need help identifying gauges by NEVERDONE
Started on: 03-23-2016 09:04 PM
Replies: 7 (325 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 03-24-2016 11:27 AM
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2016 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i took these off 2 different cars in salvage yards. One looks like just overlays and a simple plug and play. The other one has 2 wires coming off of it. I looked for some type of control box but someone had already ripped the interior apart. I want to put one of them in my sons car but I need to know who made the one with the wires to see if I can just buy the controller. Any info would help. Thanks in advance.Oh, and also, how do I put the mileage odometer to match my car?!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2016 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can remove the odometer very easily and either swap or reset them.

The 85mph unit is from a 4 cylinder. The tach would read incorrectly if installed in a V6. I dont know if the 84 pod is different but that may be the reason for the 2 wires?
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2016 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need an inverter to power the reverse flow gauges. Here is one on eBay.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2016 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the ones on the top are guages from Speedhut. I put ones in my car that look similar. I don't think they make them anymore. The ones in the second picture are EBay white guage faces.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2016 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Usually Speedhut puts their logo on their faces. Anyway, I agree. I have both Speedhut and white decal faces. The Speedhut ones have both power & a color control. They can be wired into the dimmer, also. There should also be an overlay for the AUX gauges.

The 85MPH overlays are not from a 4-cyl. They also had AUX gauges. The 4-cyl gauges had all the gauges built into that unit. SE's had the V-6 & an 85MPH cluster.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2016 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

The 85MPH overlays are not from a 4-cyl. They also had AUX gauges. The 4-cyl gauges had all the gauges built into that unit. SE's had the V-6 & an 85MPH cluster.

I made my analysis based upon the redline of the tach and the location of the oil pressure gauge at the bottom of the tach. 4 cylinders redline hash marks start at 4500 rpm. All V6 tachs start at 5500. The oil pressure gauge is in the tach on the 85GT and 85SE V6, but the tach redline is the giveaway. His 85 mph instrument pod is from a 4-cylinder. 4-cylinders never had auxiliary gauges, even the 86 and 87SE 4-cylinders had 85mph gauges with all gauges in the main pod.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-24-2016).]

NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2016 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK so the top pic is for a v6 and I need that universal power inverter.
And the second pic will plug right in to my son's 84.
Do I have that correct?!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2016 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The second one will plug into the 84. I'm not familiar with anything needing a power inverter so I can't answer the question about the first one. Generally the gauge pods are interchangeable, except the tach from the 4-cylinder will read 50% higher when installed in a V6 and the V6 tach will read 33% lower when installed in a 4-cylinder. You can swap out the tachs up to the 86 models. I believe they went to backlighted instruments in 87. Prior to that, I think they were all lighted by reflection to the front.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock