Started on: 03-14-2016 07:40 PM
Replies: 14 (346 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 03-17-2016 12:19 PM
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-07-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BHall71

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Up until a couple of years ago I was with Liberty Mutual since I was 16 (I'm now 44). They were called Prudential back then. The last couple of years that I was with them I was really having to watch the rates. They kept going up and up and up. Both home and auto with little to no claims (one roof claim about 8 years ago and a hail damage claim over 10 years ago). One time they fat fingered the distance the nearest fire station was to my house adding 10 miles, and quite a bit more to my home insurance. Started seeing the writing on the wall when my agent, of just about the same time frame left LM. The last straw was when I acted like a new customer and got a quote that was $50 a month cheaper on car insurance. That's $50 a month cheaper through the same company?!?

Company loyalty doesn't exist anymore, shop around. Read somewhere that as a rule of thumb to shop around for insurance about every two years.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BHall71 (edited 03-14-2016).]

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2016 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. Every so often, the local Chevy dealer here has this thing where they say they'll give you the original MSRP for a trade in.

Sometimes I'm tempted to see if they'll actually give me the cash for my truck. I think the original price on it was like $55-60K. Good bit of extra cash that would be.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-07-2018).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2016 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Original MSRP? Most people don't pay that, I hope.

That is what their ad says. I asked one time if they said they would, and the salesperson said that's what it was. I haven't done it, and I don't know if many others have either. It might have been only MSRP for GM vehicles. But still, yeah, it's a fairly insane idea.

Then again, there was a C6 ZR1 sitting in their used lot for a while (might even still be there), so maybe someone took them up on that offer.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ZOMG, you need to go buy one of those mint '90s Benz S600s. You can pick them up for five grand. Original MSRP could be as high as $120k!
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I make the mistake of looking on line to get car insurance quotes. I then get a barrage of phone calls from agents giving me more quotes and more quotes. You see the commercials that you'll save $400-500 with "their" insurance. Of course when you look at the fine print, the coverage is much less than what I have. I had Progressive (Flo) send me a quote of $35/month for my 2015 daily driver. There was absolutely nothing covered.

One agent said because I had filed a claim in 2012 for a windshield replacement, I was not able to get their "best" rate.

In my 50+ years of driving, that was the third windshield replacement (1971, 1985 and 2012). This last time my rates went up $12/month. I haven't had any accident claims for auto accidents.

I did get a "star" chip in 2014 in my daily driver and I paid Safelite out of pocket to fix that ($120), cheaper than getting hit $150/year for higher insurance.

Insurance is a scam industry as we have seen with Obamacare, Every one pay big bucks, even if you don't use it.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is 'some' customer loyalty with some companies. Ive had State Farm on everything since mid 70s. Every once in a while when one comes due, ill check around for lower rates. Usually my annual renewal is around 1/2 of what anyone else quotes. ie/ RVs current rate is $319 a year full coverage. Nearest competitor is $495, with double the deductibles.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LM does have major limits for new car replacement... From their web site at bottom:

New Car Replacement: Applies to a covered total loss. Your car must be less than one year old, have fewer than 15,000 miles and have had no previous owner. Does not apply to leased vehicles or motorcycles. Subject to applicable deductible. Not available in NC or WY.
TV and other ads may have same but most can't read the fine print.

Maybe some get better rates for shopping around...
Best price for most as new customer is 2+ times what I pay State Farm now.
3-4x for Fiero
2x for Kia SUV
Both cars are not at minimum level to meet state laws and have comp, towing, etc, too. Their new price are state minimum w/o comp.
Home goes up too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, get a motorcycle. I'm a 21 year old Male. Ride a 1980 Yamaha XS850 826cc. Insurance is $22 a month. Full coverage and roadside in Michigan! Their customer service is great. Quick, and always get a human. Dairyland Insurance out of Wisconsin.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

There is 'some' customer loyalty with some companies. Ive had State Farm on everything since mid 70s. Every once in a while when one comes due, ill check around for lower rates. Usually my annual renewal is around 1/2 of what anyone else quotes. ie/ RVs current rate is $319 a year full coverage. Nearest competitor is $495, with double the deductibles.

I was with State Farm for 40 Years for house, RV and cars, and was ripped off the last 20 even had a $3500 deductible on my home. I now have Erie Insurance saves me about $1200 a year and only has a $1000 deductible on the home. The reason I stayed so long with State Farm is because my local agent was a high school friend. I found out when I questioned him on the high rates he lied to me and said all company rates have to be nearly the same. I guess he was wrong and now no longer a friend or my agent.
PFF
System Bot
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never use State Farm, I had them for 26 years, called them up twice to ask a question and did not know asking a quaetion was considered a claim.
So, in 20 years used them once and called them to come out to look at my house to see if got damaged, it did not, they said, then they canceled me for having four (4) claims in 5 years, when it was only one in 20 years.
The phone calls actually are a claim, I told them they were crazy and to _____________ themselves.
I hate that company.....

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2016 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:
Never use State Farm, I had them for 26 years, called them up twice to ask a question and did not know asking a quaetion was considered a claim.
So, in 20 years used them once and called them to come out to look at my house to see if got damaged, it did not, they said, then they canceled me for having four (4) claims in 5 years, when it was only one in 20 years.
The phone calls actually are a claim, I told them they were crazy and to _____________ themselves.
I hate that company.....
Depending what you asked... likely BUT Many companies can and will do this. Very Likely your new company track "claims" this way too. Even agents may not know when company does this because may not be all policies they write.
You can blame your State Govmnt for allowing this.
fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2016 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thinking of dropping State Farm also - been 40 years with the same agent. Had the Audi down for a couple of months, replacing rack, control arms, timing belt, etc - long list. On agent's suggestion, dropped liability and collision while car was in the garage, kept comp on it. Long story short, finished work Sunday night, managed to drop it while jacking it down - one jack stand punched through floor, the other tore up a door..

Agent is trying to tell me that this should be a collision claim, "Because the car struck an object". Not settled yet, but even having to argue leaves a bad taste.

Mike
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2016 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dropped the major carriers years ago. Rates would climb for no reason. Shop around... check with employer, credit union, etc...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock