Started on: 04-06-2016 10:06 AM
Replies: 14 (426 views)
Last post by: Marcopolo on 04-14-2016 01:33 AM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got my new Kicker 8" sub and 300 watt power amp in yesterday.
It sounds pretty good even though it`s just mounted on the plywood and tucked into the footwell.
I may fiberglass an enclosure to follow the contour of the carpet if I don`t get enough punch out of it.
I just need to add carpet and it will be done.
It only takes up about 5-6 inches of the passenger floor area.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 04-06-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like maybe a 10" would fit?
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Looks like maybe a 10" would fit?

Possibly, but where I have it the floor starts slanting up right behind that plywood and I didn`t want to come out past the footrest that`s on the right.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2016 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got the carpet on the plywood and got it remounted along with my Lloyds mats that came in today.
I have to glue a little strip of carpet near the bottom because it unraveled a bit.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 04-08-2016).]

bkw88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2016 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 10" MTX6000 SUB in the spot. Fits very nice. And has killer bottom end. The only problem is getting enough air space for the sub to respond right. I need about 1.5 cudbic feet of air space. Only have half that. Poly fill in the box solved issue. Have enough power to pop the lactch on the sunroof!!!
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2016 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bkw88:

Have enough power to pop the lactch on the sunroof!!!

That's not to hard to do...

Put back together and you can't even tell it's there.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2016 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a 10" MTX6000 SUB in the spot. Fits very nice. And has killer bottom end. The only problem is getting enough air space for the sub to respond right. I need about 1.5 cudbic feet of air space. Only have half that. Poly fill in the box solved issue. Have enough power to pop the lactch on the sunroof!!!

I don't know a lot about woofers, wouldn't poly fill in a box remove air space?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2016 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

Well, I got the carpet on the plywood and got it remounted along with my Lloyds mats that came in today.
I have to glue a little strip of carpet near the bottom because it unraveled a bit.

Is that actual Fiero carpet you wrapped it with? It matches well.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2016 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is that actual Fiero carpet you wrapped it with? It matches well.

No, its called Gunmetal from the local upholstery shop.
It sort of has the salt and pepper look because of the lighting but from what I understand you can only get solid carpet these days.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 04-11-2016).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2016 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXGOOD

5410 posts
Member since Feb 2006

Mine doesn`t have the punch that I really need.
Mainly because the sub is just mounted on the plywood and just backs up to the carpeted floor.
I may eventually build a box that fits the contour of where it goes, but for right now I will be concentrating on getting a new nose on my car.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2016 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know a lot about woofers, wouldn't poly fill in a box remove air space?

I don't remember why but it "fools" the woofer into acting like it's in a larger enclosure than it actually is. So say you have a 1 cubic foot sealed enclosure. If you add 1 lb of poly fill the woofer will respond like the enclosure is 1.25 cubic feet. There is a diminishing return on that though. You can't put 10 lbs of poly fill in so the woofer responds like it's in a 2.5 cubic foot enclosure. I don't recall if there is a formula for how much poly fill to use or of it's just trial and error but it's been many long years since I was that into car audio. I'm still in to it, just not on the wanting to be an installer level anymore. My certification for installing is 20+ years old now. Another advantage to poly fill is it can reduce port noise in vented enclosures. It's not uncommon for transmission line enclosure to have the last 1/4 length (or possibly more) of the transmission line loose packed with poly fill.

The install I did in my Fiero though, I didn't use poly fill in. I never used a sensor to see just how hot it got in there to see if I thought it could be used but it sounded so good I didn't feel a need to try. I did use rubberized undercoating spray to deaden the firewall. The 12" sub I had in our Mazda I did use poly fill in and this weekend I'll be adding some to the new enclosure with the Boston Acoustics 10's to gauge if any difference is noticeable. While I was doing the sub/amp exchange on the Mazda I also installed sound deadening mat. It helped with the panel vibration noise greatly but now I need to pull the external 3rd brake light from the spoiler and put some on it. That's the only rattle I have left from the subs back there that is kind of annoying if your outside of the vehicle. This is pretty dirty, I need to pull the acrylic and clean along with vacuuming it all but this is what I changed on the Mazda.

The old:

The new, but uncleaned:

After I try the poly fill for comparison I'll be doing the cleaning and final touches on it. I like to "set it and forget it" with my EQ so I don't put them in the dash. I did that once and hated how often I had to reset it from friends and family messing with it.
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2016 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Khw

11139 posts
Member since Jun 2008

Originally posted by TXGOOD:
I may eventually build a box that fits the contour of where it goes, but for right now I will be concentrating on getting a new nose on my car.

I can totally understand that. Hope you don't have to much trouble getting it fixed up and pretty again TXGOOD.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2016 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5: I don't know a lot about woofers, wouldn't poly fill in a box remove air space?

The fill material slows down the propagation of the pressure waves in the box, so in essence it behaves like a larger box. It also helps to reduce standing waves in the box, which is good because standing waves can adversely affect sound quality.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-12-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2016 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I don't remember why but it "fools" the woofer into acting like it's in a larger enclosure than it actually is. ..

Originally posted by Blacktree:

The fill material slows down the propagation of the pressure waves in the box, so in essence it behaves like a larger box. It also helps to reduce standing waves in the box, which is good because standing waves can adversely affect sound quality.

Cool, I have seen the fill, I think I had a box that came with some, I put it in but really didnt know how or why it worked.

Marcopolo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2016 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarcopoloClick Here to visit Marcopolo's HomePageSend a Private Message to MarcopoloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see some people going that route. I molded the floor with fiber glass and built a box that is almost finished just needs matching 801 carpeting.

------------------
Marco

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock