Started on: 04-22-2016 07:23 AM
Replies: 12 (508 views)
Last post by: fierobear on 04-23-2016 12:57 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Re: A plea for help (important!) by Cliff Pennock

Hello Cliff,

If Google's bots can find this material, is it possible that someone offers a bot-powered "site cleanup" service that you could engage to help clean up Pennock's..? Not Google itself, I guess, because they would probably have told you about it (?)

I guess this is something you would already know about, but--no stone left unturned.

I don't see why, but for some reason my attempts to post this message as a reply to the original thread were not successful.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 04-22-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2016 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had no issue..

I p.m.'d him.. and advised he ask google what keywords they are using to search for questionable material..

I'm thinking most of jake dragons girl photo's and avatar,

Said he might what to prune the "trash can"

I'll bet just like facebook,, any threads with muslum in it, gets flagged..
or trump, Clinton, sanders, cruze ,etc..
and any on pot use..
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Said he might what to prune the "trash can"

I would suggest making trash can & off-topic "member only" areas. Then Google can't crawl the content.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2016 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

I would suggest making trash can & off-topic "member only" areas. Then Google can't crawl the content.

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

if that would work,sounds like a great plan...im in
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Obviously I have no way of knowning what kind of coding is in the forum, but this could be accomplished as easily as implementing a change to robots.txt (as Google spiders do adhere to this file), changing sitemap.xml (if one is used), or checking for sessions on access to either of those forums.

I'm a big believer in controlling access over censorship.

Just throwing out my 2 cents.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2016 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Obviously I have no way of knowning what kind of coding is in the forum, but this could be accomplished as easily as implementing a change to robots.txt (as Google spiders do adhere to this file), changing sitemap.xml (if one is used), or checking for sessions on access to either of those forums.

I'm a big believer in controlling access over censorship.

Just throwing out my 2 cents.

most forum software , has a privledge settings page...
where you'd change the privileges for O/T and trash can from all, to registered users only
now guest that lurk and search engine bots can't crawl those areas..
and with O/t and trash can not really needing use of a search engine.. it be no harm no fowl..
It also make any thread post that are taboo not cause this issue again..

the other parts of the forum would still get crawled by the boxes but very rarely does anything bad get posted in those..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 04-22-2016).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, that isn't entirely true. Google doesn't really crawl the site (I think) but examines the content of the page its ad is displayed on. So hiding behind a members only area will not prevent a thread from being flagged.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see, I misunderstood the base of the issue.
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Well, that isn't entirely true. Google doesn't really crawl the site (I think) but examines the content of the page its ad is displayed on. So hiding behind a members only area will not prevent a thread from being flagged.

Really? Interesting. Is there any way you can make the add "contained", but still viewable? JaveScript maybe? I also hate the idea of "pop ups", but I'd make and exception for PFF and white listed the URL..

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you get caught screwing with Google ads, you're kicked off AdSense for good. Maybe label topics (general/technical/mall) as ad friendly, & (trash/off topic) as non-ad friendly, then server side only load the Google Ads < script > tag block on ad friendly topics.
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you get caught screwing with Google ads, you're kicked off AdSense for good. Maybe label topics (general/technical/mall) as ad friendly, & (trash/off topic) as non-ad friendly, then server side only load the Google Ads < script > tag block on ad friendly topics.

This topic is important. I get it. We have at least 3 threads about it, including this one started by the same person who triple posted in the original thread. I wouldn't have seen the one in OT, except someone linked to it.

The thing is, I suspect prior posts are correct in suggesting that most of the ad revenue comes from OT.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

As has been stated, the loss of ad revenue from losing the OT section might be a problem. But what about the reverse solution, make OT members-only, and *isolated* from the ads? Would that kill too much revenue? How about a yearly membership fee to access the members only area?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock