Started on: 03-29-2016 10:56 PM
Replies: 32 (642 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 04-01-2016 04:28 PM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have two sets of carpet, both in pretty good condition. One of the cars is going to the junkyard.

I have heard of people installing new carpet directly over the old stuff because it really keeps road noise down. Could a similar thing be done with two sets of stock carpet? Or is it more trouble than its worth?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be too thick. Your better off with sound proofing

------------------

Threedog

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

It would be too thick. Your better off with sound proofing

Yeahhhhhh but that costs money. I might just use some spray adhesive and cut up this carpet to use as sound proofing..
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you buy new carpet, it doesn't always come with jute backing. In that case, you're SUPPOSED to lay it on top of the old carpet.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have carpet over the top of old as old carpet is still excellent and you would never know. It is the way to go unless your working on losing weight.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:

So I have two sets of carpet, both in pretty good condition. One of the cars is going to the junkyard.

I have heard of people installing new carpet directly over the old stuff because it really keeps road noise down. Could a similar thing be done with two sets of stock carpet? Or is it more trouble than its worth?

I have never heard of this and can guarantee you that it wouldn't work, especially on a Fiero. Not counting the narrow area with tall sides, you would never be able to reinstall the seats or side carpet retainer trim among other things.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

I have carpet over the top of old as old carpet is still excellent and you would never know...

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

I have never heard of this and can guarantee you that it wouldn't work, especially on a Fiero...

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I still stand by what I said.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I still stand by what I said.

Of course!
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive put new carpet over original carpet before with no problems. My motorhome is really quiet because it has 3 layers of carpet....the original factory, a replacement, and I put a more durable and colorful one over that. I was thinking of putting a hardwood floor in it, but a friend has that and its really noisy.
fierogt455

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt455Send a Private Message to fierogt455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I changed the color of my interior and installed the new carpet over the old one. It has been 3 years without a problem.
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed new carpet over the old. The only problem I had was bolting the seats down. I really had to press very hard.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And some people wonder what the difference is between a $12500.00 Fiero and a $2500.00 one.

------------------
If sugar-coating is what you crave... Willy Wonka doesn't live here.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So... it can be done.

and Mr. Thunderstruck thinks it's a bad idea.

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have never heard of this and can guarantee you that it wouldn't work, especially on a Fiero.

Hmmmmm SO much for "Guarantees"

Originally posted by Australian:
I have carpet over the top of old as old carpet is still excellent and you would never know.

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
Ive put new carpet over original carpet before with no problems.

Originally posted by fierogt455:
I changed the color of my interior and installed the new carpet over the old one. It has been 3 years without a problem.

Originally posted by notwohorns:
I installed new carpet over the old. The only problem I had was bolting the seats down. I really had to press very hard.

And some people wonder what the difference is between a $12500.00 Fiero and a $2500.00 one.

Really now..... I have double layer carpet in my car, and it really cut down the road noise.... So now my car is only worth 20% of what it would be if it only had a single layer of carpet! LOL LOL LOL LOL... do you have ANY idea how stupid you sound?

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 03-30-2016).]

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed new carpet over the original last year - exactly the aftermarket carpet manufacturer (Automotive Interiors), Mr. Mikes, and many on this forum recommended.

http://www.mrmikes.com/fierocarpet.htm

Tight fit - but looks and works great. Only way to do it.

------------------
Tim
'87 GT
Med Red Metallic
85K miles
Bay City, MI

[This message has been edited by trivet (edited 03-31-2016).]

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning the double carpet thing on my car.

Besides, I really don't care how much my car is worth before or after the carpet.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess I learned something here.

I learned something that restorers of GTO's and Trans Ams would never do and I also learned that my room at the Econo Lodge in Carlisle isn't the only place that has carpet on top of carpet.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, I guess I learned something here.

I learned something that restorers of GTO's and Trans Ams would never do and I also learned that my room at the Econo Lodge in Carlisle isn't the only place that has carpet on top of carpet.

The issue is that the replacement carpet is not restoration quality and is not an exact replacement for the original.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

The issue is that the replacement carpet is not restoration quality and is not an exact replacement for the original.

Ahhhhhhhhh.......

Thanks, that explains a lot, I owe you one.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

And very few Fiero owners care about 'restoration'. You can't restore it to it's former glory when there was none in the first place...
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-31-2016 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
And very few Fiero owners care about 'restoration'. You can't restore it to it's former glory when there was none in the first place...

Certainly not when the parts aren't available.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

It would be too thick. ...

This. Do you guys remember how thick is a stock Fiero carpet? None of the aftermarket ones come close so that is why they can be laid over the stock ones. But in this case, if I understand correctly, the OP wants to put a stock carpet over a stock carpet. Could it be done? Yeah probably you could force it. But it will be a very (and probably not tasty) thick sandwich.

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 03-31-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

This. Do you guys remember how thick is a stock Fiero carpet? None of the aftermarket ones come close so that is why they can be laid over the stock ones. But in this case, if I understand correctly, the OP wants to put a stock carpet over a stock carpet. Could it be done? Yeah probably you could force it. But it will be a very (and probably not tasty) thick sandwich.

Thank you!
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

But in this case, if I understand correctly, the OP wants to put a stock carpet over a stock carpet. Could it be done? Yeah probably you could force it. But it will be a very (and probably not tasty) thick sandwich.

I would not do that. I would remove the old, in that case.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have stock carpet over stock carpet with OEM padding under the bottom carpet, and sound deadening material under it all... mounting the seat rails was a challenge as well as a few other areas, but it is doable.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 03-31-2016).]

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Double carpet is fine, but putting sound proofing material down (I realize it is more expensive) and then putting new carpet in would be better.

It's your car tho, so do what you can.
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Really now..... I have double layer carpet in my car, and it really cut down the road noise.... So now my car is only worth 20% of what it would be if it only had a single layer of carpet! LOL LOL LOL LOL... do you have ANY idea how stupid you sound?

Off topic... that color of blue looks AMAZING!!!! What is it and do you have any other shots of the car?

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
So now my car is only worth 20% of what it would be if it only had a single layer of carpet! LOL LOL LOL LOL... do you have ANY idea how stupid you sound?

John, you have a nice-looking car. I don't know what happened to the arrow trim. Send some of that sun my way.

That picture really shows the, um--contour of that vendor's quarter windows.

Thunderstruck is doing a different type of restoration. I've restored my Fiero to suit me. Some people don't like it--but it's MY car. My Fiero will never be worth $12,xxx. I'm OK with that. I didn't replace my speakers. I don't use the radio. The speakers are functional, in that they produce sound. Are they good? I don't know or care.

I remember a commercial with Dale Earnhardt, Jr and Michael Waltrip. I'm not sure what it was for, but Michael had a blue alternator, and Dale had a red one. They each thought their alternator was better. Michael said the blue alternator was better. Dale said that people like red better. Michael countered ”yes, people named Dale!” What's important in YOUR Fiero is what's important to YOU. Thunderstruck's restoration method isn't just about the carpet, or a few things. It's apparently about every single detail. More power to him. Is it worth more? Depends on the buyer.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_narf:
Off topic... that color of blue looks AMAZING!!!! What is it and do you have any other shots of the car?

Originally posted by tshark:
John, you have a nice-looking car. I don't know what happened to the arrow trim. Send some of that sun my way.
That picture really shows the, um--contour of that vendor's quarter windows.

Thanks! I have the trim I just had not put it on for that Photo. I as scurrying to get the car to Daytona last year up to the last minute, and a lot of stuff was not completed.

Lets not derail this thread too bad, you can get all the info on the color, paint job, and tons more photo's of the car in my build thread.

Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All you can do it try it. If it works then you have saved yourself some money on sound deadening material. I'd bet that the 30 year old carpet is no where near as thick as when it was new so it may work out. I've read on many replacement carpet sites that recommend to install over the old carpet. Let us know how it worked out and if you had any problem or fitnent issues.
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2016 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hay, give it a shot, what ya got to loose,, but just an FYI home depot/ true value/ lowes /ace have rubber roof underlayment with glue on one side.. it is used for the first few feet in areas that get snow/ice.. to keep the ice dams from the frozen gutters from getting under the roofing and leaking into the house.. IIIRC I paid 15 bucks a roll, 2 should do a car, I got 3 as I'm going to go all the way up the firewall and the front wall..
good luck..
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If someone wants the carpet like the original car, and you have double. Its an hour or two job to take one layer out. Its not like you modified anything. Thats like saying they wont buy a classic muscle car thats all stock and perfect...because it has Cragar wheels on it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock