Stock radio dimensions needed by trivet
Started on: 07-15-2016 02:28 PM
Replies: 6 (645 views)
Last post by: trivet on 07-17-2016 10:39 AM
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2016 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

I need some help. I'm about to order a new head unit for my 87 GT, but I want to make sure I don't have any fitment issues.

Does anyone have a stock radio that they can measure quickly? Specifically, I need the depth. I'm trying to choose from a few different units from Crutchfield, and I want to make sure they mount flush to the dash.

Thank you in advance!

Tim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2016 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I remember correctly, you may need to remove a rear mount, inside the radio opening and it is pretty deep, after that. Sorry, can't remember the depth.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2016 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one out of my 88 is 5-1/4" from the back to the front of the faceplate.

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2016 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2016 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a metal triangle rear mount that can be cut out and then you can get a good depth, the mount only works on stock stereos anyway so It really is not needed.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada
Now on my 11th Fiero

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2016 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't even need to cut it out. All you need is a long, flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Stick the end of the screwdriver under the metal tab and smack it once or twice with the hammer. The bracket will pop out. You may slightly damage the plastic but you don't need it back there anyway. Beats the heck out of completely dismantling the center console to try and get a Dremel back there.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for the info - most likely I'll remove or bend the back bracket out of the way (thanks Monkeyman!)

Ordered a new head unit - probably won't get a chance to install for a couple of weeks though...pics to follow.

Thank you all again!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock