2002 Trans Am Tail Light Test Fit by retroman
Started on: 03-18-2016 11:58 PM
Replies: 25 (1658 views)
Last post by: busa_powered on 08-01-2016 11:40 AM
retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2016 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just thought I'd share this as it seems it hasn't been done before. I've been looking for ideas for replacement tail lights as GT ones are hard to find and while I still like them, I believe there are better options. I've floated the idea before of bringing the styling that the 4th gen Firebird stole back to the Fiero (You can read that here: //www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...5620&style=printable ), but at that time, I casually forgot that my bro-in-law actually has an '02 Trans Am he bought so he could do an interior and drivetrain swap into his '87 Camaro IROC. While most of the car's good bits have been claimed for his project (dash, engine, seats, etc.), I have complete and total access to the sheet metal and any other stuff he doesn't want including tail lights. This will allow me to do a lot of crude mock ups. I might try the nose cone next, but for right now, I'm happy to start making the lights a permanent fixture. I apologize I couldn't get a direct shot and that my car is covered in dust. I keep it in the hay shed on my in-laws farm. The tractor wouldn't start to move it out of the way. Lastly, the right tail light is missing. I don't know where it is currently, but I hope my bro-in-law still has it. Even still, I think I got a good mock up.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will also have to change the lights to the notchie version. I don't know how the number of bulbs compare, or the plugs themselves, but the lighting pattern is different.

I haven't measured, but are the widths the same?

You can easily change the Fierbird emblem on the center panel.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea , and it would look "right" installed. Looks like some major modifications are going to be required, but if it could be "simplified in anyway, it would be a great alternative, as these taillights are a LOT more plentiful than the GT's are.

Keep us updated - I like it!!!!!

------------------
Tim
'87 GT
Med Red Metallic
85K miles
Bay City, MI

retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

You will also have to change the lights to the notchie version. I don't know how the number of bulbs compare, or the plugs themselves, but the lighting pattern is different.

I haven't measured, but are the widths the same?

You can easily change the Fierbird emblem on the center panel.

Fiero has 8 bulbs per side including reverse and side marker lights. The Firebird has 4 bulbs. I assume the notchie has 4 as well?? I haven't measured yet either. I was just eye balling it, but the Firebird tails are maybe about 3/4" wider on each side. That's cool. I mean, who doesn't like bulged fenders? There's also the center gap that needs filled in and deck lid lock needs either shaved or moved to the TA location. It would also be nice to shave the Fiero side markers as they would look off with the Firebird ones already integrated into the tails. for changing the center panel, I guess I could do a Firebird-esque Pegasus and have Fiero GT written in the stock Trans Am script. Lastly, I've been thinking of a name for this mod. I call it Fierobird.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

retroman

470 posts
Member since Oct 2010
Sorry multiple posts due to slow internet connection. I got an error page a few times, but I guess it posted before I got the redirect.

[This message has been edited by retroman (edited 03-19-2016).]

retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

retroman

470 posts
Member since Oct 2010
Multiple posts.

[This message has been edited by retroman (edited 03-19-2016).]

retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

retroman

470 posts
Member since Oct 2010

Originally posted by trivet:

I like the idea , and it would look "right" installed. Looks like some major modifications are going to be required, but if it could be "simplified in anyway, it would be a great alternative, as these taillights are a LOT more plentiful than the GT's are.

Keep us updated - I like it!!!!!

Thanks. Will do. The honeycomb lights are in my opinion the best looking tails Pontiac ever came up with, and they look more at home on the Fiero than other light mods. I would suppose the casual observer may not even know the difference, and that's how a good mod should be. I've never done body work and I've done minimal fiberglassing so this is definitely a learning experience for me. Thankfully, the car is far from showroom condition so I won't feel as bad if I jack it up. As for making this mod easily available to the masses, I have no current intention of doing that unless the demand is 200% there. In that case, I suppose I could make a mold of the altered rear quarters and bumper. I also need to fab up new mounting brackets. The wiring harness would be up to the customer to source. Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable and is already a vendor could determine what all this would cost.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2016 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My brother-in-law suggested that I test fit some 3rd gen Camaro lights. He had an extra set lying around so I thought I'd give it a shot. I don't really like it, but thought I'd upload the pics anyway just to provide a visual for anyone who may be thinking about this.

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2016 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't like the 3rd gens at all.. too flat and boxy.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2016 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3rd Gen Trans Am lights might be interesting.
They don't wrap around the side as far. Actually, they don't wrap around the side at all.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2016 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

I don't like the 3rd gens at all.. too flat and boxy.

Agreed!!
PFF
System Bot
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took some measurements today. I was in a time crunch, so please forgive me if my numbers are different from yours.

Fiero GT tail light width: 62"
Firebird tail light width: 64" (25" for each side and 14" for the center panel.

I did not measure height as my test fit showed they are the same. (Except for the center where the Firebird lights narrow slightly)

I will take measurements again when I have more time and most definitely before I cut into the car.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post03-30-2016 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not fer nothing but I think this might be the ticket

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool.
I'd just paint that T/A honeycomb pattern on the inside of the clear fastback stock lens.
Quite a but less fab, unless you planned to do custom body work anyway.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-31-2016).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

3rd Gen Trans Am lights might be interesting.
They don't wrap around the side as far. Actually, they don't wrap around the side at all.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
another idea.... sunbird taillights

retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Cool.
I'd just paint that T/A honeycomb pattern on the inside of the clear fastback stock lens.
Quite a but less fab, unless you planned to do custom body work anyway.

I thought maybe a mini wide body might be interesting...
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

another idea.... sunbird taillights

That might not look half bad ....any idea what the dimensions are? What year(s) Sunbird?
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

That might not look half bad ....any idea what the dimensions are? What year(s) Sunbird?

They appear to be from a 3rd Gen ('89-'94). No idea on dimensions though.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by retroman:

I thought maybe a mini wide body might be interesting...

It would look good with those lights
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, been away on military duties lately, so haven't had much of a chance to start turning this to reality, but I have continued brain storming. Been tossing around ideas such as back lighting the center panel logo and tinting the lenses a little more, but one idea that stood out would be to hide a backup camera in the key hole. If money were no option, I'd think about RFID enabled smart locks and put a push button latch release in the keyhole. Military let me rent a new Cruze while I am gone, and it's been nice not having to pull the key out of my pocket to lock/unlock or start the car, but I don't have the patience or money to deal with that kind of retrofit, so I am back to my original backup cam idea. Meantime, until I get back, I'm still fielding ideas, and watching every vid on YouTube about custom fiberglass molding. If anyone has any good ideas or resources, I'd love to see them and learn all I can. Thanks.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If someone designed a fastback rear clip that the 4th gen Firebird lights would drop in I would buy that in a heartbeat. Even if it was just the rear part of the clip that needed to be glassed in and cost about $500 I would buy that in a heartbeat. I don't know if that will ever happen, but it looks like a reliable source of Fiero taillights is not going to even happen.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

If someone designed a fastback rear clip that the 4th gen Firebird lights would drop in I would buy that in a heartbeat. Even if it was just the rear part of the clip that needed to be glassed in and cost about $500 I would buy that in a heartbeat. I don't know if that will ever happen, but it looks like a reliable source of Fiero taillights is not going to even happen.

Well, I need to make molds for myself anyway...
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have test fit the sunbird lights and they are a viable candidate. i have the full panel and lights i am willing to sell/git rid of $30 + shipping for the 2 lights and the body panel piece for the lights.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Yeah those look good but don't quite fit

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock