Started on: 06-30-2016 10:53 AM
Replies: 6 (1444 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 07-02-2016 10:51 PM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2016 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just purchased a 2004 Grand Prix with a NA 3800 Series 3 for $325...
It was hit in the front fender. Engine runs fine.

My longterm plan is to put this motor behind my 4-speed 86GT when that 2.8 blows up (has 122k).

What are the issues with Series 3 swaps? Is it just the electronic throttle?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2016 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The throttle is the biggest issue. Best solution know of is to get an adapter plate to run either a series 2 throttle body or a North star throttle body. North Star TB will also require a LQ4 MAF. Smart guys also advise using a late series 2 PCM.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2016 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

The throttle is the biggest issue. Best solution know of is to get an adapter plate to run either a series 2 throttle body or a North star throttle body. North Star TB will also require a LQ4 MAF. Smart guys also advise using a late series 2 PCM.

You can also easily run a LT1\LS1 MAF with the N*. Easiest solution is to setup and run the series III as a series II. All the parts are pretty much exchangeable. I do like the SIII Aluminum Intake better than the plastic one but you can get aftermarket plastic intakes that are reinforced where the OEM ones fail. That way you can use the SII TB and MAF without purchasing an adapter plate. If you go the adapter plate route than go with the N* and 4" intake as you will get more HP than with the SII TB.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2016 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the whole car. Would it not be possible to use the Grand Prix gas pedal assembly, etc...?

On another note, would I also want to do a Grand Prix dash swap at the same time?
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2016 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

I have the whole car. Would it not be possible to use the Grand Prix gas pedal assembly, etc...?

On another note, would I also want to do a Grand Prix dash swap at the same time?

Not sure on the possibility but it sure seems like a lot of extra work and headache for an easy solution.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2016 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drive by wire can be achieved, but like nosrac said, it is not worth the extra wiring and effort for no real benefit. I know a couple people with drive by wire setup's on LS motors in Fieros and they have had a few issues with the drive by wire. I would prefer a cable operated throttle, much less to go wrong or have to worry about. I have a series III motor in my car with an adapter plate and am using a N* throttle body with LS MAF sensor.

Here is a link to Loyd's thread where he used the series III drive by wire assembly I believe:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-1-045894.html
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No benefit in going to drive by wire, just headaches trying to get it to function correctly. My 3800SC series three engine runs a 2000 N* TB ,a LS1 MAF sensor and its all run by a 2003 Grand Prix because I run the late 4T65eHD auto and that is the only PCM that will shift this box. If you are using a stick then any PCM 96-03 can be programmed to control that engine but if you do not use the Grand Prix sensors you will need to reprogram and tune for the different MAF and TB. This means that the MAF table/curve values for the particular sensor that you use must be imported into the program. That will provide a good starting point for the fueling adjustments in the final tune.
One final point if you decide to use a Getrag or Muncie with the 3800SC make sure that they are checked and rebuilt before hooking them up. As light duty transmissions they are not the best choice to begin with but with careful use can last a while. . Many swaps that used an old worn high mileage transmission for this higher HP application didn't last long.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock