Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Held Motorsports 88 Front Coilover Shocks?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Held Motorsports 88 Front Coilover Shocks? by Bigfieroman
Started on: 08-03-2016 06:32 PM
Replies: 9 (777 views)
Last post by: Bigfieroman on 08-23-2016 06:35 PM
Bigfieroman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had Held Motorsports Coilovers all around on my 88 GT as long as I have owned it. I recently got it running again, and unfortunately, both front shocks have begun to leak oil. Searching around, I found the Held was bought out by Arraut Motorsports:

http://www.arrautmotorsports.com/

I have called several times and sent an e-mail, but they have yet to answer the phone or respond.

Looking at the old website in the internet archive, they don't mention what the base model shock is, or even the brand. They did offer a QA1 externally-adjustable shock, but that is not what I have. I went under the car and took a close look, all I can find is "P01121 B030 073" and Made in USA. Internet searching didn't find any shocks with part numbers like that.

Anyone have a clue where I can get replacements?

------------------

More info at: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043357.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep calling. Eventually Richard does answer the phone. He seems to answer emails once in a while but takes a long while. I recently bought front and back widetrack lowering suspension for my 88 from him. I got it with the QA1s.
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is heartening. Thank you.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I had to guess, I'd say back then HELD was using KYB or Koni... But if it was when West Shore first bought them and Eric owned the company, he had switched to QA1...
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They offered 2 different shocks for the front 88 coilovers. The stock unit was a 3-position internally adjustable unit, and the website didn't mention the brand. There was an option to get the coilovers with 12-position externally adjustable QA1 shocks as well. I have the stock shocks...and I cannot tell what brand they are without taking them out of the car and disassembling them.
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2016 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock, 3 position shocks are:
Carrera / QA-1 Part N: 2552254

http://www.speedwaymotors.c...t-Rod-Shock,177.html

-Dave
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2016 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bigfieroman:

They offered 2 different shocks for the front 88 coilovers. The stock unit was a 3-position internally adjustable unit, and the website didn't mention the brand. There was an option to get the coilovers with 12-position externally adjustable QA1 shocks as well. I have the stock shocks...and I cannot tell what brand they are without taking them out of the car and disassembling them.

Koni are 3-position
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2016 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IFLYR22:

-Dave

I'm guessing those are the same shocks they use in their '84-87 front suspension kits?
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2016 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IFLYR22:

-Dave

I don't think those are correct. The top mount of my shocks are a threaded rod with a bushing on either side, like an end link for a sway bar.
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2016 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to share what I found out. The original shocks were Carrera 3255. They were discontinued years ago, but they are intermittently available in this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car...AOSwYlJW4YUu&vxp=mtr

You will have to change the top mount off of the existing shocks. Of course, when I needed them, the auction said that they were sold out, so...

I called QA1 because they bought Carrera in 2004, and the tech guy told me that these Carrera 3255s had been discontinued for some time. In fact, I don't think they actually Carrera brand shocks anymore at all. The replacement QA1 shock is P/N 7555 (~$98), and to adapt the top mount to a stud-style as needed for our cars, the kit P/N is MK13 (~$14). These shocks are non-adjustable, and are slightly stiffer than the middle setting of the Carrera 3255.

The aluminum, adjustable QA1 shocks are DS401 ($160), and the kit to adapt them is SS110SDM ($35). I went this route, but it is important to note that the lower perch doesn't go as low as it did on the Carreras and I actually had to buy new Eibach 6" coilover springs as well ($120/pair). So, in the end I spent $500 instead of $140 if those stupid original Carreras had been available when I needed them. Yay. At least I learned a lot. Thank you all for the help!

------------------

More info at: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043357.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock