Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My "new" Blue 87 GT - Progress so far, and work left to do.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
My "new" Blue 87 GT - Progress so far, and work left to do. by CavScout
Started on: 04-18-2016 08:40 PM
Replies: 21 (319 views)
Last post by: CavScout on 04-24-2016 10:22 AM
CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all.
Well, I've just managed 500 miles on my "new" 87 GT.
Some of you may have read about this car when it was in the mall. (And where most of the "before" pics came from originally as I didn't take many LOL)
For a bit of background on why this is "the" car I've always wanted...

I graduated High School in 1987.
In 1986/87 I worked for a time at a local Pontiac dealership (Royal Oak MI) part time after school as a car porter. (Right after I got my drivers license.)
My job? Pick up new cars at various lots and bring them back to the dealership for prep. Drive cars from dealership's prep shop to the showroom. (Located a couple blocks away.)
Light vehicle prep. Peeling plastic wrap off stuff, unwrap items for the mechanics prior to installation, etc. etc. I was a gopher. But it was way cool as a 16 year old to drive all these brand new cars.
So, there's my Fiero link, and why having an 87 is something I've always wanted.
Now of course I have my winter beater (87 Sport, Iron Duke auto rough but reliable - and great in the snow for my commute to work.) my "old" summer car (84 SE. Nice car, solid. But a stick, and for some reason I'm not fond of it, mostly the lack of a "year" connection.) and now my 87 GT.

I plan on keeping both 87's. My 84 I'm in the midst of figuring out how to get it to my little brother in Michigan. (Will likely just drive it to him this summer if he can't come get it LOL) The winter beater will be my winter car till it dies and I determine it costs more to fix then I care to spend. (She's a victim of a horrible aftermarket sunroof installation.)

With all that said, here's the new GT.
After I'm done posting, I'll list what's done so far, and what's left to do LOL
Anyone else in the Buffalo area that wants to have a wrench weekend, hit me up! (I've chatted with a couple of you guys already. When are we meeting up at Zorba's?)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here it is leaving Kentucky. I wish the truck was only $20 lol seems the milage blew that outta the water....

CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CavScout

258 posts
Member since Dec 2014
Before paint pics.
I had to get her painted in a hurry - first thing I did after the light work needed just to drive her - the paint was worse then the pics actually look - I'm still cleaning pine stuff out of nooks and crannies!
(And because paint was going to cost the most to do, and I wasn't doing it myself, I had to get it done while I had the funds.)

CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CavScout

258 posts
Member since Dec 2014
And after a quick $1,500 paint job. Blue only, factory color. I have some in process pics the guys painting were nice enough to send me, but have to get off my phone and will post later to show some of the prep. Dropped car off on a Friday, picked it up done as is Monday LOL Also, personalized plates came in - just put them on car today, along with plate frames I got off Amazon for too much money. But they are what I wanted - metal, with the PONTIAC engraved in. I wasn't happy with other frames I found online. These, with shipping were pushing 30 bucks each for the black and chrome. The end result is what I wanted tho so can't complain!

CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CavScout

258 posts
Member since Dec 2014
So, what have I done so far besides paint?
You'll see how screwed up my priorities are LOL
Brakes weren't great as seller admitted.
Hand washed the car once home (cleaning is inspection the Army taught me!) and didn't think the brakes were that bad. Blasting off the rotors and pads helped greatly after they dried out.
Keep in mind, the 500 miles I've put on her since bringing her home is more than it had put on her in the past 10 years. So I decided the best thing to do is drive her and shake her out.
Battery swap needed. Still some electrical bugs to sort out. (Going to shop tomorrow to tighten/replace the alternator belt.) That's an entire thread, and may be still if the new belt doesn't take care of the odd charging issues / behavior under load and low RPM.) I tell ya, the search function on here is handy! So, yes, I know about some of the tensioners etc that are available now and one may find their way here soon.
If I don't mention some folks on here who's products I've purchased, it isn't because I wasn't totally happy with them! It's just my memory sucks and it's hard to look up who I got what from while I also type this.

I've always hated not having a cup holder for my coffee, so yup. Got one on here and LOVE it!
Got new visors and a headliner kit. (Installed visors, headliner will wait until the weather improves and stays warm.)
Bits from TFS (center caps).
Rock Auto rotors & pads all around, as well as front wheel bearings.
"New" MP3 capable Pontiac Monsoon radio - installed.
Better than OEM speakers from Rodney. (Not in yet - when I do the headliner.)
Replacement EGR tube from Rodney as well. (Sick of the SES light - original was removed and capped with a piece of metal.) Of course not installed yet LOL
Made front license plate bracket after being inspired on here by someone else. (Names escape me.)
New rear tires. Search helped alot here as well, but still agonized over sizes. Decided just to replace the rears for now, and went with 215/65R15 which fill up the height very well. (Hand fits above the new rears to the fender very closely to the same as the stock sized fronts now.) The old Dunlops were very dry rotted, but had great tread. Shame, as I liked the Dunlops and wished they were still available. They were 225/60R15's BTW Went with stock width which seem fine to me, just the height drove me nuts at 60 seemed too short for wheel well. I think the 65's were a good compromise. What ever cheapie brand Mavis had in stock. Nothing special, but not dry rotted either. Eventually I'll figure out exactly what I want on her, and have all 4 tires the same brand and tread - but at least the fronts match each other as well as the rears so good enough for now. (I'm not flogging her during the shake down LOL)

Thankfully I don't keep good records of what I've spent. Not worrying about resale, and afraid I'd get sticker shock. Doing it cuz I want to, not make a buck. But, for a ball park (low I'm sure) of 3000 invested I'm very happy with what I have and the guys at work that have been watching the progress are amazed that's all I've spent. May actually be inspiring a couple more future Fiero owners LOL

I'm sure I'm missing something. But that's enough for tonight - I gotta get ready for work.

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!
CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Looks good!

Thanks! Of course likely a bit better in pics but I can't say I'm not happy enough with how she's turning out.

And of course I remembered a couple items I forgot that I've got for it (and of course not installed yet) compass/temp review mirror (will do when I do the headliner) and keyless entry.

All stuff found out about, and gotten from here.

Guess I better buy Cliff a beer!
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! She looks great.

------------------

CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

Wow! She looks great.

Thanks! She's been "easy" to work with a very good base. I stopped considering KY "south" sometime around February when I went to Basic & AIT at Ft. Knox LOL (I was 18, and that's as far South as I'd ever went at the time... thought South meant "no winter" haha) still, they must use little to no salt down there, the underbody is so clean! She'll spend her winters up here in a garage under cover.

Besides what's already noted, my quartet panels are more crazed then I've ever seen, short of falling out. And the tail lights. (((Sigh))) I've been following a certain thread with great anticipation, but fear I'll end up buying aftermarket windows on eBay or TFS, as well as maybe experiment with delamination repair.

But really. What is killing guys at work is that I have something fairly unique, that sounds sweet and is looking pretty good, for not a lot of cash up front. What else can you really buy these days for 3 grand? Take your pick of boring sedans. I live 6 miles from work. May as well get there in style.

And if she breaks down, the walk isn't too bad LOL
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Internet pics don't do the stock blue color justice. It's so nice
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice, I like blue 87's !!!
PFF
System Bot
CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looked good wet too LOL

Fierochic88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Cav - of course, I'm partial to blue ;-) You should bring it to Carlisle this year!!

~ Jen

------------------
Silver 1988 GT
Cobalt Blue 85 GT 3.4
MAFOA Newsletter Director

Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks very nice. I like that color a lot, similar (in certain lighting) to Ford's grabber blue which I also really like. I wouldn't kick it out of my garage!
CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero 88:

Looks very nice. I like that color a lot, similar (in certain lighting) to Ford's grabber blue which I also really like.

I've always liked the grabber blue as well. Was going to paint a Maverick that color once upon a time.
CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CavScout

258 posts
Member since Dec 2014

Originally posted by Fierochic88:

Looks good Cav - of course, I'm partial to blue ;-) You should bring it to Carlisle this year!!

I was considering it, but I'm not sure if she'll be ready for the trip this year.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CavScout:

I was considering it, but I'm not sure if she'll be ready for the trip this year.

Aww, come on!!! You'll make it!

Looking good man... I love the color...

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

Aww, come on!!! You'll make it!

Ya know what? Screw it, maybe I will. Will look up event info once I get into work tonight. Then check vacation calendar and see if I can schedule the weekend off. It would've been my 27 (?!) wedding anniversary on the 23rd. (Still might be, we're not divorced yet but have been separated 6 months) so yeah, figure a car show is a good enough place to get sloppy drunk. OMG tell me it's not in a dry county or something.

Gotta look up lodging etc etc. Figure out required spare parts I better take, tools etc. Google map it haha yeah lodging is important. Fieros aren't known to be the best car to sleep in.

Read the thread on it. Seems I've missed the free tshirts. Hope the websites are updated to include travel info.

So after babbling all that, I can definitely say "maybe we'll see".
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's my first year going too if you do make it! Hopefully you can go!

Hershey Park is on the way so there is something else to do as well!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Looks good!

Nice find. Nice car. My 87 GT came from KY.
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really nice car. Shining blue in the spring sun!

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

PFF
System Bot
CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys...
For today, I'm trying to motivate myself to attempt to wire in the keyless entry.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock