Started on: 05-23-2016 08:21 PM
Replies: 15 (597 views)
Last post by: jaredmurray88 on 05-31-2016 04:17 PM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2016 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know what this is?
I think it fell out of my door when I took the panel off.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 05-23-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2016 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like an alignment shim to me.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2016 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, that`s what a couple of people on Facebook said. Now that I think about it that piece may have dropped when I pulled the fender off.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Omg that has fallen out of the flux capacitor.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, goes under fender bolts to align things.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Australian:

Omg that has fallen out of the flux capacitor.

Run for your life!

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2016 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Ya, goes under fender bolts to align things.

Ayup, comes in all different thicknesses. use it if needed, don't if not. usually where ever a bolt attaches a fender and they need a spacer to make the panels fit better. so it could have come from just about anywhere the fender fits to the superstructure. put the fender on without it, you will be able to see where it was right away, then just losen the bolt that needs it and slide it in under the fender. Between the fender and the mounting point. they have used them ever since the first cars had body's, they have the opening so they can be slid under the bolt without having to completely remove the bolt.

Edit to add, they fall off all the time and sometimes into places you would never expect. I have seen them under radiator support sections in other cars as well. But if someone doesn't know its there and removes whatever the part was it can fall into places they should never have been, remember these cars a all 30 years old and had a lot of people under the hood so to speak. If you look closely enough you may be able to see a spot that looks like the shim, that is most likely where it came from, but you may not.
Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-29-2016).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2016 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have taken several Fieros apart. Have never seen a shim in any of them.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2016 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The funny part is that if you all knew what that actually is, you would laugh and think how half-assed the Fiero assembly was. They use any parts that were available to get the job done. Those are storefront shims. They are used when contractors are building new aluminum storefronts and the concrete is not level or they simply want to shim the threshold of the entry doors so it is level. I have been using those for over 25 years and they come in a variety of colors and thicknesses.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

The funny part is that if you all knew what that actually is, you would laugh and think how half-assed the Fiero assembly was. They use any parts that were available to get the job done. Those are storefront shims. They are used when contractors are building new aluminum storefronts and the concrete is not level or they simply want to shim the threshold of the entry doors so it is level. I have been using those for over 25 years and they come in a variety of colors and thicknesses.

I'm pretty sure a car assembly plant would use car parts they have in stock.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-30-2016).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I'm pretty sure a car assembly plant would use car parts they have in stock.

The shims that I posted are created by a company called C.R Laurence and they are for commercial use. They actually sell first and foremost as a shim kit for storefronts but they also note that they are for use in the automotive, aviation, and motorhome market to shim the panels. I can't tell from the original picture in this thread if it is steel or white plastic.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-30-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It`s steel.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2016 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I have taken several Fieros apart. Have never seen a shim in any of them.

sign that it's been hit..
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Ahhhh. Another storefront guy. Been doing this since 82. Started on the drawing board, literally. Been PM for the last 25 years. Past time for a change. This used to be fun.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
Very likely.
GM doesn't use them for Fiero because how car is made.

see //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...160323-2-116809.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Not always though but a very good indication that it was in a fender bender. My car has no alignment shims in it but it was hit pretty friggin' hard in the front pass side corner. The lip the fender bolts to is very minutely wash boarded and I thought it was ordinary to the car until I removed the front bumper..... At that point the SOB tools came out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock