They make other cars catch fire?! by viperine
Started on: 07-12-2016 11:51 PM
Replies: 7 (320 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 07-14-2016 11:53 AM
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2016 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I was doing yardwork. You know, suppressing 3 years of untouched growth on an untouched city property. A favor. And the weed whacker just would NOT start. But I took a break from string pulling, and I hear a loud BANG. I look at the street, and see a trail of fuel aflame much like back to the future trademarks. RIGHT next to my blue fiero. I see a Chrysler Sebring (or it's predecessor) coming to a halt, massive fire emanating from under the hood. Raw gas blazing from underneath. First reaction is to stand the hell back. The female driver had pulled over quickly. Two car lengths from my own. I quickly changed tactic to back my fiero much further back down the one way street. Gotta protect my investment! No further explosions, thankfully. End result?

Apparently you just have to pass a fiero. Glad nobody was hurt.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just gotta ask - your Fiero wasn't originally green, was it?
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha no, originally the 87 blue.
Here's another glance.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

Hahahahahahahahahaha! The myth continues!
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had 5 Mazda fires. I saw a Dodge Aries burn up. Probably 2 Toyotas a week burn on the roadside, just on my commute route. In some other countries, I saw hondas, toyotas, kancils, peroduas, protons, renaults, mitsubishis, etc on fire daily. When I asked, I was told that these cars typically catch fire before they're 10 years old. For this reason, a lot of cars have been repainted.

Yep, plenty of other cars catch fire. I drove a Fiero from Chicago to STL with oil leaking all over (several quarts), and there was smoke, but no fire.

The most scary fire was in a tunnel that's at least 10 miles long. It wasn't comforting that we were under 50 feet or so of water. I don't know the exact distance, but the tunnel gets you to the Norfolk base in VA. You drive down, then eventually back up. When the fire started, all traffic stopped. People got out of their cars and ran. Cars continued to try to enter the tunnel. We were heading down, so the smoke and fire headed back toward me.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

LOL! You got that from one of my posts somewhere hahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To bring everyone else up to speed, I had a guy at a gas station say to me: "I thought those all caught fire". Without skipping a beat, I replied that it was only the green ones that had the problem...... I paused.... and threw in: "That is why you see so few green Fieros on the road anymore".... he kinda nodded in agreement and kinda mumbled Hmmmf and went back to filling his car (You could see the wheels in his turning trying to grasp onto that explanation, but not wanting to say something about it and sound "stupid" LOL

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fire in a tunnel thing; We had a bus and a tanker truck collide in a tunnel here(the Caldecott)- The prevailing wind runs through it from east to west- acted like a blow-torch.....I can't remember how many died, but it was really bad....They banned tanker trucks from the tunnel after that.

Edit to add; 6 died.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pontiac Grand Prix's with the 3800 engine also had a few fires. I believe that the fuel lines leaked at the connection to the fuel rail. I've seen a few in the junkyards. If you worry about a fire carry a few fire extinguishers. Apparently the owner of the nice red GT that was on fire who's picture posted here last month didn't believe in carrying one. Insurance companies pay little on totalled Fieros so we carry three.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock