85 SE question by Raymac85
Started on: 07-30-2016 10:38 PM
Replies: 9 (211 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 08-01-2016 09:25 PM
Raymac85

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2016 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Raymac85Send a Private Message to Raymac85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally found a 85 SE v6 4 speed that I purchased 2 weeks ago. I love my fastback but I always thought the 85 SE with the 2.8l and 4speed Orion was pretty sweet. It took me almost 4 years to find one. I know there very uncommon but does anybody know the production numbers on this configuration. All I could find on the good ol web was just a number for 85 SE in all configurations.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Marko

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2016 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
24,734 SE's out of 76,731 total made in 1985.

What is a 4 speed Orion?

------------------
Marko.

'85 SE 2M6 Muncie 4 speed.
a.k.a "The Rumble Seat"

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep in mind the 24K number is all SE models and the V6 was only a part of that number. If I recall I think there was something like 5K-6K 2M6 models offered.

Not common but by no means what is considered rare by collectors.

I had it looked up once but forgot where I found it. I have one myself. The Canadian versions like mine numbered in the hundreds but as you can imagine there is little demand for Canadian 2M6 models.
JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought it was around 4,000 automatics with SE V6. That was considering it was about 50/50 auto and stick shift. So that would mean 4,000 4 speeds too. I will try to look it up. I had one I bought new and had another until recently. Both automatics though. The v6 coupe is a sweet car!

JJ

[This message has been edited by JJFieroFan (edited 07-31-2016).]

Raymac85

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Raymac85Send a Private Message to Raymac85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info jjfierofan 👍🏻 ya they are sweet. its like the formula before the formula lol.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To echo Marko's question, "What is a 4 speed Orion?"

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 08-01-2016).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

To echo Marko's question, "What is a 4 speed Orion?"

That would be 'autospellese' for 'option', I would guess.
Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Autospellese !"....

Now I get it.

My SE has the M-17 Muncie four speed.

Never driven an automatic equipped Fiero.
I'm thinking that would be a bit mundane in comparison to rowing the gears on a four speed.

------------------
Marko.

'85 SE 2M6 Muncie 4 speed.
a.k.a "The Rumble Seat"

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a search for Orion Edition Fiero and Fiero with Orion Option. I only found reference in a Hemmings article to Orion Lake, Michigan, where there apparently was a plant that produced Fieros. And This: Orion Fiero High Efficiency Round Front White Toilet. There are some who might think that's a fitting description.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marko:

"Autospellese !"....

Now I get it.

My SE has the M-17 Muncie four speed.

Never driven an automatic equipped Fiero.
I'm thinking that would be a bit mundane in comparison to rowing the gears on a four speed.

The auto is not bad.

I bought mine new and got the auto as I anticipated the shifter getting rubbery with the 4 speed and also the clutch was not like my Chevelle where it was an easy change in the home garage. The 84's I had driven were already not feeling good shifting.

A note on my Auto. I am not sure what Pontiac did but it is programed much differently than most other GM cars using the same tranny. Mine will hold a gear longer before the shift. It will ride in second gear longer than most. If I want to go to the red line it will hold the get till then with it on the floor. If I want it to shift I just lift off the floor and it will down shift. Often you can shift it with your foot on the throttle.

I would have assumed the governor was screwed up but this car shifted like this from day one and I love it this way. Also the shifts are firm.

The only trouble I had was the lock up converter solenoid but it was easy to change and the new ones are made better.

To be honest I have never once been disappointed not buying a stick shift in the car. Note I have no ill will to any stick as when I buy a Corvette will be a stick like several of my past cars.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock