent electronic cruise controls with my 3800 SC engines. The Series III engine has a Rosta cruise control and has been operational for about five years. The Series II engine is getting a new electronic cruise control (AP 500) because one the of the required dashboard circuits failed in the dash and I am too lazy to pull and replace the damaged circuit. Electronic cruise control is the way to go for me an it takes up a lot less space than a conventional vacuum operated cruise control.

Nelson
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will the Rosta cruise control work with the stock Fiero GM cruise stock? The large square box with the switches on it is, well, pretty ugly

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 10-16-2016).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Will the Rosta cruise control work with the stock Fiero GM cruise stock? The large square box with the switches on it is, well, pretty ugly

John,

The standard stalk may work with the Rosta but I would suggest contacting the maker for a more educated opinion. I know that other electronic cruise controls have options for either stalk or panel mount controllers. BTW, I hid my Rosta controller in the ash tray of a F355 interior. That has a sliding cover and when it is closed you cannot even see the controller.

Here are pictures of the controller options and components offered with the AP 500 electronic cruise control. There are three options for the controller if anyone has specific likes/dislikes.

http://www.shop.brandondist...uise-Switches_c2.htm

Here are pictures of the controller options and components offered with the AP 500 electronic cruise control. There is also an option that attaches to the steering wheel.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 10-18-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock