Started on: 04-17-2016 07:03 PM
Replies: 26 (472 views)
Last post by: tebailey on 04-20-2016 07:53 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watched a guy that was texting while driving a few mornings ago, it was obvious he wasn't paying attention to where his vehicle was in the lane. You know how this is going to turn out.............. Watched him at a traffic light continue to play with his phone. As I looked ahead of us, I saw a semi (Vehicle Transport) with it's ramps down on the side of the road, the driver was unloading Toyotas.

The texting driver apparently didn't notice..............

The light changed, he held back a bit (I guess because he wasn't watching the light) but eventually started to move. I was ahead of him by now but, he wasn't far behind.

As I/we passed that semi, I heard a big noise.......... Yep, the texting driver had hit the left side ramp with his right front wheel and that noise was the sound of his SUV rolling over into my lane....

It took the rescue squad about two hours to cut him out of that SUV.... He was battered, bruised and beat up a bit but alive. He said he must have been distracted and not seen the semi.

Personally, I have no problem with the government/police/courts getting access to cell phone data. I think it should be done with a court order but, there is no more right to privacy on a cell phone than there is on a land line IMHO.......

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I realize some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

With that said, I'd rather see them allow talking on the phone and prosecute people texting.

While talking on the phone most people can keep their eyes on the road. Thumb-asses can't and are a danger to others.

People that love or favor texting should look into the meaning of the word "phone".

------------------
If sugar-coating is what you crave... Willy Wonka doesn't live here.

tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a woman on a motor cycle the other day texting while driving. And of course, no helmet. Won't have to worry about her for long.
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hear and see ads about police "cracking down" on texting while driving, however I still hear about stuff like this pretty frequently. Around here I often see people resting their wrists on the top of the wheel, phone in hands, texting...not even trying to hide it. The penalties must not be stiff enough when you get pulled over to be so carefree about endangering other drivers and pedestrians.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes I talk on the phone while I drive. I don't much like to, but I do.
Texting? No. I find it too distracting.
And I'm that person who used to drive a company-owned four speed S10 with manual steering, while drinking coffee, smoking a cigarette, and talking on the two-way radio.

I see people texting all the time. Usually in the left lane, a quarter mile behind the car ahead of them. Cretins.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-17-2016).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-18-2016 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Watched a guy that was texting while driving a few mornings ago, it was obvious he wasn't paying attention to where his vehicle was in the lane. You know how this is going to turn out.............. Watched him at a traffic light continue to play with his phone. As I looked ahead of us, I saw a semi (Vehicle Transport) with it's ramps down on the side of the road, the driver was unloading Toyotas.

The texting driver apparently didn't notice..............

The light changed, he held back a bit (I guess because he wasn't watching the light) but eventually started to move. I was ahead of him by now but, he wasn't far behind.

As I/we passed that semi, I heard a big noise.......... Yep, the texting driver had hit the left side ramp with his right front wheel and that noise was the sound of his SUV rolling over into my lane....

It took the rescue squad about two hours to cut him out of that SUV.... He was battered, bruised and beat up a bit but alive. He said he must have been distracted and not seen the semi.

Personally, I have no problem with the government/police/courts getting access to cell phone data. I think it should be done with a court order but, there is no more right to privacy on a cell phone than there is on a land line IMHO.......

2 hours??? for a light roll over,?? you have photo's of this, as I'm sorry.. unless he hit the ramp like he was part of the tv shop "C.H.I.P.'S" IT NOT TAKE more than a few minutes to remove a person from a roll over

Another texting b/s short story.. (my opinion)

I'm sure the unloading truck had cones out on the road before the truck like required by law, sorry, we can not cherry pick what road laws to enforce or what one trumps another, 2 wrongs doesn't make one side right..
Sure there is a huge problem with people texting.. as some people can't walk and talk at the same time.. But the fact is people are not going to stop texting, and adding a law with fines only makes most try to hit the fact that they are, putting the screen even farther from the view of the road, BRILLANT!!!
You see if any of the texting and laws was about safety they have required the phone o/s to have a few extra steps to click to get to a texting screen /app(say 5 extra steps) if the phone gps shows more than 5mph, to allow typing texting, as anyone on a bus, or a passenger in a vehicle will have the time to scroll through them, but a driver most likely wouldn't.. forcing them to use the talk to text part of the app.that doesn't need you to scroll through a bunch of steps to get to the texting app,. removing the need to look at screen to type it out..
but the laws and fines and insurance surcharges for getting the ticket are not about safety it's about a money grab...

Texting is the scape goat for every wreck now,, no matter the facts..
IF texting is such an issue as we have been lead to believe then the highway safety dept. would have required auto makers to remove the nav. system functions when the vehicle is in gear, other than the voice telling you "turn left in 1/2 mile on to cherry street," no live map on the screen.

And if this(texting) was shown in studies to distract as much as it does, then EVERY CRUISER ON THE ROAD, laptop screen and plate reader and all the other gear should black out the screens while the vehicle is moving.... EVER see the inside of a new cruiser, it's like a war room, if texting was so bad, then cops should be wrecking cruisers at an alarming rate...

But like everything else in this country, we'll try to fix a problem real or not with banning/fines/etc.. that never have worked.. instead of using the technology avail. to fix or reduce the problem.. cause the latter doesn't fill the city's till the insurance companies bottom line, or the court systems... so we get the law/fine/banning ..
Your mileage may vary
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
2 hours??? for a light roll over,?? you have photo's of this, as I'm sorry.. unless he hit the ramp like he was part of the tv shop "C.H.I.P.'S" IT NOT TAKE more than a few minutes to remove a person from a roll over

Another texting b/s short story.. (my opinion)

Your option to believe what ever you wish to believe. I will admit, the 2 hours is what I was told (but that was from one of the guys on our local FD), I didn't stick around to observe as to the rest of the post, it's as factual as I can recall.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I disagree. I was personally in a single car accident (my Triumph TR7) back in 1990 where I slid off the road into a fence. It wasn't a rollover...just a car sliding sideways into a fence but it still took fire crews 2 hours to get me out of the car. My feet were pinned by the pedals to the center tunnel and everything they tried just put more pressure on my feet rather than free me up. It isn't always straight forward to get someone out...depends where the limbs fly and the metal parts bend.
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't see the issue as about texting.

It's about distracted driving. Texting, talking, fiddling with the radio, eating, drinking, adjusting mirrors, putting on makeup, reading newspapers and books (have seen it frequently on I-5 between Olympia and Vancouver, WA), etc. are all causes of distracted driving. Some people handle them better than others and the metric should be when someone is driving erratically. Distracted driving laws are already on the books. Just enforce them; no need for more piles of regulation.

That said, it irritates the **** out of me when I hear about "seatbelt enforcement patrols" around here when the cops refuse to come out when a car is broken into and things are stolen, including the car. Too busy for auto theft, plenty of time for seat belt tickets.
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think it should be done with a court order

^^^^^^^^ They already do this. However, there are many other ways to send messages without resorting to a SMS (text) message. Think of Facebook, Messenger, etc. that use the data connection. There is no traceability in this case since they are just data packets. You can look in the Packet Data Gateway and see what type of packets were flowing from a device (the PDG supports deep packet inspection for the purposes of QoS), but even then, it would be hard to prove that they were actually doing anything since a lot of apps are "chatty" over the data connection.

I've learned that I can't stop others from being stupid and that the world is full of stupid people. You just have to keep an eye out for stupid people and do what you can to avoid them... talk to anyone who's ridden a motorcycle for more than a few miles. You ALWAYS plan an escape path.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)
'14 Yamaha FJR - 0-60 in 2.8s w/ 34MPG!!!

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my largest concern with this issue is that I've NEVER texted while driving, occasionally talked on the phone while driving ... yet : my wife manages MY phone while I drive, does GPS, plays on facebook, & occasionally texts. Especially if the text is to me, & needs a reply. So if I'm hit, I am worried that I would be guilty by association.
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2016 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

I disagree. I was personally in a single car accident (my Triumph TR7) back in 1990 where I slid off the road into a fence. It wasn't a rollover...just a car sliding sideways into a fence but it still took fire crews 2 hours to get me out of the car. My feet were pinned by the pedals to the center tunnel and everything they tried just put more pressure on my feet rather than free me up. It isn't always straight forward to get someone out...depends where the limbs fly and the metal parts bend.

Your old TR7 is not todays vehicle... now read the o/p and it was a simple roll over on the road.. things like this all doors open...
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2016 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by lorennerol:

That said, it irritates the **** out of me when I hear about "seatbelt enforcement patrols" around here when the cops refuse to come out when a car is broken into and things are stolen, including the car. Too busy for auto theft, plenty of time for seat belt tickets.

They do the same for texting, the person begging at lights are under cover cops and they pull you over down the road...

you see "enforcement patrols" like this both earn you insurance points... someone is getting kick backs for this.. someone needs to follow the money..
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your old TR7 is not todays vehicle... now read the o/p and it was a simple roll over on the road.. things like this all doors open...

I find it interesting how much you think you know about this incident in that you were not in attendance.

------------------
Ron

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2016 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Right, and with 10 airbags and crumple zones, it obviously must be easier to do, especially on a 5-6000 lbs SUV. Your "simple rollover" is not so simple in fact.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think everyone needs a beer !!!
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

robert1234

461 posts
Member since Oct 2015
Hey, how come I don't have a member rating ? LOL
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

Hey, how come I don't have a member rating ? LOL

Well unless a vendor selling stuff you won't really get one.
Richjk21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

Well unless a vendor selling stuff you won't really get one.

Don't confuse member rating, and feedback score..... 2 entirely different things.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2016 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I find it interesting how much you think you know about this incident in that you were not in attendance.

I know what todays vehicles have to pass to be allowed on the roads.. and it takes a nasty hard roll, most times multi roll to have the doors not open..
never mind the 30 frigg'n air bags that put you in a bubble of air from the front and side..
I find it interesting that you say it took 2 hours, but didn't stick around..
Hay, if the driver was texting they got what they had coming, I just hope no one else was in the SUV..
For someone so bent on the texting issue you'd think you'd have at least got a photo of the wreck
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know what todays vehicles have to pass to be allowed on the roads.. and it takes a nasty hard roll, most times multi roll to have the doors not open..
never mind the 30 frigg'n air bags that put you in a bubble of air from the front and side..
I find it interesting that you say it took 2 hours, but didn't stick around..
Hay, if the driver was texting they got what they had coming, I just hope no one else was in the SUV..
For someone so bent on the texting issue you'd think you'd have at least got a photo of the wreck

I guess you missed the part where I clearly stated this occurred behind me?
Hmmmm.....

------------------
Ron

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2016 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Right, and with 10 airbags and crumple zones, it obviously must be easier to do, especially on a 5-6000 lbs SUV. Your "simple rollover" is not so simple in fact.

tell me, (can't wait for this) how crumple zones would make it harder to get a person out?? as they take all the energy from the hit/roll not the passage area...
and the air bags only help keep even a person without the seatbelt on, in place in the vehicle in a roll..
the weight really doesn't matter if you go up a ramp with only the wheel of one side of the vehicle.. a 1900 lb car will roll..

and by simple roll over, I mean the vehicle didn't hit a barrier or another vehicle then roll.. it ran up a ramp and rolled.. more than likely from the wheel on ramp turning as it hit the ramp..
in any vehicle make in the last 20 year to not open the doors, that vehicle would've had to hit that auto transporter at a high speed like a a highway wreck in the t.v. show "C.H.I.P'S" a roll at 30-35mph isn't getting it air born to get enough steam to crush the pillars or/and roof .. it be a roll and slide to a stop..
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2016 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

I guess you missed the part where I clearly stated this occurred behind me?
Hmmmm.....

yet you know without a doubt he/she was texting at the time of the wreck... interesting...

I text at red lights.. then stop.... and never seem to not notice the light change..

but you know without a doubt that it was texting,, maybe,just maybe the person was try'n to dial 911 because they were having chest pains.. and why it took 2 hours.. just guessing,, like well you.. or maybe using mapquest/etc and entering what street they where at..

but but wait,, we need to go with the scape goat.. "texting" .

I wonder how these same type wrecks ever happened before the cell phones with texting feature.. I know darn facts..

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 04-20-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2016 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yet you know without a doubt he/she was texting at the time of the wreck... interesting...

I text at red lights.. then stop.... and never seem to not notice the light change..

but you know without a doubt that it was texting,, maybe,just maybe the person was try'n to dial 911 because they were having chest pains.. and why it took 2 hours.. just guessing,, like well you.. or maybe using mapquest/etc and entering what street they where at..

but but wait,, we need to go with the scape goat.. "texting" .

I wonder how these same type wrecks ever happened before the cell phones with texting feature.. I know darn facts..

Pretty easy to tell when theyre texting...or reading/watching their phone. There head is down looking into their lap for minutes at a time, or they are actually holding the phone up in front of their face. Then you have they cant stay in their lane, and cant drive a constant speed.

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had a similar wreck happen on my corner, a jeep ran up the back of a Cavalier and rolled on it's side. It took them roughly 2hrs to get the driver out give or take a few minutes. The Jeep had minimal damage in the front since it was high enough that the car acted as a ramp. He was taken away on a stretcher.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock