Fiero GT with Formula Side Skirts by fieroall
Started on: 05-17-2016 01:10 AM
Replies: 29 (855 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 06-21-2016 09:18 PM
fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have a picture of a GT/SE Fiero with Formula side skirts? I searched but could not find any. Lots of Formulas with GT bumpers but that's not the same. It's missing the door trim.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just so you know... coupe rocker panels (which is what the Formula uses) will not attach to the rest of the aero trim. And even if they did, it would look very weird.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-17-2016).]

fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure it could be modified to fit. Do you have a picture of it?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroall:

I'm sure it could be modified to fit.

But why would you want to?

Aero rockers stick out quite far (compared to coupe rockers) in order to line up with the aero trim which sits above it. Coupe rockers would be indented under this trim. IMO, it would look hideous. And neither end of the coupe rockers would line up properly with the wheel well liners used on a GT.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2016 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can use coupe bumpers and trim on a fastback, but the trim on the aero bumpers is molded in, so you can't change it to the coupe trim. You have to change the bumpers.

Here's an 88 coupe with fastback clip:

fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to keep the GT bumpers just change the side skirts to formula style. Just the bottom portion.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2016 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I want to keep the GT bumpers just change the side skirts to formula style. Just the bottom portion.

Then you will have to deal with the bumpers being different. Or you're going to have to cut up bumpers and do a lot of body work to make them match.
fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I think I'm explaining myself wrong. I want to change just the side skirts underneath the doors to the formula style. Leave the rest of the body alone. Just the part in the red box.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry I think I'm explaining myself wrong.

I know exactly what you're suggesting, and I still say it'll look awful... which is why you'll not find any pictures of this weird combination.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2016 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are several pics in this thread.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

There are several pics in this thread.

Dobey, there isn't a single picture there with what the OP is after.

PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I still say it'll look awful...

A lot of worse things have been done to fieros....
fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are all formulas with swapped aero bumpers. That's not what I'm looking for.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I know exactly what you're suggesting, and I still say it'll look awful... which is why you'll not find any pictures of this weird combination.

To each, his own.....
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2016 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Those are all formulas with swapped aero bumpers. That's not what I'm looking for.

Is what you want, not the coupe look between the wheels, and the aero bumpers? That is exactly what those pictures show. So what if they are all Formulas? The only difference with an 86-88 GT is that the rear is a fastback instead. The Indy, 85 GT, and aero SE cars would all look exactly the same.

edit: Or is what you want to have the side trim retain the upper half from the aero body, and only change the lower trim to the coupe trim? You'd have to do a fair bit of body work to get that I think. The trim isn't designed to be mixed in that way.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 05-17-2016).]

fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes that's what I'm looking to do ---> "Or is what you want to have the side trim retain the upper half from the aero body, and only change the lower trim to the coupe trim?"

I'm not sure this statement is accurate. Looks pretty easy to me. ---> "You'd have to do a fair bit of body work to get that I think. The trim isn't designed to be mixed in that way."

I just want to see what it looks like before try it.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To install the coupe style rocker on a car with the aero gfx, the reinforcement bracket for the aero gfx would need to be removed. It is attached to the space frame with rivets.
The coupe rockers could then be attached to the lower door sill, again attached with rivets.
There is no bodywork required.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Or is what you want to have the side trim retain the upper half from the aero body, and only change the lower trim to the coupe trim? You'd have to do a fair bit of body work to get that I think. The trim isn't designed to be mixed in that way.

Finally... now you've got it!

Originally posted by olejoedad:

There is no bodywork required.

Depends on what is regarded as "body work", but the locating tabs/clips on the coupe and aero rockers are quite different from each other.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That got me thinking, so I went out and looked at both styles.....
The coupe style rocker is wider than the aero style where the rocker goes under the lower rear quarter panel and the front fender bottom. The clips, as you correctly stated, are much different, with the coupe style being vertical and the aero being horizontal.
There will be some trimming and tinkering to get the two styles married up securely.

Thanks for the correction, I learned something (or un-forgot, maybe I used to know) from this today.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Thanks for the correction, I learned something (or un-forgot, maybe I used to know) from this today.

No problem.

The only reason why I'm familiar with this is because I had considered going the other direction... I was wondering what my Formula would look like with GT/aero style rockers. It didn't take me long when I took a good look (at both style rockers side by side) to see that it would be more trouble than it was going to be worth.
fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would still like to see a picture if someone has done it.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would still like to see a picture if someone has done it.

I suspect you'll be the first. Post some pics.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put some GT doors on a coupe to keep the interior closed up after I sold off the coupe doors.
No pictures, sorry.
I remember it looked, uh, awkward......
fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I went ahead and swapped it over just to see what it looks like. It's not a bolt on swap as it needs some modification but nothing major. Just some of the plastic needs to be trimmed. Few new holes and spacers added. I will secure it on permanently and will post better pictures later. I think it'll look better once the car is lowered.

Befre.

After

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2016 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought it was going to look a lot worst. Not too noticeable at least in pictures. Still I do not understand the purpose.
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2016 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like the car is sucking in its belly as not to be high centered. Odd look, IMO.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2016 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Still I do not understand the purpose.

I suspect the OP simply wanted to replace his broken aero rockers with ones he found more readily available... even though they're coupe rockers. I don't believe this will start a new trend.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2016 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just pick any car ground effects and make them fit. Mine are from a GTO
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2016 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will post pictures when I get home

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 06-22-2016).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2016 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car looks ok with non-aero sides and a front aero nose- But the aero rear looks kind of outta place- My honest opinion. I have an 85 SE that I installed a late GT upper rear on- but no skirts- and a late base car front nose.....I have had a lot of compliments on it.....I like the body tucking under like a fuselage.....The Fiero is not that bad with the aero-skirts but some of the late 70s F-birds looked like those old RC car bodies- Cheaply molded and nothing under them...An "empty shell" kind of look.....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock