Is it worth refinishing used parts to sell by boysatt
Started on: 04-23-2016 07:10 PM
Replies: 15 (448 views)
Last post by: boysatt on 04-27-2016 08:02 AM
boysatt

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I am parting out 8 fiero's and I plan on pretty much stripping them to nothing and selling everything. Trying to decide if could make more money if I sold refinished parts. I have the ability to strip any parts and powder coat to like new. I it worth it though and what parts should I do? Is it worth doing all the suspension and engine bay parts so people would have like new parts to buy?

I know no one likes buying rusty parts so that why I'm asking and I have dozens of sets ofcontrol arms, spindles, valve covers, intakes and other engine parts that would be redone.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be happy if parts that I was buying were degreased, and/or maybe run through a parts cleaner. Maybe knock off any loose rust with a wire wheel.
Some folks will bead blast parts. That's a nice touch, as long as no beads or sand can get lodged inside things (like intake manifolds and such.)
I wouldn't worry about refinishing them, though. Unless it's valve covers or an upper plenum. Maybe not even then.

Control arms and knuckles - let the buyers worry about paint if they want.
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While back bought a Fiero 5spd shifter off eBay for $40... Was functional fine,but a little rusty and dirty. I cleaned it up for a project I was going to do .... but never did. 2 years later I listed it back on ebay...... got OVER $300 for it!!!!
A clean part will definitely out sell a dirty one...

That said it also depends on demand.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some parts should be handled certain ways, and nobody agrees with all practices. You want to make more money? Offer the parts as-is. Then mention a price for cleaning and powder coating. That way no part gets altered unless the buyer wants it to be. You'll attract much more interest this way, especially if you offer various colors for powder coating. This is exactly the kind of vendor I like most. A choice between original, untouched equipment, or original with extra shine
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finishing some parts cause problems...
Chrome etc on an alternator might look "cool" to some but can trap heat when running them. Heat can fry electronics and lowers efficiency of the windings. SI alt's have poor efficiency to start with.

You have to be careful clean parts too.
Most oil/grease, Chemicals and solvents can attack plastics and "rubber..."
Could eat them, swell, make them brittle, etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why would chrome cause heat retention on an alternator?
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was always puzzled by people selling used parts here that were filthy dirty and looked like they spent the last 10 years buried underground. I've passed on parts I would liked to bought because they were so filthy I couldn't see the condition of the part. Even if it sat in a garage for years and is covered in cobwebs, at least clean it up so it looks better. I wouldn't care about refinishing as I'd rather do that myself, but at least make the part look nicer.
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey boysatt, I think your idea of reselling "cleaned up " used Fiero parts is a great idea. I would gladly pay a fair price for original factory parts, and pay even more if all the grime was removed, and a nice coat of paint was applied. Color depending on part, of corse. Maybe you might want to consider offering a base price for the used part, and an additional cost for it being reconditioned. Whatever you decide, I think its a very good idea, and hope to see you following thru.
NSAN1T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NSAN1TSend a Private Message to NSAN1TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Harbor Freight has a nice smaller sized parts blasting cabinet at a decent price. Using baking soda for blasting works good and doesn't leave debris that can affect use. Just a thought anyway.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:
Why would chrome cause heat retention on an alternator?
Chrome and most other finish can reduces Aluminum case dumping heat. Even polishing can reduce heat transfer to air outside of case, worse many will clear coat to keep them shiny.

Many forget or don't know that Alt's case is also Heatsink for the Diodes and Regulator. Color and finish can have an effect on any heatsink. Black anodize finish on most Heatsinks for other application is not just to make them look better.
Black dump heat faster, Anodize protect but doesn't hurt thermal performance like chrome, paint, or powder coat.

Cases for ECM/PCM are often heatsink for driver circuitry etc.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Even polishing can reduce heat transfer to air outside of case...

To expound (I like that word) on what Ogre said, polishing greatly decreases the surface area. The greater area, the better the heat disbursement. If you look at any raw aluminum (or aluminium for those on the other side of the pond), you'll see that it's bumpy (and pitted). Polishing removes all the bumps. That's a TON of surface area. Point A to B in the desert might be a mile. The same distance (as the crow flies) in the mountains might be 100 miles. (You know what I mean.)
PFF
System Bot
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2016 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnt671:

I was always puzzled by people selling used parts here that were filthy dirty and looked like they spent the last 10 years buried underground. I've passed on parts I would liked to bought because they were so filthy I couldn't see the condition of the part. Even if it sat in a garage for years and is covered in cobwebs, at least clean it up so it looks better. I wouldn't care about refinishing as I'd rather do that myself, but at least make the part look nicer.

There is a guy selling old rusty ashtrays on ebay for more than I can get new ones.

I don't get it.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2016 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:
There is a guy selling old rusty ashtrays on ebay for more than I can get new ones.

I don't get it.

More surface area to dissipate the heat from his cigarettes. Is he actually selling them or just trying to?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2016 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would clean them up, but don't go overboard.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2016 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnt671:

I was always puzzled by people selling used parts here that were filthy dirty and looked like they spent the last 10 years buried underground.

Like this:

I bought a Plenum and valve covers from a member on here, and this is what they looked like after I blew off most of the grass and spider webs. I can not understand people sending out parts like that. Anything I have sold on here, has at least been cleaned well, and most of the time painted.

boysatt

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well that's most likely what I will do later this summer after I strip my cars I will blast parts and have stuff powder coated and sell stuff in like new condition. Just takes a little extra time, I already have a commercial sand blast cabinet and I have a deal worked out with a powder coating place for $5 per part with a option of 7 different colors.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock