Open for Suggestions by c_menter
Started on: 07-02-2016 12:16 AM
Replies: 21 (349 views)
Last post by: c_menter on 07-04-2016 04:55 PM
c_menter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for c_menterSend a Private Message to c_menterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am the second owner of an '86 2M4 with 163k miles on it. It has been my daily driver for the past two years and I've wanted to turn it into a project car. But, as always, due to lack of financing I was unable to do so. I'm currently deployed and when I return home will be buying a more "family friendly" daily which allows me to finally make the Fiero a fun project. It is mostly stock with the only changes being an aftermarket valve cover, a new radio, and 10k bi-xenon headlights.
I'm unsure of if I want to do a full restoration of it or if I should have a little more fun.
I'm looking for any tips or suggestions for what to do!
I do know that I want to convert it from automatic to manual though and am looking for any tips on that front. I also have a beginners question which is how do I post photos on here? That way you all can see what I have to work with.
Open to any and all ideas! Thank you!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by c_menter:

I'm looking for any tips or suggestions for what to do!
I do know that I want to convert it from automatic to manual though and am looking for any tips on that front.

Open to any and all ideas!

You're not going to like my suggestion... get a Fiero that already has what you want. Seriously.

In This thread where you mentioned wanting A/C, I said the following - "Unless you have a donor Fiero parked right next to yours, I'd say you'd be crazy to bother." Well, that applies two-fold for anyone wanting to convert from an automatic to a manual.

By the time you invest the money and the effort to install A/C and a manual tranny (and probably a different engine), you'd be miles ahead to have gotten a better Fiero in the first place!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36403 posts
Member since Apr 99

I also have a beginners question which is how do I post photos on here?

If you're running Windows, use PIP which was designed specifically for use with this site. This is the only way to ensure that your images will always be here as long as PFF exists.

Images can be a maximum width of 1024 pixels. Height can be anything. Maximum file size is 300 kb. A great free program for re-sizing and/or re-compressing images is IrfanView.
c_menter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for c_menterSend a Private Message to c_menterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well thank you for the tips and suggestions.
I have beyond limited knowhow when it comes to anything on wheels so I'm just listing ideally what I would do in a perfect world. But let's face it, I'm here to learn, get some ideas, and overall just have fun working on my car!
I also just downloaded PIP but considering this is my first real computer (I was basically living under a rock for the past 23 years) I don't really know what to do from there.
Is it confusing to anyone else or am I just a certain kind of special in this case?

[This message has been edited by c_menter (edited 07-02-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm here to learn, get some ideas, and overall just have fun working on my car!

What it boils down to is this... Do you want a Fiero you'll be enjoying/driving, or do you want a "project" that'll be half apart for ages? I've been there... it's not fun.

However, if you decide to take on these challenges... yes, you'll learn a lot!

I also just downloaded PIP but considering this is my first real computer (I was basically living under a rock for the past 23 years) I don't really know what to do from there.
Is it confusing to anyone else or am I just a certain kind of special in this case?

Downloading PIP is a start. Did you read the manual at the link I posted?
c_menter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for c_menterSend a Private Message to c_menterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pretty sure I got the photo thing down now... here are the two I have on hand. My roommate should be sending more soon for me to post so you can see what I have to work with.

And at this point, I really don't know what I want to do. It's a daily driver right now but I have a family now an will be getting something a little more family friendly. I would like something fun to drive around in as an end result, but at the same time, if it takes years to get done, I'd probably be okay with that and use it as a chance to learn and teach alongside my kids.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, thank you for your service.

Patrick is offering you very wise advice. I've never converted a Fiero to a stick shift, but I did convert a 1970 LeMans once and it was a giant undertaking.

This sort of thing always comes down to the individual. How much work and headache are you willing to endure? Only you can determine that.

I bought an '87 coupe and planned to swap out the duke with the Quad from my GTZ and have it on the road in six months. Here I am more than five years later and I'm still working on it. In hindsight I realize I should've fixed the duke so I could start driving it immediately. But the bottom line is I love the car and the experience I've had working on it and finding parts. Eventually this car will be my daily driver and I can't wait.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
By the time you invest the money and the effort to install A/C and a manual tranny (and probably a different engine), you'd be miles ahead to have gotten a better Fiero in the first place!

& there are plenty for sale right now, with engine swaps, for dirt cheap. I can't believe no one took bonaduce's 3400 at $700 & it's being parted out.

Granted, I also heard the same when I did a 2m4 auto to 3.4L 5 speed conversion. "Just buy what you want already done", but I learned a lot, had some fun with friends, & had already had the car for 10+ years. I understood the reasons & made a decision with my heart & not my wallet, & it feels weird for me to being now suggesting the opposite.

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 07-02-2016).]

c_menter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for c_menterSend a Private Message to c_menterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How much work and headache are you willing to endure?

Headaches are a sign you're learning and the amount and difficulty of the work *shouldn't* be an issue. I've always seen these things as a kind of challenge to take head on just to prove that I am in fact capable of getting it done. Besides, if I really butcher it, I can always fork over the cash and a little bit of pride to have someone else do it the right way.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Headaches are a sign you're learning <snip>. Besides, if I really butcher it, I can always fork over the cash and a little bit of pride to have someone else do it the right way.

You have already learned a lot already then ....
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't criticizing you and I wasn't trying to talk you out of it. I was just saying do what's right for you. If you're up for a project I say go for it.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've always seen these things as a kind of challenge to take head on just to prove that I am in fact capable of getting it done.

None of us are trying to discourage you from what can be a wonderful learning experience. We're just trying to give you some friendly advice. Anyone who has been on this forum for any length of time has seen countless numbers of "dreamers" come through here with big plans... who then find themselves completely in over their heads. Eventually, due to a lack of skillz or a lack of money or a lack of time, their "baby" ends up practically being given away because years later it's still half apart... and the project ends up being a source of grief as opposed to an expression of joy, creativity and/or ability.

I'm not suggesting you're a "dreamer", not at all. You could quite possibly have what it takes to get 'er done. But the two tasks you've mentioned up to this point, swapping in A/C and converting auto to manual, are both BIG jobs... that in the end would result in you still having a Fiero that's the same as thousands of other Fieros that originally came from the factory equipped in such a manner (and which can still be found/bought quite cheap). It's just something to keep in mind before diving in.
c_menter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for c_menterSend a Private Message to c_menterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And that's why I'm reaching out to all of you for suggestions! Once I have all the photos I'll post them here. And why yes, those are my dreams, I'm well aware not all dreams come true. With that being said, what would all of you recommend?
I'm just now beginning to gather all sorts of ideas as well as gauging how large of a project this may become!
On the plus side, at least I don't have any rust issues.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Work out everything you want. Eg 3800 sc , leather seats, new stereo, New tail lights, New alloys, new brakes, body kit parts.
add all these parts together and see that it will cost you far more than you thought and you can in fact buy a car already built and driving for less.
c_menter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for c_menterSend a Private Message to c_menterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Okay everyone, this is what I have to work with. As of right now, it runs pretty well and is a daily driver. Since I changed out the head gasket, it no longer burns oil on the start up. As you can see, the paint is on it's way out and the interior has definitely had it's better days. As have some of the panels due to an accident about ten years ago. There is also some damage to the front suspension from the same accident. I'd like to eventually get all that fixed. Engine runs just fine. Brakes have been getting more stiff but I was just informed that it's because although my vacuum lines are working, my brake booster is not. So that needs to get changed out. Same with the passenger side headlight motor. I've already replaced the driver side and I know I can do that one on my own. I just leave both up for now for the looks of it. My car shouldn't be winking at everyone as I drive past in my opinion. Also, it technically has two passenger seats in it. The prior owner replaced the driver seat with a passenger one from a junk yard. For safety reasons I'd like to get that changed. Due to the recline lever hitting the belt buckle and the center console, I cannot slide the driver seat far enough forward to comfortably operate the car. Oops.
Aside from all that, I'm not really sure what I should or even want to do to it.
Any ideas? Also, how hard of a task will it be for me to swap out the break booster on my own? I have no working knowledge of them whatsoever. As well as the mounting stud for the antenna snapped off and I was wondering what all it would take to get that replaced on my end. I miss having my music.
The prior owner also so kindly lost all of the tools, including the jack, that should have come with the Fiero originally if anybody knows where I might be able to find a set of those.

Thanks in advance!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You're not going to like my suggestion... get a Fiero that already has what you want. Seriously.

Agreed!

Many who get their $500 Fiero and wished it were a manual would be better off selling it and buying another with the manual transmission.

I swapped from an auto to a Getrag 5-speed manual. So I know it is doable.
If you already have a lot of work and money into your car, it is worth making the swap IN THAT CASE.
There is a tedious amount of work involved, but it is mostly the "remove and replace" variety.

See 2/3rds of way down page.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000077-3.html

A/C is a totally different matter. You'll need ALL the A/C parts from another Fiero which means practically disassembling the car.
Sure, you can get a new compressor, accumulator, condenser and evaporator, but you still need all the brackets, lines, heater box, HVAC control and wiring from a donor car.

There's only 10 Fieros in all the US/Canada Pick n Pulls right now.
http://www.picknpull.com/ch...Fiero&Distance=25000

But there's 611 Fiero ads on Craigslist
http://claz.org/classifieds/vehicles/cars?q=fiero

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

http://www.picknpull.com/ch...Fiero&Distance=25000

LOL Glad to see I'm not the only one who clicks the "unlimited distance" box when looking on that site...

c_menter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for c_menterSend a Private Message to c_menterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A fair bit of work has been put into it but most of that was me just tinkering. It was gifted to me by the previous owner who had it sitting for over ten years. I was told that if I could get it running, it was mine to keep. All that took was a distributor cap, ignition coil, and new plugs and wires. I eventually swapped out the headlights, radio, and valve cover. All in all, I only actually put about $300 into the car so far.

One other issue I forgot to mention is that I seem to have a short somewhere.... About one in three tries with the turn signals will actually engage my windshield wipers for just one go. Does anyone else have this issue or has anyone fixed it?
I'm not too good with electrical work so a brief walk-through would be nice.
It may be a long road ahead of me with this car, but I'm dedicating myself to it at this point.
You only live once, after all!

And to everyone who is saying they aren't trying to criticize or discouraged me, I'm in the Army!
I use criticism to learn and better myself so don't hold back! As for the discouragement, welcome to my life so far! I've proved everyone else wrong to this point, I may as well give it another go! I'll just use discouragement to drive my motivation! Haha.

But I will be taking all your advice by leaving out the AC and keeping it automatic.
Maybe someday I'll pass the car on to my kids and they'll have that pleasure.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It may be a long road ahead of me with this car, but I'm dedicating myself to it at this point.
You only live once, after all!

Okay, we've now seen pictures of the car...

First things first... I am not a Formula or GT "snob" within the Fiero community. I have both a Formula and a GT, but I also have a well loved '84.

The Fiero that you've pictured is in rough shape. And it's a 4-banger automatic bumper-pad Fiero... probably the least desirable Fiero that was made. Similar Fieros to that in my neck of the woods cannot be given away. I'm not kidding.

I'm not trying to motivate you to prove that yes, you can do it... but do you really want to invest the time and energy and money to bring that particular Fiero up to snuff... and at the end of the day/year/decade still be left with the least desirable Fiero there is?

Honestly, I'm not trying to be mean... it's just the reality of the situation.

If you decide to go ahead and "dedicate" yourself to this car, heck, I'll be here along with many others to offer you help. But at least consider alternatives. There are some pretty nice Fieros available out there for a fraction of what it'll cost you to get this car into shape.

Originally posted by fierosound:

Pick-N-Pull

But there's 611 Fiero ads on Craigslist
Craigslist

Yep... to me this indicates it's a whole lot easier/cheaper to buy a nice Fiero than to create one.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-04-2016).]

c_menter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for c_menterSend a Private Message to c_menterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Similar Fieros to that in my neck of the woods cannot be given away.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this if you wouldn't mind enlightening me. And I thank you for your honesty, I really do. I'll keep my eyes open, but at the same time, even if I get a different one, I'd still like it to be a project of sorts, if you know what I mean. I'm in it for the fun and the experience!

And who knows, maybe the least desirable model turns out to be the one enjoy most! Every group of car lovers has that one oddball who likes the one that everybody else doesn't. For all we know, I may wind up being that oddball...
Only one way to tell.

[This message has been edited by c_menter (edited 07-04-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this if you wouldn't mind enlightening me.

I used to be involved with a local Fiero club. Fiero owners (from a catchment area of well over a million people) would often contact the fella who ran the club to see if any club members might be interested in buying their Fiero. If it was a 4-banger automatic bumper-pad Fiero, nobody wanted it, not even for free (unless it was pristine). When offered on Craigslist, these Fieros might get scrap metal price.

I'll keep my eyes open, but at the same time, even if I get a different one, I'd still like it to be a project of sorts, if you know what I mean. I'm in it for the fun and the experience!

Don't get me wrong... I know exactly what you mean about the fun and experience of a "project". But in my opinion, you want to at least start with a car that when you're done, is going to be what you want... and if you're lucky, at least worth something.

There's no point fixing up an automatic equipped car if you actually want a manual. There's no point fixing up a non-A/C equipped car if you actually want A/C. I believe you've already decided not to bother taking on the BIG task of doing those swaps, and IMO that's wise, but why bother with this particular Fiero at all then as it'll not be what you want.

I say find an A/C equipped 4 or 5-spd Fiero in relatively good shape (perhaps also with the engine you'd prefer) and take it from there. Believe me, you'll still have a "project" on your hands. As you dig into the car, you'll find lots to improve.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-04-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
c_menter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for c_menterSend a Private Message to c_menterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well for now I'll just do minor work for safety reasons until I get my new family car. All the while I'll be looking into different Fieros out there. I may end up like you and owning several! Who knows?
But the manual would be for if my buddy gives me his old engine, which if I told you what I'd do if I had that particular engine, it may give you a heart attack....
The AC would be a luxury for living in Southern California, but then again, I'm moving to Kentucky as soon as I'm stateside again and I doubt I'd crave AC as much there. I'd probably just lift out the sunroof and enjoy the wind.
But for all these things, only time will tell!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock