Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Can a really bad finish be removed on the plastic Fiero body?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can a really bad finish be removed on the plastic Fiero body? by tedstur
Started on: 08-03-2016 10:25 PM
Replies: 15 (456 views)
Last post by: Bruce on 08-07-2016 06:27 PM
tedstur

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tedsturSend a Private Message to tedsturEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(This is my second attempt to post this... sorry if I have messed up. I am a first time poster)

Yesterday I was at a friend's business and he has a white 1984 sitting out back. I know it's not the fastest and greatest Fiero out there, but it's the exact model I owned back in the day, so I am interested in her. She supposedly runs (we will see...) but the finish is in really bad shape. She has sat in the FL sun for the past few years and the hood feels very rough. If you look close, you can see pretty significant texture on the finish and it 100% dull.

There is a cracked section above the rear passenger side wheel well as well that would require fixing.

I can probably have her for about $400. 87,000 miles on some deflated Eagle GT tires with lots of tread left.

Any thoughts? Worth $400??

Here are some pics...

FieroFront

FieroBack2

FieroBack

FieroSide
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the trunk look like? Pull back the carpet & check for rust. If it's clean of rust & runs, it's certainly worth that imo.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old tires, flat or not, parked for years on dirt often = tires are trash.
Dirt often have chemicals that will crack rubber between treads and will let water etc to attack the belts.

Then add Flat tires for years can/will have problems inside even tires look ok on the outside.

Careful sand and repaint.
Cannot use most paint strippers.

Likely Have brake problems too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-04-2016).]

liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would ask if you will do any necessary repairs yourself or if you will have a shop do it? You will probably want to do an oil change, coolant flush and refill, other fluids, belts, brakes, tires. If you do it all yourself it shouldn't cost more than $1-1.2k including the purchase to get it all up and ready to go. In that case I would say its worth it and will be a fun car for little cost. If you have a shop do everything, it could add up to another 1k. In that case you could probably find another similar one for the same price that is already up and running which would save the hassle and time of dealing with a shop.

About the paint, it can be done but will take considerable time or money if you pay someone to do it. It will just need to be sanded down till it is smooth before continuing with the normal paint process.

If it was me I would buy it. I love the feeling of taking something a bit rundown and then bringing it back to a nice condition.
tedstur

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tedsturSend a Private Message to tedsturEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the advice. I will be going back for a 2nd look when the keys appear - hopefully today (they couldn't find them). I will check the trunk area first!

I would do all the work myself, including the painting. I will report back what I find.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Ogre. The ONLY safe way to remove the bad paint on any plastic body is to SAND it off. Also agree about the flat tires and brakes. The brakes may work, but if you have to make a panic stop youll just end up blowing out the seals or lines and being with no brakes. ANY gas in the tank is NO GOOD and all the fuel system needs looked into good.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad pitting in the surface can be repaired with the CORRECT filler. There's a diagram somewhere that shows which panels are made of which compound, SMC etc.

Edit to add image :
------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 08-04-2016).]

tedstur

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tedsturSend a Private Message to tedsturEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When y'all say "Needs a brake job" you evidently aren't talking about new shoes. You mean new lines and all?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plan on new brakes (calipers, pads, rotors). If it was sitting on the ground, brake lines may be rusted and have to be replaced. Floor could be rusted. You will need new tires. Gas tank may be full of gunk.

Basically, you will end up spending $1K or more to get this back on the road (safely). So... $1500 for a Fiero... then you don't know if it will even run properly, or if the tranny is toast, or the headlights work, etc..

Just saying.... it may be better to look for something that someone has running.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tedstur:
When y'all say "Needs a brake job" you evidently aren't talking about new shoes. You mean new lines and all?
Maybe. Likely... Example: Rotors will have a lot of rust from sitting. Even no other damage, many shops won't turn the rusty rotors.

I've spent $500+ to Restore my brakes... New rotors, Good pads, rubber hoses, parking brake cables, etc.
Some examples:
Good SAE J1401 "rubber" is a lot better then OE w/o headaches. just that cost around $80. (see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129208.html )
New rotors for front often needs new bearings and seals. expect ~$100 or more for 4 rotors etc.
Likely need new/rebuild calipers... another ~$120 or more

See my Cave, Brake Service and rest of brake section
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32246 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
Basically, you will end up spending $1K or more to get this back on the road (safely). So... $1500 for a Fiero... then you don't know if it will even run properly, or if the tranny is toast, or the headlights work, etc..

Just saying.... it may be better to look for something that someone has running.
Getting a Running car often does not mean much.
Many used cars are sold w/ major problems. Worse when have lowered suspension, brake "upgrades," etc. Even "flood" cars are fix enough to sell...

How many times do we hear PO cut wires, etc, and have to figure out headaches and fix then just on PFF alone?
Or Worse PO did a hack job to "upgrade" the brakes, suspension, HL, body....

You need a expert to check them to drive w/o dangerous problems.
PFF
System Bot
tedstur

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tedsturSend a Private Message to tedsturEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I didn't get very far because this fabulous fiero forum freed me from forking over funds for a for sure failure.

I just came from the car. The first thing I did was roll back the trunk liner to find a big rusty mess. As soon as I saw that... I was gone.

It's too bad but thanks so much for the advice here.

I will keep looking for a car...

Rust
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least you can test drive it. That was the point I was making. Of course it should be looked over closely, as that goes for any purchase.

Originally posted by theogre:

Getting a Running car often does not mean much.
Many used cars are sold w/ major problems. Worse when have lowered suspension, brake "upgrades," etc. Even "flood" cars are fix enough to sell...

How many times do we hear PO cut wires, etc, and have to figure out headaches and fix then just on PFF alone?
Or Worse PO did a hack job to "upgrade" the brakes, suspension, HL, body....

You need a expert to check them to drive w/o dangerous problems.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd look around for a running driving close match of your original car sale first. Craigslist? Could easily find one that will cost less, need less work in the long run.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-04-2016).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any Fiero that has been sitting outside for a long time should be considered a parts car. Unless it's running and driving expect to replace everything. It's not worth it as long as there are running and driving Fieros left in the world.
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try to find one that has been in a dry climate. After 30 years the bodies take a beating from moisture, salt, and creatures.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock