Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Severl years away from the fieros.. now I'm back.. was it a mistake? Lol

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Severl years away from the fieros.. now I'm back.. was it a mistake? Lol by jessesmith121
Started on: 04-10-2016 03:14 PM
Replies: 9 (265 views)
Last post by: ltlfrari on 04-11-2016 10:33 AM
jessesmith121

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well my ex wife made me ditch my last fiero... a super sweet 86 gt with all the trimmings. Now a year after my divorce I picked up a 87 gt 5 speed. The interior is sweet and it's in great shape. The PO said it stopped running on the highway. So I'm chasing that down. It's been a Pain in the ass so far. Next in changing computers and checking Valve lash and ensuring I'm timed TDC with cylinder #1. I just want to drive this beast... I guess it will make it all worth it in the end, right?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes just the divorce alone makes everything worth it......and better.
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know why divorce is so expensive?......... Cuz it's worth it...lol
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jessesmith121:

The PO said it stopped running on the highway. So I'm chasing that down. It's been a Pain in the ass so far. Next in changing computers and checking Valve lash and ensuring I'm timed TDC with cylinder #1.

I don't know what the symptoms are with your GT or what you've checked, but do you have spark? It's not uncommon for the ICM to fail.
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I don't know what the symptoms are with your GT or what you've checked, but do you have spark? It's not uncommon for the ICM to fail.

I've replaced the distributor and all the stuff with it.. and the coil.. im going to ensure I'm TDC with cylinder 1 next. Then the computer, then inspect valve lash...
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spark, fuel, timing then the rest. I have seen new modules not working. Doubt it is ECM. Check the basics first. If PO is correct then it should be module, pick-up coil or fuel pump. Good luck!
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has to be with spark or timing. It won't fire with starting fluid either.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jessesmith121:

I've replaced the distributor and all the stuff with it.. and the coil.. im going to ensure I'm TDC with cylinder 1 next. Then the computer, then inspect valve lash...

Valve lash needing adjustment isn't going to prevent the engine from starting.

Make sure you're on TDC of #1 on the compression stroke... and don't assume the timing mark on your balancer is correct. The outer hub can spin when the balancer starts to fail.
IMSA/GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA/GTSend a Private Message to IMSA/GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine quit on the highway too. Found that a cracked crossover pipe overheated the ICM. Once it cooled down then the car would start normal again. Replaced the xover pipe and no problems since.

[This message has been edited by IMSA/GT (edited 04-10-2016).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2016 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to say ignition module but since you've replaced the dizzy I guess you replaced that as well.
Are you getting a spark at all? Pull plug and rest on engine while turning over.

If not then any power to coils, ignition module. If I remember correctly, it 'should' at least spark even without an ecm because it should be in bypass mode until around 400 rpm at t which point the computer/im takes over.
Fuses?

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock