Electric trunk release works intermittently by lorennerol
Started on: 03-05-2016 07:06 PM
Replies: 3 (169 views)
Last post by: MRBLUE87 on 03-06-2016 08:28 PM
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2016 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been working only intermittently (and seemingly randomly) for a couple years now. I figured it was a bad ground in the latch mechanism, but I just took it all apart and cleaning it up (rust), and still no-go. I can hear the relay clicking in the dash, but the piston that releases the latch doesn't move. Not sure what to fiddle with next. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2016 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would check the voltage at the solenoid and see if it's 12V+ every time you push the button. If it is I would replace the solenoid. If not then you have an intermittent wire somewhere between the relay and the solenoid.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Trunk Release
just poorly adjusted or dirty latch parts can cause power latch problems.
any switch(es) or relay can cause problems too.

need a simple test light to find what's wrong.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

MRBLUE87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRBLUE87Send a Private Message to MRBLUE87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The solenoid grounds through the lid latch. If it fails to operate, have an assistant reach under the lid lip and pull up on the lid. This will force the latch against the striker. Try the switch again and see if the solenoid works. If it does, tighten the striker to hold the lid down more.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock