Buying a donor car from copart? by Napoleon_Tanerite
Started on: 03-06-2016 04:32 PM
Replies: 5 (401 views)
Last post by: darbysan on 03-07-2016 11:33 AM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone messed around with buying an engine swap donor car from copart? I've been digging around there and see a few promising ones, but I'm not sure if the gamble will work. I'm looking for a 3800SC series 2 or 3, preferably from a Grand Prix

[This message has been edited by Napoleon_Tanerite (edited 03-06-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know anything about copart but there's a thread on the Georgia Fieros message board Market section about 20 Fieros for sale. He has titles for all or will part out some of them. He's in central Georgia. Picking up one you've personally seen might be better and cheaper than getting one shipped that you've only seen pictures of.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-06-2016).]

Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I don't know anything about copart but there's a thread on the Georgia Fieros message board Market section about 20 Fieros for sale. He has titles for all or will part out some of them. He's in central Georgia. Picking up one you've personally seen might be better and cheaper than getting one shipped that you've only seen pictures of.

Sorry, I am not looking for a Fiero right now. I edited the OP to clarify what I am looking for. I don't want to part out another car if I can avoid it, so I'm looking to get the donor CHEAP. I've got no problem buying a totaled car so long as the engine is good.
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been watching them in hopes of finding a salvaged toy hauler but they want $50 just for me to take a look at a local one and they have a bunch of other fees too. I can't help feeling like they aren't the most reputable outfit around. Maybe you could google for some reviews.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

I've been watching them in hopes of finding a salvaged toy hauler but they want $50 just for me to take a look at a local one and they have a bunch of other fees too. I can't help feeling like they aren't the most reputable outfit around. Maybe you could google for some reviews.

I have, and many say the same thing you did... They nickel and dime you to death. I'm wondering how much of a deal you can get though. Even with fees, if you can get something cheap you may be a winner. I'd like to hear from guys who have gone down that path.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2016 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I initially tried to go the copart direction, but the fees turned me off. For an $800 car, the fees were about $300. They go up as the price goes up. I do have a neighbor that buys at least 1 car a week there, repairs them, and sells them, so it can be done.

I found my donor through CL. It was a T-boned Riviera- guy was asking $1000, I paid $400

If you can find a running car on CL, you might be able to part out enough from the donor to make up the difference. You get the benefit of seeing how the engine and trans run. I made out on the Riviera.

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock