Started on: 05-28-2016 09:52 PM
Replies: 4 (412 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 05-31-2016 09:31 AM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2016 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to find out the weight of a Fiero chassis with suspension, cradle, 4-speed trans and no interior. The only body panels are those above the side molding, but I assume that will be discounted from scrap weight. It's being sold to an individual so it won't be going on a scale. Not that it makes any difference, but it's a notchie.

Anyone have an educated guess?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
94blackbird

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 94blackbirdSend a Private Message to 94blackbirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I'm trying to find out the weight of a Fiero chassis with suspension, cradle, 4-speed trans and no interior. The only body panels are those above the side molding, but I assume that will be discounted from scrap weight. It's being sold to an individual so it won't be going on a scale. Not that it makes any difference, but it's a notchie.

Anyone have an educated guess?

In my experience the salvage yards weigh you when you come in and weigh you when you come out, and pay you at the auto scrap price reguardless of how much of the car is plastic or any other non metallic material. I would guess you're probably looking at 800-1400 pounds maybe a little more. depending on what is gone and what exactly is still there. I took a roached 87 to the scrapper, no doors, partial interior, no engine or trans and it was about 1500lbs I want to say.

[This message has been edited by 94blackbird (edited 05-30-2016).]

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I asked at a yard I had seen a fiero at if he still had it the next time I went and he said he had scrapped it, and got good money for it as it was like 2,000 lbs. with little left in the car. I think Charlie, with my memory he could have said anything. But the plastic part have little weight to them, the rest is mostly fiberglass and steel for the most part. and as the previous poster said they give you a price somewhere in between solid steel price and crap steel price.

I think he said he got 250 for the car at the crushers. I was almost in tears. You could always put the chassis on a small flatbed trailer and just drive over to the closest weight station they are all over the place, ones off the highway charge you a few bucks but its not bad.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-30-2016).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have a chassis, sans engine and interior that someone wants to set up an engine swap. We offered it for scrap metal price, since that's what will be done with it after he gets all the technicalities worked out. I was thinking one of our local guys was getting $150 + for the Fieros he scrapped out.

Curb weight of a notchie is about 2600+. I've done searches for scrap metal prices in Georgia and can only find them for things like copper, brass, aluminum, zinc, and other metals.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 05-30-2016).]

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

We have a chassis, sans engine and interior that someone wants to set up an engine swap. We offered it for scrap metal price, since that's what will be done with it after he gets all the technicalities worked out. I was thinking one of our local guys was getting $150 + for the Fieros he scrapped out.

Curb weight of a notchie is about 2600+. I've done searches for scrap metal prices in Georgia and can only find them for things like copper, brass, aluminum, zinc, and other metals.

Search for scrap steel prices, all sort of prices came up for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hea...AOSw~gRVlS~T&vxp=mtr

if it doesn't come up on the steel prices just click the ferrous metal button at the top.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-31-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock