Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How long did itbtake for everyone to conplete the 3800sc swap for their first time?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How long did itbtake for everyone to conplete the 3800sc swap for their first time? by Ryanap333
Started on: 04-15-2016 09:21 PM
Replies: 4 (383 views)
Last post by: Curtisk1060 on 04-16-2016 11:33 AM
Ryanap333

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2016 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ryanap333Send a Private Message to Ryanap333Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine started in june 2015. Ive yet to complete it. I got to drop the engine one more time and then workout whats left when its back in.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2016 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took me a solid year, that's sourcing the engine and everything. I finished it when I was 17, while working and having no money haha. If I can do it, you can. Goodluck!

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2016 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
about a week.....
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2016 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A week and a half to finish the install.
A problem with a purchased wiring harness took a while to troubleshoot, adding another week before it ran properly.
Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2016 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done two of them but with the help of my brother who is a master mechanic and has a four post car lift and wirefeed and TIG welders. I built the harnesses myself which took about a week each as I was very methodical and double checked everything. Getting parts, replacing manifold gaskets, sensors, fitting up the exhaust took about another two weeks or so. My biggest time/frustration of the entire swaps were securing the passenger side correct axle lengths. It took many trips to a pull and pay yard and a machine shop on my second one (87GT) to get it right. My suggestion is to test fit the axles while the engine is on the ground before final installation in the car. Note the strut angles, etc. before tearing the original apart and you can get the new ones close if not perfect before re-installing. Also, be sure to insulate as much of the exhaust you can and also test fit the exhaust and muffler installation as much as possible on the ground. With the four post lift we were easily able to raise and lower the car as needed to test fit all the components making it easier and faster. We secured the front end of the cars and hung the rearend over the end and used a heavy duty metal a fgrame to hold the chassis under the car. The whole process took about one month after probably another month of a lot of planning and securing of parts. I used west coast Fiero for the mounts, lower alt. bracket, tensioner, etc. for my 88GT, and Fierorog's same parts for my sons 87GT. I have no problems with either, it was just a timing thing for what was available when I did the swaps. Getting each of the A/C swaps done also took some time and forward planning to secure the correct hoses, etc. but they both work well and were worth the effort. Both vehicles were done with the 4T65EHD automatic transmissions. I had the PCM's done by sinister performance, Ryan is very good and reliable, he will answer all of your questions. I love having the performance shift option just in case you need to use it... Both vehicles get about 20 MPG average unless you stay in the throttle too much, but for basically double the HP over the 2.8 and to achieve the same or maybe slightly better MPG it is so worth it. They are a blast to drive. Curtis

[This message has been edited by Curtisk1060 (edited 04-16-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock