Started on: 05-24-2016 08:55 AM
Replies: 20 (978 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 05-27-2016 11:44 AM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.factoryfive.com/...ject-818/818c-coupe/

WRX engine in mid-engine configuration.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-24-2016 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ford turbo 2.3 with a sub transaxle..

The all sub kit is a few years old, it's not new..
but the 2.3 turbo powered sub transaxle one is new

Power nation (spike tv) engine power just built one.. start to finish.. 300 +hp and 300+ ft lp in 2100 lb's..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 05-24-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked out the prices. At $25K for the kit plus all the options and engine you are easily at $30,000. While the design is nice, that amount of money buys you one heck of a automobile. IMO its not worth the work and price.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I checked out the prices. At $25K for the kit plus all the options and engine you are easily at $30,000. While the design is nice, that amount of money buys you one heck of a automobile. IMO its not worth the work and price.

Curious which automobile you're thinking of that is a two-seat, mid-engine type with 300HP and costs less than $35k?

My Sky Redline makes 290HP/340TQ with the GM tune and was $32k...in 2007. I don't even think you'll be able to pick up a Focus RS for $35k and it'll be way heavier and less sporty.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

Curious which automobile you're thinking of that is a two-seat, mid-engine type with 300HP and costs less than $35k?

My Sky Redline makes 290HP/340TQ with the GM tune and was $32k...in 2007. I don't even think you'll be able to pick up a Focus RS for $35k and it'll be way heavier and less sporty.

Yup. New cars have gotten stupid expensive. Look at the Chevy SS. Great car, but not $45-50k great, especially considering the SAME CAR was sold four years ago for $35k... AS A PONTIAC!
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMO its not worth the work and price.

So it is like a Fiero.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2016 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hahahahahaha

what car that is 2100-2200 lb and is on rails with that hp to lb % you buying for 30k
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2016 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What's so special about mid engine? If you want 2 seat ; Vettes and Vipers are two seat. You are driving on the street and highway right? Many conventional front engine cars run great and can be very fast. . The point that I am making concerns VALUE and what you can buy for your money. Take a look at the excellent low mile used Mercedes, BMW's, Hemi Challengers, Mustangs and LS3 Corvettes that you can buy " turn key" for under $30,000. If I had $30 K to spend it sure would not be on a kit car.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-25-2016).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

http://www.powernationtv.co...-a-factory-five-818c

After watching this video, it makes me wonder why no one has adapted WRX spindle and suspension to the Fiero. Same bolt pattern prior to '05...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 05-26-2016).]

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What's so special about mid engine? If you want 2 seat ; Vettes and Vipers are two seat. You are driving on the street and highway right? Many conventional front engine cars run great and can be very fast. . The point that I am making concerns VALUE and what you can buy for your money. Take a look at the excellent low mile used Mercedes, BMW's, Hemi Challengers, Mustangs and LS3 Corvettes that you can buy " turn key" for under $30,000. If I had $30 K to spend it sure would not be on a kit car.

340HP in a 2100 pound, mid-engine car is not the same as a sub-$30k Corvette, and you're not going to get a Viper that runs for that at all. It's also a very different driving experience from a 4000+ pound Challenger and the like.

Cost of ownership on BMWs, Mercedes, Viper, etc. are in another class from a tube-frame car with Ford and Subaru mechanicals. Something like an Elise S is, I think, a closer comparison. Go check what those sell for.

Value is a personal thing, but if I had the chance to work with a buddy to build an 818 and wound up with a 340HP go-kart, I'd be very happy.
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"It's also a very different driving experience"...exactly! Mid-engine IMO is the best (most fun) driving experience.

340HP in a 2100 pound, mid-engine car is not the same as a sub-$30k Corvette, and you're not going to get a Viper that runs for that at all. It's also a very different driving experience from a 4000+ pound Challenger and the like.

Cost of ownership on BMWs, Mercedes, Viper, etc. are in another class from a tube-frame car with Ford and Subaru mechanicals. Something like an Elise S is, I think, a closer comparison. Go check what those sell for.

Value is a personal thing, but if I had the chance to work with a buddy to build an 818 and wound up with a 340HP go-kart, I'd be very happy.

thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been following the 818 for a lot of years and I keep thinking about taking the plunge. The 2.3t is a very interesting idea - you're giving up some center of gravity for a small weight savings and lots of power and it sure seems like a fair trade. It'd be fun to have an entirely home-built car that's highly optimized like the 818 is, but a lot of reviews and feedback from owners suggest the materials and fit & finish aren't commensurate with the price. I'd hate to invest that time and that money and end up with a car where the switches don't fit right in the dash or the door hinges don't last or whatever. A $25k kit should be well sorted. A $35k finished product should be well-sorted. $50k buys a used Noble, and, well, that'd be my other choice.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mid-Engine Madness: Building a Factory Five 818Cc

I'd love one of these cars. However, as powerful as that Ford 4-banger is... I wouldn't want it. I couldn't believe it when one of the guys in the video said it "sounds killer". As someone who grew up with rumbly V8's, to me it sounds absolutely boring.

Personally, I'd much prefer the version of this car which makes use of a Subaru flat-4 engine. At least those engines have a bit more grunt to the sound of their exhaust.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-26-2016).]

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the styling of this car. But I would not want the Ford powerplant. I would rather have a built up, turbo'd LE5 Ecotec; wouldn't be too difficult to get north of 400HP with that engine. That would dictate the need for a custom drilled bellhousing to mate the engine to the Subaru 6 speed.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

I would rather have a built up, turbo'd LE5 Ecotec... That would dictate the need for a custom drilled bellhousing to mate the engine to the Subaru 6 speed.

That Ford engine is using an adapter plate with the Subaru 6-spd, so would the tranny mounting be any more of a challenge using the Ecotec engine?
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2016 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That Ford engine is using an adapter plate with the Subaru 6-spd, so would the tranny mounting be any more of a challenge using the Ecotec engine?

No. Nor with an LSx. Or instead of the Subie trans, an Audi V8 and trans might make a fun drivetrain for that car.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2016 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

...an Audi V8 and trans might make a fun drivetrain for that car.

I wonder if there might be issues with the added weight of that combination compared to what the frame/suspension/etc was originally designed for?

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

After watching this video, it makes me wonder why no one has adapted WRX spindle and suspension to the Fiero. Same bolt pattern prior to '05...

I have suggested in past Subaru hubs but thinking hilux now.

Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've eyeballed the 818 plenty of times and have thought about it as an "after the Fiero" project. It's still under consideration, but I'm leaning towards going all out and building a GTM. I know it would cost me a bit more, but damn.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like a fun project and I don't think the price is bad at all for what you get, especially considering I have wanted to build an Ultima GTR for the last decade...
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock