Started on: 06-11-2016 01:36 PM
Replies: 36 (2027 views)
Last post by: zmcdonal on 01-08-2018 04:26 PM
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2016 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm surprised there are not more of these...

http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=10150

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-11-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2016 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The "practical" car I have (ie back seat) is a 5-spd '94 Hyundai Elantra with a 1.6 L Mitsubishi engine. For what it is, it actually goes pretty good. I've often thought that a built-up 2.0 L version of this engine would be great in a Fiero.
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2016 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never mind the engine... just look at that thing. What a bad-ass home-brewed machine!

Thanks for sharing Gall757... very, very cool.

Edit: quoted from that webpage: "Matt Farah has expressed interest in featuring it on his One Take series."

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 06-11-2016).]

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2016 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ITALGT

994 posts
Member since Jan 2002
The smile on the owner's face says it all:

...and then there is THIS view:

What an insane machine. Wow.

Why is this guy not on the forum? That's the next question.

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 06-11-2016).]

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2016 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He has a Facebook group that documents his build.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I've gotten to see this car in person because he lives about 15 minutes from me. It is very impressive. Super talented guy.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2016 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WICKED!!!

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
CNC Machining and prototyping
Port St.Lucie, Florida
A&N Precision Machine on Facebook!

Pancake

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2016 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PancakeSend a Private Message to PancakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 4G63 makes a lot of sense, a lot of history in Eclipses and Evos. Great engine for boost though balance shaft issues.

Now the car itself... *drool*
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2016 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the general look I'd like to go with for my car, only turned up to 11. Very nice.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2016 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's another DSM swap in Worcester, MA. Greg Bedard owns and did the work.

http://www.facebook.com/pho...75993&type=3&theater

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 06-13-2016).]

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2016 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like Matt Farah drove the car today...

I am so jealous of that body. It looks MEAN.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2016 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool. Interested in what he does for a decklid and bumper, if he does.
Also a video would be cool.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2016 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I'd be surprised if he did. Looks like the back end version of what I've seen on many S13 drift cars with huge FMICs.
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2016 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also a video would be cool.

He's planning to build a rear window louver out of aluminum to cover the engine, with the thought that the aluminum will act as kind if a heat sync and pull heat from the engine bay. I think that's all he's planning to run for a rear bumper. His plans are to finish up and smooth out the body work this winter. He barely had time to get some kinks worked out and everything together to pass tech to do some road race events this year.

Matt Farah drove it this weekend at Gridlife and is going to be posting a "One take' video on his YouTube channel TheSmokingTire.

[This message has been edited by zmcdonal (edited 06-13-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I kinda like the rivet look, wonder if he'll keep those.
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I kinda like the rivet look, wonder if he'll keep those.

He probably will. He wanted to keep the flares as separate pieces in case there is ever damage to one at the track, that way it can be fixed or remade and not be a huge deal to remount. I think they're actually Allen bolts that go into like a rivet nut. The whole front clip comes off as one piece with a few 1/4 turn fasteners and can be easily carried by one person.
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Link to The Smoking Tire Instagram page:

https://www.instagram.com/thesmokingtire/?hl=en

Can't wait to see the video!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been following this build on facebook for awhile. Mike is an incredible builder with some nice toys ! He is a pretty cool guy to top it off.
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If memory serves me right I believe he tried to start a thread/post on PFF but was quickly met with skepticism about his build and stopped. None the less, great car and talent.

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jfrost:

If memory serves me right I believe he tried to start a thread/post on PFF but was quickly met with skepticism about his build and stopped. None the less, great car and talent.

This doesn't surprise me, if it is true. I have seen a lot of unique ideas posted by people get shot down by the "You should swap in a (enter engine here) instead..." crowd.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2016 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Facebook doesn't seem any better. People should just do what they do.
Anyway. NBD
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2016 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt Farah's article is online...
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2016 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Coincidentally, I've been skipping this thread figuring it was going to be a bunch of people asking "why bother." Morbid curiosity got the better of me and I finally clicked on it. Hell of a build - that car is gorgeous!
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2016 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Matt Farah's article is online...

Nicely done article... sounds like Matt loved driving this Fiero.

I'm still for the One Take vid... its going to be very, very interesting!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2016 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome story. Congrats Mike !
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2016 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think we can all identify with the driving description even with 100 horsepower instead of 500.

Understeer..........understeer...........OVERSTEER!

Looking forward to a video.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-18-2016).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2016 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the video...

Listen to this beast run.

Edit: My favorite quote from the video "Jesus! This thing is all kinds of fu**ing sketchy!"

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 08-08-2016).]

Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2016 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the belt check at 7:27.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2016 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Road and Track did an article as well. http://www.roadandtrack.com...uilt-fiero-one-take/
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2016 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mad Max is alive and well..LOL...LOVE IT !!!!
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2016 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Geez, that thing is a monster!!!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[B][/B]

Road and Track did an article as well. http://www.roadandtrack.com...uilt-fiero-one-take/

"...a DG63 Mitsubishi engine that's capable of 750 horsepower. It uses a gigantic turbo, so boost doesn't kick in until very high up in the rev-range.
Seeing as how the engine's in the middle, applying power in anything other than a straight line must be fairly terrifying."

He's making it sound like mid-engine is bad?
It works quite well for the high-horsepower, big buck cars from Lambo, Ferrari and Bugatti...

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2016 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
He's making it sound like mid-engine is bad?
It works quite well for the high-horsepower, big buck cars from Lambo, Ferrari and Bugatti...

He doesn't really have much experience with mid-engined cars, but the Italians tend to have much more wheelbase than the Fiero, and are often a bit wider. Also, the newer Lambos, and I think Bugatti are AWD. Not to mention the huge difference in suspension between a 2012 super/hyper-car, and a 30 year old Fiero that's been hacked up to put a 20 year old Mitsubishi drivetrain in it.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
... a 30 year old Fiero that's been hacked up to put a 20 year old Mitsubishi drivetrain in it.

According to everything I've seen about this car, the only thing "Fiero" about it is the body. The suspension and running gear is all built from scratch.
(I would think that that's a good thing, depending... But one never knows. )

Edit - You may remember Matt Farah driving Steven Snyders '88 track car. He had all good things to say about it. Of course, it didn't try to kill him, like this one.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-09-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2016 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
According to everything I've seen about this car, the only thing "Fiero" about it is the body. The suspension and running gear is all built from scratch.
(I would think that that's a good thing, depending... But one never knows. )

Edit - You may remember Matt Farah driving Steven Snyders '88 track car. He had all good things to say about it. Of course, it didn't try to kill him, like this one.

Well, Steven's car is a mild 3.4 DOHC, and N/A. The 4G63 with that huge turbo makes a pretty big jump in power output right in the middle of the RPM range. From the article linked in the original post, it says the car finally came out at about 2500 lbs, with a 56% rear bias. That's a little increase over stock, and this is an 86GT, The front suspension looks totally custom, with coil overs, but the rear looks relatively stock, with coil overs. Since it's an 86 car, the bumpsteer and similar issues are probably still heavily in play there.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2018 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edited this post because I found some more pictures of the build. The front upper arms look to be Arraut bits, the front lower control arms are stock modified to take coilovers. Rear control arms are stock with aftermarket struts. The least impressive thing was the use of wheel spacers to widen the track. I love the mitsu motor swap and the body work. The other thing I found interesting was the way it appears that he cut off the upper front frame rails and replaced them with a tube frame that also forms the mounts for the coilovers. Everything frame wise under that appears stock. I have considered a similar mod for my car but I want to take it one step further and cut the whole front of the frame off and scratch build a sub frame and suspension. I would like to find more info and see what he has done lately but to keep it better planted for a road course he needs a big a#$ wing and a front splitter.

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 01-04-2018).]

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2018 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That things bad ass! luv the video too thanks for the bump
shem
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

Edited this post because I found some more pictures of the build. The front upper arms look to be Arraut bits, the front lower control arms are stock modified to take coilovers. Rear control arms are stock with aftermarket struts. The least impressive thing was the use of wheel spacers to widen the track. I love the mitsu motor swap and the body work. The other thing I found interesting was the way it appears that he cut off the upper front frame rails and replaced them with a tube frame that also forms the mounts for the coilovers. Everything frame wise under that appears stock. I have considered a similar mod for my car but I want to take it one step further and cut the whole front of the frame off and scratch build a sub frame and suspension. I would like to find more info and see what he has done lately but to keep it better planted for a road course he needs a big a#$ wing and a front splitter.

He actually made his own upper control arms because he thought he could build stronger ones with better geometry for less than Arraut charged for theirs. I know he used the coilovers from his first gen eclipse in the rear and possibly even up front.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock