Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Returning from my Fiero sabbatical, now what?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Returning from my Fiero sabbatical, now what? by 85_Fiero_2M4
Started on: 04-10-2016 01:59 PM
Replies: 7 (281 views)
Last post by: CavScout on 04-23-2016 07:12 PM
85_Fiero_2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 85_Fiero_2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 1988 4cyl was having some compression issues about 4 years ago. I originally planned on doing a LT1 swap, then decided on a 3800SC because it seemed easier and cheaper. Then I decided to buy a house instead.

The car has been covered up and parked on cement for a while now. I start it occasionally, but I have a feeling it's time to get her going again. I'm trying to decide on what to do with it. At this point I really don't want to do a v8 or a 3800 swap. I would just like to have a car that I can enjoy on weekends. I'm hoping to buy a Trans Am this summer so that can be my "fast car".

But I have to do something with the Fiero, because sitting isn't helping anything. It's a 125k mile CJB ttop car, with Mr Mikes seats, spoiler, formula/gt wheels, so it's worth keeping. I'm considering rebuilding/replacing the 2.5l or preferably putting a 2.8l in there instead....maybe the 3.4. I think those options would be easier and more affordable to do than something totally custom.

What's your opinion? Does anyone know of any 2.8L engines for sale close to Buffalo NY? Ay feedback or opinions would be appreciated.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3.4/4T60 is a sweet combination......
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85_Fiero_2M4:

I'm considering rebuilding/replacing the 2.5l or preferably putting a 2.8l in there instead....maybe the 3.4

I wouldn't waste the money rebuilding a duke. A 3.4 from a Camaro, especially if you have a manual tranny, would give your Fiero a nice boost with plenty of pep... and it's one of the simpler swaps.
85_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2016 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 85_Fiero_2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys are right about the 3.4. That's probably what I should go with.
My car is an automatic right now. Is the 4T60 a hard swap? I'm assuming I would just need a computer out of a v6 auto car, right?
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing the 4T60 needs from a computer is a signal to lock the TCC... other than that it's still cable and vacuum controlled. So yes, it could work with a stock Fiero automatic ECM, but requires adapting the VSS signal and inverting the TCC signal (the TCC works differently in the 4T60 than it does in the 125C).

The swap is a bit more involved with an '88 because the location for the rear trans mount slopes up differently where normally another slotted hole is made on the pre-88 cradle...

Pre-88

This is what has kept me from looking at the 4T60 swap over the years (especially when I really wanted a manual anyway).

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 04-11-2016).]

CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2016 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you post when you're ready to begin a swap. I'd be happy to help, but have never done it. (Yes looking for free experience LOL)
85_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 85_Fiero_2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, thanks for the input. If everything goes as planned, I will have a low mileage 88 v6 drivetrain. Which should be a easy swap. For the price, I couldn't say no. I just lucked out on this one haha.

It feels good to be back in the Fiero world after being gone for years.

Originally posted by CavScout:

Make sure you post when you're ready to begin a swap. I'd be happy to help, but have never done it. (Yes looking for free experience LOL)

Actually, I plan of having a mechanic friend do most of it. He has the right tools and skills to get it done quickly. I might be doing some of the work also, and your welcome to lend a hand too!

CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85_Fiero_2M4:
Actually, I plan of having a mechanic friend do most of it. He has the right tools and skills to get it done quickly. I might be doing some of the work also, and your welcome to lend a hand too!

It's always good to have a mechanic friend!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock