Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My DIY Sequential turn signals for under $100 (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My DIY Sequential turn signals for under $100 by liv4God
Started on: 03-09-2016 04:49 AM
Replies: 47 (4873 views)
Last post by: liv4God on 11-17-2018 12:23 PM
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2018 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

how many wires did you have to run to the rear of the fiero. It look s like a whole harness?

Yeah pretty much a whole harness. I made one that had a wire for each light. Just the positive wire though and kept the negative from the original harness.
IP: Logged
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

Yeah pretty much a whole harness. I made one that had a wire for each light. Just the positive wire though and kept the negative from the original harness.

I'm curious to maybe just splice into the lights from a single point in the cabin if possible. This would of course mean isolation diodes to use the original harness.
I have my Arduino and relays now, I am going to start proto typing on the bench for now with a bread board and some diodes. I built a really cool power supply from an ATX power supply for a computer. I put it in an old computer surge suppressor switching thing. The labels on the face of it were the switches that controlled the outlets on the back of it which I removed.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2018 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

I'm curious to maybe just splice into the lights from a single point in the cabin if possible. This would of course mean isolation diodes to use the original harness.
I have my Arduino and relays now, I am going to start proto typing on the bench for now with a bread board and some diodes. I built a really cool power supply from an ATX power supply for a computer. I put it in an old computer surge suppressor switching thing. The labels on the face of it were the switches that controlled the outlets on the back of it which I removed.

It might be possible, but I think the problem is that all the lights are connected together on each side so power to one will light the other. Also on post 84 models only the outer 2 lights have the running light and flasher light. The inner one has only a running light. So you will need to find the socket with the flasher and running light (can find used or at auto parts store) and put that in. Which will require messing with the harness already. I cut the wires (which I normally do not prefer) and then put connectors on them, so If I ever want to switch back to stock I can just disconnect my harness and reconnect the originals. If you figure out a simpler or less obtrusive way to wire it up, please share! I would appreciate it for use on my other Fieros and I'm sure others would like it too. Some judicious studying of the wiring diagram may reveal a better way to go about wiring everything up. I skipped that part and regret it as it was sort of trial and error to get it working.

Anyway, your testing setup sounds cool! Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing!
fierovandermey87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierovandermey87Send a Private Message to fierovandermey87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a way to do this without cutting stuff under the dash?
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierovandermey87:

Is there a way to do this without cutting stuff under the dash?

You might be able to just splice into the wires under the dash as long as the indicator lights are not connected to them. You will have to cut somewhere. But might be able to just do it right at the lights. Studying the wire diagram may result in a superior way to wire it in with less cutting. I'm getting ready to do this to my other Fiero so I'll try to find a better way then.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made another update to get rid of the need for a switch to change between standard and sequential mode.
See it in action here: https://youtu.be/39stE3BmEhg

I explain it first and demo second. If you want to skip my "blah blah blah" go to 1 minute mark and watch from there.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

liv4God

733 posts
Member since Feb 2011
I haven't loaded it onto the system in my car yet because I'm working overseas and don't have my beloved with me. When I get back in a few months I will put it in action. Also in this video you can see I'm using the Arduino Nano, which is a significantly smaller board than the Uno which I have installed. 1/3, maybe even 1/4 the size. So I will be building a new smaller assembly and installing it, as well as a planned second unit in my other Fiero. If it interests anyone I could make a video with more details of installation when I put it in my other Fiero.

liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another update, this one is pretty important as it introduces a big improvement in safety by eliminating the possibility for brake light blocking.
In the old version it was possible that if the turn signal was on and then the brake pressed it could pause by up to about 400ms before illuminating the brake. In the new version the brake lights will illuminate immediately even when in the middle of a sequence of the turn signal.

Made a video showing that, as well as showcasing all the capabilities that the latest version encompasses. https://youtu.be/ER8YzM6ZUc8

And as always, code can be accessed on GitHub: https://github.com/jasonsaler/SequentialTL
All older versions are no longer available since I see this version as superior in safety.
This will probably be one of the last if not the last updates to the code. I can't think of anything else a turn signal and brake could need. As it is, I'm pretty sure this is the worlds most advanced turn signal program hahaha!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock