Started on: 07-31-2016 10:31 PM
Replies: 18 (864 views)
Last post by: Sage on 08-11-2016 09:31 PM
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another fastback IMSA body enters the world from Fierowarehouse/Sage Glassworks.

Not exactly "earth shaking" news....but just thought I'd let everybody know, we're still around, and so are the original DGP IMSA molds from IRM.

There was a time when I might have been able to turn this kit out inside of a week or two, but time passes and things change.

I've spent several months as I had time, laying up this kit for a very patient customer.

Just letting everybody know, we're still kicking and making fiberglass stuff!

Anyway, I'm not much for speeches so here's some pics:

And as most of us know, if assembled properly and sweat over long enough, this is what all those parts can become:

That green one is for sale in the mall for anybody that may be interested who hasn't already seen it.

Great looking car if you ask me!

Thanks for looking & HAGO!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome job as always Sage ! What state is this kit headed for ?

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 07-31-2016).]

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a proud new owner of your chin spoiler and ribbed scoops, keep up the fantastic work! Hoping to see Doug again soon for more! That IMSA spoiler had me drooling!
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a shame you didn't have the door skins available when I bought my kit. That would have saved me some serious bodywork time.
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Awesome job as always Sage ! What state is this kit headed for ?

Thanks Tony.

I was told it's going to NY, that's all the info I've got, other than the owner is coming down to pick it up rather than having it shipped.

viperine: we can make one of those IMSA spoilers for you!

IMSA GT: PM sent.

HAGO!

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

viperine: we can make one of those IMSA spoilers for you!

Yes. Yes they can.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great stuff, Sage. Always was a great looking Fiero version. Now, with all that spare time, you can finally fill that shop with that project you're going to do.

Bob
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The green IRM that is for sale is an outstanding car, owned by a member in the MAFOA. I have seen this car in person twice it's in beautiful condition and it has a turbo charged 2.8 that will make the car move as fast as it looks. I don't know the asking price but the owner is not giving it away as it is a true IRM build and a piece if FIERO history.

Glad to see the molds are alive and well and hopefully the sales of new IMSA's will support the investment Sage has made

Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the pic Steve.

Bob, believe it or not, I still have orders for other stuff to get out. My progress on my "project" still consists of opening the flap door on the "tent" and looking to make sure the critters haven't either moved in and taken over completely, or carried the whole thing off into the woods!

steve308: All the IRM molds were purchased and are owned by Doug at Fierowarehouse, I just make them produce!LOL

It was a huge investment for him at the time, but it was something he really wanted to do. He has always been a big fan of the IMSA bodied cars, and wanted to help preserve the source. He made many sacrifices in order to pull off the deal. I'm not sure he's even broke even yet, and likely never will, but he's made peace with that I guess. He did put the Fierowarehouse up for sale a couple years ago, and came close to letting it go, but a mutually beneficial arrangement was never reached.

Just a little trivia.....

HAGO!
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-04-2016 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sage, can you do this body in carbon fiber? If so, any idea what the price would be for that?
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm curious why the rear wheel area cutout isn't like stock but just wider...
I'm running 17x10 wheels and they stick out almost 2" from the stock wheel-well... I'm having a problem where extreme body roll makes the fender rub my tire... How much wider than stock is that section?
PFF
System Bot
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Sage, can you do this body in carbon fiber? If so, any idea what the price would be for that?

dobey: Can the molds be used to lay up carbon fiber parts.......probably. Can "I" lay them up.......probably not.

I've never really worked with carbon fiber, but in essence, to my understanding, it is basically the same thing as fiberglass, with carbon fiber instead of fiberglass cloth or matt as the "reinforcement" in the FRP formula. (All composites comprised of resin encasing a reinforcing material can be considered "FRP's") The difference (again as I understand it) is that you have to really be very carefull how you place the fiber, especially if you want to use it as it comes out of the mold, no painting after the fact. The pattern in the weave shows in the finished part, I really think that's at least part of the attraction of the material, but it started out for weight to strength ratio purposes, AGAIN, as "I" understand it. I've not delved into it in much depth, so I'm sure my simple explanation here is lacking.

One of the reasons I've NOT looked into it further is from first glance, it looks pretty cost prohibitive to me. REAL carbon fiber material is EXPENSIVE, and therefore would require a high retail on the parts made from it. As most of us know, the majority of Fiero owners like a bargain, and carbon fiber parts would hardly be in that category!

So the short answer to your questions is, yes it could more than likely be made in carbon fiber....but no....I'm not going to attempt it.

Originaly posted by lou_dias:

I'm curious why the rear wheel area cutout isn't like stock but just wider...
I'm running 17x10 wheels and they stick out almost 2" from the stock wheel-well... I'm having a problem where extreme body roll makes the fender rub my tire... How much wider than stock is that section?

lou_dias: That has been a subject of "contention" for even potential IMSA body owners. If you followed Russ Camps build and/or TroyBoys build by Archie, both of them chose to enlarge the rear wells so that they more closely resembled the factory configuration. IOW, they opened it up so the top of the well was above the belt line trim, like the stock bodied Fiero.

The wide body molds that we use are two inches wider than stock, resulting in 4 inches overall increase in width.

Hope that answers your questions.

If not, let me know and we'll try a different perspective.

Thanks for looking & HAGO!

Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

It's a shame you didn't have the door skins available when I bought my kit. That would have saved me some serious bodywork time.

What's the difference between stock skin and his?

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2016 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! I was asking because I may need a rear kit someday if they get strict at the track...

For the front, I want to buy a 93-97 Firebird nose and fenders and try to adapt that for a smoother look. I'll probably punch in the nose similar to the Piranha/Laura nose...but perhaps more like stock GT look.
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tried to locate the site, but its coming up with only old GeoCities or something links.

Anything current I could peruse?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the last working link I had to the website.
It was working a few days ago, but seems to not be working, now.

http://www.ovis.net/~dmkfiero/

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-07-2016).]

Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mentioned this problem to Doug several weeks ago. Then the next day, the link worked again.

Not sure what's going on with it.

Doug said he was going to look into it, but I'm afraid I don't have any new info.

You can try emailing him at: fierowarehouse@comcast.net With "Fiero Parts" as the subject line.

Sorry I can't shed anymore light on it. If I do hear anything new, I'll let you know.

Thanks for jumping in Steve! Can always count on Raydar!

HAGO!
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2016 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's an "internet snapshot" of Doug's site from a few months ago: https://web.archive.org/web....ovis.net/~dmkfiero/

Sage - always love to see your work, it's a thing of beauty!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2016 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rob.

Sent a link to this thread to Doug, so maybe he'll know what's going on with the site?

Time'll tell.....it always does!

HAGO!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock