Pics of an isuzu 5spd from a Grand Am swap by 1984whitesc
Started on: 05-05-2016 05:08 AM
Replies: 9 (451 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 05-07-2016 08:24 AM
1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2016 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had nothing but problems with the stock fiero isuzu transmissions. It seems everyone of them I got were abused, so I decided to swap a grand am 5 spd. I didn't find too many pictures to help finure out what I needed to do to get it to swap over. So I took a few pics so others don't have to search like I did. This transmission came from an 89 Grand Am with the 2.5 and not the 2.0. I guess the gear ratios are the same. The shift mechanism cannot be rotated and the clutch arm is too short. Both are an easy fix if you swap them from the old isuzu. If you wanted to use the clutch slave from the Grand am(or Cavalier/Calais), then you don't have to swap the clutch arm. I decided to use the stock clutch slave to simplify the swap. I had to swap the clutch slave mounting bracket also. All in all it was a really easy swap.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

------------------

1984 White Fiero Sport Coupe (Juliet) in restoration
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089093.html
1986 Gold Fiero Sport Coupe (Oria)
1988 Red Fiero Standard Coupe (Bella) in restoration
1990 Black Buick Reatta (Noir)
2002 White Chevy Impala base(Haylie)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2016 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you don't mind my asking, what was the price?
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2016 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the internals different?
1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2016 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Are the internals different?

http://www.j-body.org/forum...f=48&i=29241&t=29241
All of the internals are the same. If you scroll down to half way you can see the gear rations for the 82-89 Grand Am Isuzu 5 Speed.

Originally posted by no2pencil:

If you don't mind my asking, what was the price?

Not at all. It does very, but the medium price range is between 250 and 400. I got mine for a steal at 100.

[This message has been edited by 1984whitesc (edited 05-05-2016).]

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah, ok. So you are saying this is another source for Isuzus, not that they are beefier. Still, maybe they did some improvements so even if they were beat on they would last. I've seen some that were pretty noisy but for the application they seem to last.

Good info! + for you.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't it the case that usually gives up the ghost? That was the reason they began casting enforcing ribs into the cases in 85. That case actually looks stronger on the outside, especially around the output shafts. That's some pretty heavy gusseting. It's most definitely stronger than the 84 4-speed transmissions.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Outside of putting a V8 on one, is there a common failure for the Isuzu? The only solid failures I've heard of were from exceeding their torque spec. Behind the 2.5 they seem to be bullet-proof. I know, that just doesn't sound right does it.
1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen many pics where 2ND gear had been chewed threw when it blew.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Isn't it the case that usually gives up the ghost? That was the reason they began casting enforcing ribs into the cases in 85. That case actually looks stronger on the outside, especially around the output shafts. That's some pretty heavy gusseting. It's most definitely stronger than the 84 4-speed transmissions.

You are thinking of the 4 speed Muncie which was in the 84 and returned in 85 with additional ribs in the case. The 5 speed Isuzu in the Fiero was the same during it's entire run of 85 to 88.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2016 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I was, but I was also referring to later transmissions. That ribbing looks wider and deeper than what I remember on even the Getrags

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock