Omaha trooper pulls over wooden sports car by jmclemore
Started on: 04-29-2016 01:53 PM
Replies: 19 (686 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 04-30-2016 09:43 AM
jmclemore

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmclemoreSend a Private Message to jmclemoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guess What is under all of that wood

Guys if you haven't heard this story yet,
your gonna love whats underneath the wooden exterior.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the link

Most of the car was made out of cedar wood, including the interior dash, frame, steering wheel and console, Price said

Or did he do like most people do, just rip the outer body panels off and put wood over it, And is the guy someone on here?

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not bad looking
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats neat!
I bet it smells awesome to drive.
jmclemore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmclemoreSend a Private Message to jmclemoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Soapbox derby game changer
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gen2muchwork:

Thats neat!
I bet it smells awesome to drive.

Sure, but have you ever seen cedar burn?Stand back!

J-Holland

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J-HollandSend a Private Message to J-HollandEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You beat me to it.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the trooper couldn't tell it had North Dakota plates before pulling it over?
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

So the trooper couldn't tell it had North Dakota plates before pulling it over?

No kidding. Sounds like an illegal stop to me.

Kevin
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And they called it a sports car.

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to know what the nose is made out of. Compound curves in wood? How is that done?

The rest reminds me of contact paper.
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

I'd like to know what the nose is made out of. Compound curves in wood? How is that done?

BIG block of wood (or lots of smaller pieces laminated together) and a LOT of sanding maybe!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

I'd like to know what the nose is made out of.

MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The main body of the car is done with stripper wood like they use to make Kayaks and canoes. They are glued together and then sanded to shape. In a Kayak or a Canoe they then cover the inside and out with fiberglass and epoxy resin. It is a great way to build a kayak. Super light and very strong. I am guessing that that is mostly panels over the sheet metal construction of a regular Fiero frame. It takes about 2000 hours of work to build a 16 foot kayak like this. So I can't imagine how much time and effort he has in this.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Price did not give the driver a ticket.

Duh... He shouldn't have even pulled him over.

Brad
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

No kidding. Sounds like an illegal stop to me.

Kevin

The wife got pulled over one time as she was pulling the Fiero into a grocery store parking lot, he just wanted to look at it as he had never seen one before. Hey there are 2 or 3 in town and we only have like 7,000 year round residents.

I can understand kids, under 10 never seeing one but someone who was in Afghanistan before becoming a cop, hell he was a guard at that prison that got all the news coverage.

But then who doesn't like to talk about their cars to anyone who is willing to listen or to dispel the myth that they all catch on fire?

Steve
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is cool.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got pulled over in mine by a state trooper. First, he wouldn't believe such a vehicle as a Fiero existed (despite decals & my insurance card). He thought it was something I made in my garage. Then he threatened me, saying it was likely stolen. My plates & license came up clean, no reports on such a car.

In fairness, the car was painted in, um, anti-theft colors.

If he hadn't been such a jerk, I wouldn't have minded as much.

Wouldn't a wooden car be rather heavy? I wonder how humidity & moisture affect panel fitment.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
The wife got pulled over one time as she was pulling the Fiero into a grocery store parking lot, he just wanted to look at it as he had never seen one before. Hey there are 2 or 3 in town and we only have like 7,000 year round residents.

But then who doesn't like to talk about their cars to anyone who is willing to listen or to dispel the myth that they all catch on fire?

Steve

It's abuse of authority to pull someone over out of personal curiousity. If they want to stop & talk, fine. No lights necessary.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

It's abuse of authority to pull someone over out of personal curiousity. If they want to stop & talk, fine. No lights necessary.

Actually he didn't actually pull her over, he drove into the lot behind her and just turned his lights on so he could see the car and talk to her, and well my wife is a looker. So maybe he just wanted a date?

Ether way he was nice about it and not like the other posters stop. We didn't buy them to not be noticed, if I wanted to not be noticed I would have bought a 73 Oldsmobile With a 454 in it like my dad had in 73, it would pass just about anything except a gas station. It was great at night as well being a 4 door at night just put the emergency flashers on and everyone got out of the way because at night it kind of looked like a police car. I can't even remember the amount of times I drove that thing in the middle of the night up north of here, past Bangor well over 100, no cars on the roads north of Bangor and the cops had better things to do at 2 in the morning.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-30-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock