Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Vertical Doors Inc. Bolt on kit (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Vertical Doors Inc. Bolt on kit by Marcopolo
Started on: 04-17-2016 09:50 AM
Replies: 48 (2487 views)
Last post by: AustinH on 10-23-2017 07:25 PM
Marcopolo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarcopoloClick Here to visit Marcopolo's HomePageSend a Private Message to MarcopoloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well from my last thread I heard there was a lot of controversy on vertical door kits. I bought this kit maybe a month ago, and I recently installed one of the doors, for aligning and trimming. I took my grand ol time on it because I wanted it perfect, next week I'll have the driver door aligned and "perfect" Ill post pictures here of the kit and all it includes and what I needed to do to make it work.

Fully greasable hinges

Plates to attach the door to the hinge

Gas struts

Overall very solid hinges

I found it hardest to attach the hinge to the car first, I recommend the door first, It's much easier to thread the bolts in than reaching inside the door with 2 fingers while your friend holds the door! But basically you just bolt it right on. I skipped the factory hinge removal process on here, but if anyone wants to see it, ill definitely add to it.

Door harness is long enough to reach with the door open, on the passenger side at least. No excessive tugging on any connectors, so I might get a new grommet and keep it like this.

Harness with the door fully swung out.

So finished and aligned product

I will post pictures on here for my last step, and thats to trim the inside lip of the fender.

Many people were saying they arent truly bolt on with no modification. Well all that it needs is a fender trimming on my car, so i'm not sure what "true bolt on" entails.

I'm happy with it.

------------------
Marco

[This message has been edited by Marcopolo (edited 04-17-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SWEET!
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same hinge set, purchased from V8 Archie several years ago... as I understand he worked with VDI to get the design of the hinges to fit the Fiero properly.
I have been very happy with the fit and quality of these hinges and they have held up very well for several years.

Not a big deal.... I would turn the lower nut/bolt around on the lower frame mount, just looks better..

------------------
88 GT
Choptop, Vertical Door Hinges
Lowered Suspension w/ 13" Brake Disk
CarPC - WinXP Pro (GT Sport Edition)
+ a lot more.....

Marcopolo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarcopoloClick Here to visit Marcopolo's HomePageSend a Private Message to MarcopoloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Orig88GT-NC:

I have the same hinge set, purchased from V8 Archie several years ago... as I understand he worked with VDI to get the design of the hinges to fit the Fiero properly.
I have been very happy with the fit and quality of these hinges and they have held up very well for several years.

Not a big deal.... I would turn the lower nut/bolt around on the lower frame mount, just looks better..

That would make sense. I heard VDI redesigned the hinges just a few years back. Someone purchased the hinges in 2014 and the hinges did not have the lower offset to account for the difference in the frame.

------------------
Marco

Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think the VDI instructions mention this but the front fenders will need to be trimmed a bit to allow the hinge to swing outward.
check this link...PFF: Vertical door hinge install. help with wires.)

Hope this is helpful

Sorry, I missed that you already knew that the fender needed to be trimmed........

Originally posted by Marcopolo:
I will post pictures on here for my last step, and thats to trim the inside lip of the fender.
Many people were saying they arent truly bolt on with no modification. Well all that it needs is a fender trimming on my car, so i'm not sure what "true bolt on" entails.

edit for ignorance

[This message has been edited by Orig88GT-NC (edited 04-17-2016).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is why I posted that comment in your original thread. People have commented that there is no true bolt-on kit on the market so I'm glad you made this thread. It appears that they added the thick steel block on the bottom mounting point to correct the offset that the hinges need.

Just for the hell of it for the next guy, is there a part number on that box that you can post?

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-17-2016).]

Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2016 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, they had to add blocks/stand-offs to fit the contour of the fieros door frame. The also had to change the bracket that attached to the door. V8 Archie posted several videos to YouTube about the hinges and the original design problems and what he and his team had to do to redesign them, including cutting the door attaching bracket and swapping & flipping them from left to right. Interesting vids.... V8 Archie
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks very nice!

Any idea what those struts are rate for? (How many lbs.)
I had a kit awhile back and I needed to get beefier struts- the original ones failed.

Have a good one

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's very nice to know that a bolt-on kit is available on the market. It's not cheap, but it looks very solid and well made and should last the life of the car.
ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you show pictures of any modifications you had to make? To the body, frame or to the actual unit?
Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlgt88: Can you show pictures of any modifications you had to make? To the body, frame or to the actual unit?

No, mods to the frame or the unit are needed. The wiring to the door would normally need to be extended and the inside edges of the front fenders need a notch cut to allow room for hinge arm to swing(this is not noticable from the outside).
Take a look at this thread for pics/details..PFF: Vertical door hinge install...)

jscott1 , No not the cheapest, but they do fit properly and are made well, I just took a quick look at their web site, found they do offer coupons, currently 10%off, 100$ off aint bad.
PFF
System Bot
Marcopolo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarcopoloClick Here to visit Marcopolo's HomePageSend a Private Message to MarcopoloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll post the part number after work. On almost every part there was printed "VHS PON FER" So I felt it was pretty much made specifically for the Fiero

------------------
Marco

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So how much was the kit?

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD(2002), Gen V, 3.3 pulley, SD headers

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

So how much was the kit?

Model: VDCPONFER8488
Manufactured by: Vertical Doors, Inc.

$1,095.00

http://verticaldoors.com/in..._490&products_id=568

Weird but I found them cheaper from an authorized dealer

VERTICAL DOORS® - Door Designs Information

Vertical Doors Authorized Dealer
$795.00 more details on - http://www.carid.com/1988-p...on-kit-26929906.html

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-20-2016).]

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds too good to be true, but several eBay sellers offer this kit, advertised as VDI brand, for $795 or best offer. I'm verrrrrry tempted, now... Everything seems to match. The "part number", boxes pictured are clearly labeled as VDI, etc.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know the full back story, but not too long ago it was not possible to buy the bolt-on kit for the Fiero, so there was a group buy or two and people were able to get some that were custom modified to fit the Fiero. I'm just guessing, but it appears that enough people bought them for the Fiero that VDI added the Fiero pattern to their inventory. Being able to buy a bolt-on kit for $800 or so is a significant savings to the custom kits that some of us bought back in the day.
Marcopolo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarcopoloClick Here to visit Marcopolo's HomePageSend a Private Message to MarcopoloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Sounds too good to be true, but several eBay sellers offer this kit, advertised as VDI brand, for $795 or best offer. I'm verrrrrry tempted, now... Everything seems to match. The "part number", boxes pictured are clearly labeled as VDI, etc.

I'm gonna admit... this is the kit off ebay. But it has the VD name all over it... The seller was Vertical Doors Inc. Not sure why it's cheaper on eBay? But this kit is definitely the real deal. Lifetime warranty!

------------------
Marco

Marcopolo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarcopoloClick Here to visit Marcopolo's HomePageSend a Private Message to MarcopoloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Marcopolo

50 posts
Member since Apr 2016

Originally posted by jscott1:

I don't know the full back story, but not too long ago it was not possible to buy the bolt-on kit for the Fiero, so there was a group buy or two and people were able to get some that were custom modified to fit the Fiero. I'm just guessing, but it appears that enough people bought them for the Fiero that VDI added the Fiero pattern to their inventory. Being able to buy a bolt-on kit for $800 or so is a significant savings to the custom kits that some of us bought back in the day.

Must have gotten a fresh kit

------------------
Marco

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sure am considering these. Hmm.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up!! I did want to ask, though. Is it required to remove the front fender to install this kit, or did you just happen to have yours off anyway? Secondly, what kind of effort is there to raise the door from inside of the car?

Originally posted by Marcopolo:

I'm gonna admit... this is the kit off ebay. But it has the VD name all over it... The seller was Vertical Doors Inc. Not sure why it's cheaper on eBay? But this kit is definitely the real deal. Lifetime warranty!

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You posted about someone holding the door to bolt the hinges on.
In their video they leave the door closed, remove the front fender and bolt the hinges on with the door in place.
That is a different car that is in the video but doesn`t the same work for the Fiero?
PFF
System Bot
Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:
You posted about someone holding the door to bolt the hinges on.
In their video they leave the door closed, remove the front fender and bolt the hinges on with the door in place.
That is a different car that is in the video but doesn`t the same work for the Fiero?

I installed mine with the door closed. I did remove the outer door skin for easier access to the mount bolts and the fenders will need to be off to install.
With the door closed, I took alot of measments noting the gaps all around, offset from the rocker, offset from the top edge(by the A-pillar& back edge above the latch). I used wood wedges along the door sill to hold the door up and locked in position before I removed the stock hinges

Marcopolo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarcopoloClick Here to visit Marcopolo's HomePageSend a Private Message to MarcopoloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the heads up!! I did want to ask, though. Is it required to remove the front fender to install this kit, or did you just happen to have yours off anyway? Secondly, what kind of effort is there to raise the door from inside of the car?

The fender needs to come off because the half moon shape of the hinge sits behind it. Also trimming of the fender is required so you might as well remove the fenders. the front bumper is way out of alignment as well as the hood so I had everything apart at once.

I heard about wedging the door and installing the hinges with the door in place. I might try that for the driver side. It seems smarter. I had to align this side from scratch... not fun.

------------------
Marco

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Orig88GT-NC:

I installed mine with the door closed. I did remove the outer door skin for easier access to the mount bolts and the fenders will need to be off to install.
With the door closed, I took alot of measments noting the gaps all around, offset from the rocker, offset from the top edge(by the A-pillar& back edge above the latch). I used wood wedges along the door sill to hold the door up and locked in position before I removed the stock hinges

Thanks, sounds good.
Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this video, I made a while back, just after I put the VDI hinges on the car.
just a quick demo of the operation.

lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm, this would save me from replacing the worn-out driver's side hinges...
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I'm guessing that this is a limiter setscrew where you can tweak how far the door opens outward? In other words, you can adjust the door to just barely open in the normal position to where you have to squeeze out of the car but the doors will be more vertical when raised? If you unscrew the adjuster, the doors will open almost as wide as stock but will be leaning outwards once in the vertical position?
Ogzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OgzySend a Private Message to OgzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to do something like this so that I could get in and out easier between cars and clear curbs. But I’m worried about it not being stable enough. I saw a few videos on YouTube showing some vertical doors wobbling excessively and the body panels wouldn’t line up correctly. They were explaining that the door skin isn’t strong enough. They also showed the hinges had bent a little. I don’t want something that I need to be super delicate with. Did any of you have these same problems?
Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
So I'm guessing that this is a limiter setscrew where you can tweak how far the door opens outward? In other words, you can adjust the door to just barely open in the normal position to where you have to squeeze out of the car but the doors will be more vertical when raised? If you unscrew the adjuster, the doors will open almost as wide as stock but will be leaning outwards once in the vertical position?

Yes, the set screw does set the outward swing. Unscrewing the screw to much would allow the door to wobble around when raised. You should adjust this to just allow the hinge arm to clear the Stud(Green Block) when rising. The stud keeps the door from lifting before it is swung outward.

(reused your pic)
Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Orig88GT-NC

209 posts
Member since Oct 2010

Originally posted by Ogzy:
I wanted to do something like this so that I could get in and out easier between cars and clear curbs. But I’m worried about it not being stable enough. I saw a few videos on YouTube showing some vertical doors wobbling excessively and the body panels wouldn’t line up correctly. They were explaining that the door skin isn’t strong enough. They also showed the hinges had bent a little. I don’t want something that I need to be super delicate with. Did any of you have these same problems?

I've seen those issues also with other hinges. There is very little play/wobble in these... Very beefy metal used in these hinges, and I've got NO flex in the door frame metal. There are alot of areas of adjustment with this install, so my door panels are perfectly lined up.... probably better then were before I started...

As far as curbs, you'll still have to watch for them.... the doors do have to swing outward a foot or so before they will go up.

viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you don't mind me asking, which seller did you choose, and how fast did they deliver? I'm seeing an estimated 4 weeks for delivery.
PFF
System Bot
Marcopolo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarcopoloClick Here to visit Marcopolo's HomePageSend a Private Message to MarcopoloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you don't mind me asking, which seller did you choose, and how fast did they deliver? I'm seeing an estimated 4 weeks for delivery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ver...AOxyJ-FRlHQ8&vxp=mtr

The delivery time is increased because the order needs to be sent to the company to me made in USA, then shipping. Mine showed up in 2.5 weeks.

------------------
Marco

viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your help! I've submitted an eBay offer, let's hope I can see new hinges on my '86 GT soon!
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2016 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an update for those of you wishing you had lambo style doors. The EBay sellers of this brand of hinges all accept "best offers" and the lowest current kit is offered at $795. Full retail from vertical doors Inc. is around $1,100 or $1,200. I was able to buy this kit via offer for less than $795, definitely worth making an offer if you've considered installing these! Plus, VDI builds these hinges to order, it doesn't appear that there is any "back stock" in case you fear buying an older set that isn't so easy to install!
Cheers!
Marcopolo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarcopoloClick Here to visit Marcopolo's HomePageSend a Private Message to MarcopoloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just an update for those of you wishing you had lambo style doors. The EBay sellers of this brand of hinges all accept "best offers" and the lowest current kit is offered at $795. Full retail from vertical doors Inc. is around $1,100 or $1,200. I was able to buy this kit via offer for less than $795, definitely worth making an offer if you've considered installing these! Plus, VDI builds these hinges to order, it doesn't appear that there is any "back stock" in case you fear buying an older set that isn't so easy to install!
Cheers!

Wish I knew that a month ago... but thanks for the update!

------------------
Marco

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You probably most definately want to pull both outer and inner door skins off to install these hinges.
The small plates go on the inside of the door and if you install the hinges with the doors shimmed and taped into place you would have to lay across the seats
to install the plates and bolts.
Plus, up top you would have to contend with the pod where the ac vent sticks out on the dash next to the door.
With outer skins off it should be fairly easy to gain access to the front part of the door.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://youtu.be/5sCNO7IpZLg Archie did mine,..good kit.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First one on.
Talk about easy to install.
Plus, they fit great.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXGOOD

5410 posts
Member since Feb 2006
I did find out messing around with the fender today that I will have to cut the end of the belt moulding off because it hits.
It`s mainly because there is more of an outer travel with these hinges compared to the stock ones which just pivot right at the pin.
Fortunately, the gas strut just misses my fender vents because I was worried about those getting in the way.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got mine done.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 06-06-2016).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay