Started on: 05-10-2016 10:01 PM
Replies: 14 (661 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 05-14-2016 10:03 PM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2016 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone thought of making a front end for the Fiero similar to the Opel Speedster? Or the rear lights or engine vents?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-11-2016 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd think it be easier to do that to a Saturn shy or Pontiac solice

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 05-11-2016).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-11-2016 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2016 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

I'd think it be easier to do that to a Saturn shy or Pontiac Solstice

I was thinking may be an adaptation
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2016 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

I have been studying this and not sure if the lights could be adapted to the Fiero. I like the engine vent covers. Do you think that came about because of the Fiero? LOL

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 05-11-2016).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2016 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like those cars .Too bad GM could not bring them over here .There was also a Vauxhall version of the same car .Built very similar to a lotus Elise .
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2016 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

I really like those cars .Too bad GM could not bring them over here .There was also a Vauxhall version of the same car .Built very similar to a lotus Elise .

Solstice and Saturn Sky are basically Opel GTs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_GT

lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2016 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Sky, Solstice, Opel GT, and a Daewoo variant were all built on the same line in Wilmington.

But those Opel pictures are NOT an Opel GT. They look a lot more like a rebadged Tesla Roadster.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2016 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

The Sky, Solstice, Opel GT, and a Daewoo variant were all built on the same line in Wilmington.

But those Opel pictures are NOT an Opel GT. They look a lot more like a rebadged Tesla Roadster.

Those pictures are NOT an Opel GT. It is the Opel Speedster. It is not on the Solstice chassis as it is a Mid Engine car!

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 05-12-2016).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2016 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Vauxhall version was the VX 220 .Both it and the Opel speedster were built by Lotus , mid engine rear wheel drive .After they were discontinued in 2005 ,the opel replacements were clones of the Saturn Sky .There was no replacement for the Vauxhall version .

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 05-12-2016).]

hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2016 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Opel GT was a Kappa platform only used on the Solstice and Sky. It was a RWD Front engine car.

What is shown here is an Opel Speedster and that is really a Lotus Elise that has some restyling and a GM Ecotec engine. It is mid engine and was built by Lotus in England in limited numbers.

If you want an Opel Speedster you really should just buy buy one. Or even better yet buy a used Lotus.

Yes the Tesla also was based on this car as they just installed an Electric drive train in it. The Lotus used a Toyota engine.

Note the GM version has a little more weight but was a little more comfortable as it was not as bare bones as the early Lotus. Yes Vauxhall also offered them in limited number.s

In fact production of these cars was very limited due to the Lotus ability to make them and they were not cheap when new. They never came here as the price would have been too high as the Lotus at that time was not certified for our laws and it was not a cheap car to start with.

I would assume today you could buy one used and import it since the laws are much easier on gray market cars today.
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2016 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Note the GM version has a little more weight but was a little more comfortable as it was not as bare bones as the early Lotus

While I wouldn't say no to an Elise for the right price I did notice the bare bones feel from the couple I've been in.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2016 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

While I wouldn't say no to an Elise for the right price I did notice the bare bones feel from the couple I've been in.

Yes Lotus is a minimalist car. You want bare bones get in a Super 7 or a Europa. They make a VW kit car feel down right production.

The one thing I liked was the Lotus a co worker bought new. It was a track ready street legal version. But it had no rear window. It also had a rear view mirror inside the cat. I appears it was easier to install the useless mirror vs. getting a waiver from the DOT to eliminate the mirror.

I find the Speedster was one of the most misunderstood cars GM has built as so many people never caught the Lotus connection nor how expensive and basic they really were. Many people cried that Pontiac should have gotten one but the price would have limited sales and Lotus could only make so many anyways. These were priced right with a Corvette for the era.

It was like the OPC Opel as it was a really great car with the Turbo V6 and many cried it should have been a Regal GS. What they failed to notice is the OPC Opel in Europe sold for around $60,000 and not many Americans would have paid that much for the car so they de contented it to what the GS was and it had limited sales at $42,000. Great car for sure but you have to make the car to the market as they do have limits.

I have not kept up but to find a good used Speedster today may be interesting and have it imported. The new laws make it easier to bring these in and the fact the Lotus is now DOT legal could help even more.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2016 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

What is shown here is an Opel Speedster and that is really a Lotus Elise that has some restyling and a GM Ecotec engine. It is mid engine and was built by Lotus in England in limited numbers.

Given a choice I'd rather have a Lotus Elise, as I think those cars have beautiful styling. Although the Speedster does have an Ecotec engine, which would also be preferable. If I suddenly came into a ton of disposable income, An Elise or Exige would be high on my list along with a transplanted turbo Ecotec engine.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2016 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Given a choice I'd rather have a Lotus Elise, as I think those cars have beautiful styling. Although the Speedster does have an Ecotec engine, which would also be preferable. If I suddenly came into a ton of disposable income, An Elise or Exige would be high on my list along with a transplanted turbo Ecotec engine.

Agreed

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock