Another clutch bleeding headache by Imnuts
Started on: 03-13-2016 07:44 AM
Replies: 18 (505 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-22-2016 12:26 AM
Imnuts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2016 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that I’ve tried every known way discussed on the Fiero forum to bleed my clutch and some other inventive techniques with no success I guess I will start replacing parts. Just not sure which to replace first the master or slave cylinder. I have not been able to get more than about 5/8” of travel on the clutch release arm and if remember correctly it should have around an inch of travel. The crazy thing is it was working perfectly fine until I removed the slave cylinder during engine work this winter and got some air in the system.

I have bled my hydraulic clutch on my 88 maybe 5 times successfully over the past 5 years either after removing or disconnecting the master or slave cylinders. Doing so I thought I had figured out how to bleed the hydraulic clutch system, but I guess I was wrong. I now have spent 7 or 8 hours of trying over the past week and half running about a quart of brake fluid through the system. I guess being experienced doing it before doesn’t mean success.

I told my wife I should sell this stupid car but when she quickly agreed that would be a good idea I realized I had said the wrong thing.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2016 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go with the slave first, it is the most common one to fail. Buy it from Rodney Dickman. Do not buy it from ANYONE BUT Rodney Dickman. Autozone ones are junk. Adavnced ones are junk. Napa ones are junk. O'Reilly ones are junk. EVERY SLAVE CYLINDER FOR SALE IS JUNK UNLESS IT COMES FROM RODNEY DICKMAN. If you've done the research you say you have, you have probably seen guys go through two or three parts store slaves without fixing their problem-- that's because parts store slaves are junk, and you should buy your slave from Rodney Dickman.
Any questions?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2016 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

Any questions?

Where is the best place to buy a slave cylinder?
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2016 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cast iron one from Rock Auto is working perfectly. The original worked for 30 years.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2016 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I changed my line and put a cast iron slave on and it works alot better. The Rodney slave was scored to much to hold pressure. I did use Rodney dickmans one way valve to bleed the system and it worked great. My line was bad and I was to lazy to change it and it cost me a slave. I did burp a little air out the day after by jacking the left side and got like 2 bubbles out. I must tell you that my master cylinder came with a round circle of cardboard in it and I never removed it . for me that is the reason my clutch would not work plus my line was bad. It was standing straight up and laid flat and fluid would not go through. That is my clutch story,maybe it will help you with your car.
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2016 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I ever need one, I'll buy it from who? I forgot...
Jokes aside, I'll make sure to get one from Rodney.

But what makes Rodney's the best, just wanna know.
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JIm, thanks, that candor took guts
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Imnuts:

The crazy thing is it was working perfectly fine until I removed the slave cylinder during engine work this winter and got some air in the system.

Possibly you also got some grit in the hydraulics when you disconnected the slave. It doesn't take much to score the walls of the cylinder and/or damage the soft seal material.

Originally posted by robert1234:

But what makes Rodney's the best, just wanna know.

Dual seals on the clutch slave piston.

The original slave came with a single seal. It eventually allows air to be sucked into the system. Except for the slave supplied by Rodney, I believe all replacement Fiero slaves just have the single seal.

* Original pre-tweaked image supplied by Nosferatu187 in This thread.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-15-2016).]

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rockauto slave + Motive pressure bleeder = done. :shrug:
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick for the great info, but I already ordered a Wagner off Amazon for $51. I hope it works ok.

------------------
∇PONTIAC∇
“The difference between a Fiero owner
and genius is that genius has its limits.”

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Patrick for the great info, but I already ordered a Wagner off Amazon for $51.

For only $12 more, you could've got the best.
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What many people do wrong here is buying the cheapest (in price) parts available for their fiero. That's a no-no from the beginning.

Like some, yes, could of spend 12$ more to get a top quality Rodney Dickman new slave cylinder. Do it once, and do it right.

I remember someone 4-5 years ago was looking to buy used ball joints for their fiero. I shaked my head believing some would do this.
For 12 dollars more, that as simple as a McDonald's meal combo...that's it. Not really expensive, right?

I don't fool around, because once you fix a problem with a cheap part, mostly likely it will fail and you'll have to spend 70$ to have your
car towed home. Just spend 65$ and have peace of mind.

I guess people haven't learned yet...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guy's that love Rodney's slave cylinder will be proud of me. I just canceled my order on the cast iron Wagner and ordered the one from Rodney. I had ordered the other one through Amazon this past Sunday and for some reason they had not shipped it yet which is unusual. I guess fate was on my side for once.

[This message has been edited by Imnuts (edited 03-16-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You guy's that love Rodney's slave cylinder will be proud of me. I just canceled my order on the cast iron Wagner and ordered the one from Rodney.

You won't regret it.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Talk about fast shipping, I ordered the slave cylinder from Rodney at 9:15 and I received 3 emails a confirm order, a processing and a shipped all by 10:16. I may receive it tomorrow or Friday, when the other had not even shipped after 3 days. He must of been waiting by is computer like a panther ready to pounce.

------------------
∇PONTIAC∇

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He must of been waiting by his computer like a panther ready to pounce.

Rodney monitors all PFF threads.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2016 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I JUST DID THE SAME THING TO MY 88. I initally lost all clutch response. I first replaced the slave cylinder. and YES, go with the Rodney Dickman unit. Its excellent ! I then replaced the clutch master cycinder. This I bought from autozone. After installing both, and gravity bleeding the system, it works GREAT ! I have excellent clutch travel, and she shifts like a dream. Considering the age of the car, go for it. Its worth it, and you'll have a brand new system.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2016 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh by the way the new slave cylinder from Rodney's took care of the problem.

------------------
∇PONTIAC∇

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh by the way the new slave cylinder from Rodney's took care of the problem.

Good to hear.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock