Started on: 04-01-2016 07:36 PM
Replies: 8 (255 views)
Last post by: Custom2M4 on 04-04-2016 11:16 PM
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simply put,
What would be the easiest trans to replace my 282 in a non modded stock 87 gt.
The car is a DD with no abuse inflicted on it.
I am just totally wanting to get away from this tranny..

Would like to have a trans that would be an easy swap without putting another one of these 30 + year old trans back in as a replacement.....
Any thoughts..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am pretty fond of my New Venture T-550 (~93 Chevy Beretta - an evolution of the 282 Getrag.)
It has a sturdier diff, a hydraulic release bearing, and no slave.
The down side is that it has the later, magnetic VSS. Probably requires the Dakota Digital adapter or swapping the gear on the output shaft. (Any later trans will have this issue, though.)
It requires the bare minimum of tweaking to adapt it and is, IMHO, a much better trans.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2016 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious, but why do you want a different trans than the 282 exactly? Is there something wrong with it?
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
went through a few over the years,I have one that went bad on my 87 and will have to replace it.
They are hard to come by localy and shipping one that may or may not be good just suxs..
I was thinking about a newer fwd getrag but want to swap whatever would be the easiest option I can find..

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2016 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easiest is getting a new one and having it rebuilt. What fluid are you putting in these trans?

------------------

fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2016 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what is the usual cost to rebuild?

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was about 300$ up here to have it torn apart and rebuilt with new seals etc. the Getreg 272 is a pretty good stock trans IMO, and would hesitate to put one in a stock car. I'm just not stock so I'm building an F23 trans for it. But it's not a plug and play swap.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

It was about 300$ up here to have it torn apart and rebuilt with new seals etc. the Getreg 272 is a pretty good stock trans IMO, and would hesitate to put one in a stock car. I'm just not stock so I'm building an F23 trans for it. But it's not a plug and play swap.

282?
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup that's exactly what I meant.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock