replacing a manual transmission with a automatic in a 1984 fiero by dasivesind
Started on: 04-20-2016 01:46 PM
Replies: 12 (601 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 04-25-2016 02:38 AM
dasivesind

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dasivesindSend a Private Message to dasivesindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what is the difference between the 1984 fiero auto trans and the 1985 thru 1988 ? do I need a 1984 automatic or older to put in this car
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The final drive ratio may have changed over the years, but the transmission itself is the same.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the 5speed Isuzu from a 4 cylinder engine on my V6, & other than spacing with the shift cables it is a fit. On the forum I have read of others doing the same. There are different manual transmissions between 84 & 88, but I believe there are no compatibility issues.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Save yourself a lot of work.....sell the manual car....buy an automatic car.

Welcome to the Forum!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Save yourself a lot of work.....sell the manual car....buy an automatic car.

Exactly. Unless there is something very special about this Fiero, just find one that came from the factory with an automatic. And of course this same advice applies to anyone who wishes to convert an automatic to a manual. Just get one that originally came with the transmission type you prefer.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-20-2016).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Unless there is something very special about this Fiero,

Ya...and in that case, don't put a Fiero transmission in it!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Exactly. Unless there is something very special about this Fiero, just find one that came from the factory with an automatic. And of course this same advice applies to anyone who wishes to convert an automatic to a manual. Just get one that originally came with the transmission type you prefer.

This totally depends on the car and what you are going to do with it. If you are adding an LS4/F40 to it then converting to manual is probably worth it. Same as if you were adding a V8 with an auto stuck to it. It's really not a big deal to convert if you doing an engine swap. Almost in the noise.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

It's really not a big deal to convert if you doing an engine swap.

For anyone new at this who thinks all they have to do is swap the actual transmissions... I suggest it is a "big deal" when they start to list all the fiddly bits required for the complete job. I wouldn't do it unless I had a donor car parked right next to the project car.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-20-2016).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me personally changing an engine is a huge major deal. I paid someone to do it for me. I also paid someone to change the transmission As for changing the car to manual... I paid someone to do that as well and it wasn't that much extra. So from a customer standpoint if I've got tens of thousands invested in my car, and I'm changing engines and transmissions, going from auto to manual is trivial.

As I said originally it totally depends on the car and the owner's goals for it.
dasivesind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dasivesindSend a Private Message to dasivesindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for your inputs dave
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Manual to Auto conversion checklist

http://www.thefierofactory.com/qaautoswap.php

I just did this. Biggest hassle is the clutch / brake pedal. You should be able to just pull the bolt out the side, slip off the clutch pedal and brake pedal, and insert an auto brake pedal. I don't know if all of them had the bolt in the wrong direction from the factory or not. If you could pull the bolt out toward the fuse panel, then no issue. Mine had to go toward the heater box, and there wasn't enough room, so I had to pull the brake pedal assembly. That is a BEAR to get out, and back in.

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For anyone new at this who thinks all they have to do is swap the actual transmissions... I suggest it is a "big deal" when they start to list all the fiddly bits required for the complete job. I wouldn't do it unless I had a donor car parked right next to the project car.

You are correct, it isn't easy and the donor car is a good idea. Simple way is swap in a complete wiring harness and ECM for your model year that used an auto. It will be programmed right and you will have the connectors all hooked up. Then you will need the shifter mechanism, selector cable, auto trans mounts, auto axles, the tranny, flexplate, the selector switch and TV cable. More involved than just bolting in an auto, Doable but labor intensive.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

Manual to Auto conversion checklist

http://www.thefierofactory.com/qaautoswap.php

I just did this. Biggest hassle is the clutch / brake pedal. You should be able to just pull the bolt out the side, slip off the clutch pedal and brake pedal, and insert an auto brake pedal. I don't know if all of them had the bolt in the wrong direction from the factory or not. If you could pull the bolt out toward the fuse panel, then no issue. Mine had to go toward the heater box, and there wasn't enough room, so I had to pull the brake pedal assembly. That is a BEAR to get out, and back in.

There is only 12 things on that list a a couple of them I consider optional.

By the way, contrary to intuition, I think it's easier to go from auto to manual. For one I didn't change out the steering column. I consider the little lever on the steering column practically worthless and not worth changing out the column. Also I had a manual console in my auto. I know where the gears are I didn't need to see the letters down there. Little things like that you don't have to change unless you really want to.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock