Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Asked for a VIN and was told I was dreaming? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Asked for a VIN and was told I was dreaming? by CavScout
Started on: 02-27-2016 11:27 AM
Replies: 61 (1241 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 03-16-2016 06:09 AM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

If a seller can't email me a few pictures, then I guess he isn't very serious. If he doesn't want my money, I'm sure I can find someone else to take it off my hands.

A thousand times THIS. I don't care how close or far away something is. If a seller is reluctant to take a picture of something, I immediately assume they have something to hide. If it's night time or the middle of the work day I understand if there's not an immediate response, but if you go a few days or over a weekend with no response from the seller, it's time to move on.

ThunderstruckGT-- I get where you're coming from and I agree there are tire kickers on both side of the sale more often than not, but when I'm selling something I assume I am talking to someone who is ready to give me their money and I immediately do what I can to convince that person that I have what they want in order to part them from their money. I don't say this to mean that I misrepresent what I have, but I go out of my way to be responsive to the buyer, answer their questions, take pictures from any angle THEY request, etc. As a buyer, if a seller isn't willing to do the same I quickly lose interest in the item.
IP: Logged
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NT I suppose it's territorial.

Around here there are a lot of strokes who appear to be pennyless and have nothing better to do than kill everyone's time.

When I place an ad (outside of a forum) I only post a phone number and make it very clear that I will not do text. Although it doesn't eliminate all the clowns, it eliminates 99% of them because a person that will take the time to call is usually serious and those are the people I want to deal with.

Just like with swap meets. When I do local swap meets I leave the NOS and high quality parts at home, I also discount what I do bring. Why? Because I get serious buyers at places like Carlisle, Charlotte and other venues of that caliber. It's sad to say but NY is full of cheap ass tire kickers.
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Around here it's not uncommon for some one to post a pic of a car they don't own, then when a buyer shows up they get a gun shoved in their face and robbed. If they can't show more pics or answer a few questions about the car, that could be the reason. Buying and selling is a two way street. I've sold a lot of things, including cars on Craigs list and if a potential buyer asks a question I'm more than happy to answer it. If I'm buying something on Craig's list and the seller won't answer a simple question about an item I write it off as a scam or possible robbery setup and move on.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm. It is a shame when you have to deal with a time-waster.

I used to go to car dealerships when they were closed to look at the cars. I caught a lot of flak for this, but I figured I could kick tires all I liked. When I was interested in a car, I'd go during the day and speak with the salesman. I knew what I was willing to pay for a given car. Often, I walked from one dealership, and went to a different dealership, just because I didn't want to do business with that salesman, to the point that I paid more for the same car elsewhere. One dealership pissed me off so badly that I drove 2 hours further to find an ethical dealer. Points of contention were things like no sale without an extended warranty, or rental car plans for when the car was being serviced.

For used cars, I walked several times because the seller couldn't/wouldn't produce the ”clear title in hand”, telling me that I'd have to wait for 30 days after purchase. They called me names and made threats, which made my decision more firm.

I've taken cars for a drive, then walked, because the car was misrepresented. I've walked many, many times because the car I saw bore almost no resemblance to the car in the pictures. This is infuriating, especially after a long drive. The pictures had clearly been taken many years previously. To avoid this, I request pictures from a different angle. If they can't provide something to prove that it's a current picture, I'm not making the drive. This saves everyone time. A few minutes' effort for each party to avoid a ”tire kicker” showing up to purchase a misrepresented vehicle seems reasonable.

I had considered attending a swap meet, but if the quality stuff isn't going to be there, I guess I won't go. I thought the point of a swap meet was to get stuff that couldn't be found/purchased elsewhere.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I used to go to car dealerships when they were closed to look at the cars.

And that is why most dealers today are open on Sunday. You and many like you had a good idea but they caught on to that.

Originally posted by tshark:

I thought the point of a swap meet was to get stuff that couldn't be found/purchased elsewhere.

It is, but if the items are not going to sell or not sell for what the market bears why should a seller bring them?

I know one guy that brings NOS parts to Carlisle and beat up junk to Dunkirk. Junk doesn't sell in Carlisle and good stuff doesn't necessarily sell in NY.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is SO annoying when you're really just looking, and the salesman hovers around as if you're going to put one of the cars in your pocket. You tell them you're just looking, but they keep hovering and asking if you're ready to buy yet. They offer to answer any questions. So, I'll ask how to open the trunk, can this be ordered in a different color, what a partucular button does, the price on the vehicle, or the MPG (both of the latter of which are on the sheet in the window). The salesman will either say they don't know (or care, apparently), or they'll leave me alone for 30 minutes or so while they go try to find the answer. Sometimes another salesman takes a turn annoying me, or the original guy comes back without an answer. Any time they can't give me a reasonable price without going to see someone, I walk as soon as they get out of sight.

Yep. They brought it on themselves. Oh, and I don't buy cars on Sundays.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014
I'm curious. For those that sell cars on evilbay, does it require a VIN? It is nice to run a carfax if I want--or better yet to have it provided.

I looked back through my car sale records. I didn't provide any VINs, and none were asked for. We spoke & emailed. I usually had only 1 or 2 people come out to see a given car. One car took almost a month to sell. Most sold within a week. 3 sold for almost $2,000 more than my asking price, 2 for $100 less (still $400 more than I required).

With the exception of a parts car, all my vehicle sales were drivable. The worst one had 266K miles on it and needed a new timing chain. Even the parts car (wrecked) just needed a new front end. It was driven onto a trailer. The worst Fiero I sold was driven several hours to Arkansas. I just recently sold a car with 300K miles on it. Still 6 seconds 0-60, but it looked a bit worse for the wear.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't usually buy from a dealer at all.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2016 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theres absolutely no reason NOT to give out a VIN number especially if your trying to sell it. VIN number itself is so unimportant you can easily see them on any car in any parking lot. Maybe they think you can get a title in your name with just the VIN. DMV is a LOT harder to scam than that. Its even hard to get a duplicate title if you lose it and your name is on the title in the first place.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Around here it's not uncommon for some one to post a pic of a car they don't own, then when a buyer shows up they get a gun shoved in their face and robbed. If they can't show more pics or answer a few questions about the car, that could be the reason. Buying and selling is a two way street. I've sold a lot of things, including cars on Craigs list and if a potential buyer asks a question I'm more than happy to answer it. If I'm buying something on Craig's list and the seller won't answer a simple question about an item I write it off as a scam or possible robbery setup and move on.

This!!

There are definitely scammers on both sides. Last year I posted an ad on Craigslist to sell my 2002 Corvette. I got a call from a guy asking if its still for sale. I said yes, what would you like to know. He asks "Does the body have any rust", Me... "No". Him " Is the spare tire in the trunk". Me.... CLICK. Anyone even remotely serious about buying a C5 Vette would know #1, they are fiberglass and dont rust, and #2, they dont have spare tires. Obviously some scam or someone looking to steal my car.

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First to Ed: Fieros are plastic and they DO rust, not the panels, but ask anyone on the east coast

I have sold cars on CL and I will tell you out of 20 calls, 17 are scammers and/or time wasters, 2 are just looking at alot of cars or free test drives, 1 "might be serious"

The out of town callers almost always want to the buy the car, then come up with some "escrow" service or a bigger check and want cash back, or just want to write a check period. When I say cash only that always stops them.

If someone is IN town and wants more pics, I tell them to come look at it, so far no one from out of town wants more pics, just to scam, if they want more pics and are out of town I would send them. (Scammers usually don't ask for more pics)

I have had people on here (PFF) ask for tons of pics on stupid common parts, then never buy.

Being a seller I deal with ALOT of flakes, so BUYERS keep this in mind, we want to sell to you but if come off as a flake or scammer, we want nothing to do with you, So keep this in mind when you represent yourself. You may be the 19th caller by then we are pissed off

As a buyer, my friends buy ALOT of cars on CL, tons say "title in hand" then turns into "oh I have to get a duplicate" or "this is in 'my friends' name" always walk from that. Unless they are willing to go with you to the DMV.

Here in Nevada you can call 311 (Police non-emergency) and they will tell you on the spot if the car is stolen or not. (Good thing to do when buying an iffy car, or any car really)

The worst is when people call and say "What's your bottom dollar?" duh why don't I say "what the most you will pay for this?" When I say "make an offer" and they just won't, no matter what they won't make an offer, "can you come down?" "yes, make an offer" they just won't. Do people NOT know how to negotiate any more? Or when they try to talk you down and don't have any money.
PFF
System Bot
Steel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2016 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

I would never give out a VIN.... PERIOD!

If anybody wants one, come out and get it.

Everything you post is ridiculous.

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2016 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

Everything you post is ridiculous.

If you say so.

But I'd like to know what makes you "think" you know what you are talking about?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2016 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

The worst is when people call and say "What's your bottom dollar?" duh why don't I say "what the most you will pay for this?" When I say "make an offer" and they just won't, no matter what they won't make an offer, "can you come down?" "yes, make an offer" they just won't. Do people NOT know how to negotiate any more? Or when they try to talk you down and don't have any money.

I have just given them a number only very slightly lower. For example $100 item. Say $95.

Yeah I also like when they get to an agreed dollar amount and you think they will come out and get it sometime soon.... then say where are you located again...oh that's a long ways....can you meet me half way to my place?
I feel like saying sure, for another $10.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-09-2016).]

liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2016 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm no expert on VINs or anything, but I bought a non running car for a bill of sale. After fixing the car the DMV ran me through months of tedious paper work and inspections etc before it was put in my name, so I don't think knowing a VIN is enough to get a car in one's name, at least not with any DMV I've seen.
I had the car, VIN and bill of sale and had to have the CHP make verifications that the VIN matched the car in my possession and on the bill of sale and tons of paper work too. Without a bill of sale and the car, I would have gotten no where.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2016 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

liv4God

733 posts
Member since Feb 2011
Slightly Humerous story: I posterd a parts car on CL for $100. Had about 5 pictues of its shabby condition and half torn apart engine, but I can't tell you how many people asked if it was running with a clean title! HAHAHA
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To all you that have no problem passing your VIN out like it's meaningless..... Chew on this > http://abcnews.go.com/US/vi...ts/story?id=28401709

VIN's are no different than an address, phone or social security number. It falls into the wrong hands, it will cost you.
CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VIN's are no different than an address, phone or social security number. It falls into the wrong hands, it will cost you.

Not entirely true. Address is public record open a phone book (if you can find one). Phone #? So what. Get Google voice or change your number if an issue. Don't see what those have to do with VINs.

Huge underground market for Fiero VINs too eh? Anyone online can access this site, without a membership, and look at any of the registries. Pick a VIN. Any VIN.

So what? I mean, you can be careful, you can be paranoid, your choice. But to put a 1000 dollar Fiero VIN on par with your social security number? I don't leave my social security card on my dashboard in plain sight when I park my car anywhere.

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CavScout:

Not entirely true. Address is public record open a phone book (if you can find one). Phone #? So what. Get Google voice or change your number if an issue. Don't see what those have to do with VINs.

Huge underground market for Fiero VINs too eh? Anyone online can access this site, without a membership, and look at any of the registries. Pick a VIN. Any VIN.

So what? I mean, you can be careful, you can be paranoid, your choice. But to put a 1000 dollar Fiero VIN on par with your social security number? I don't leave my social security card on my dashboard in plain sight when I park my car anywhere.

I "play" with VIN's for a living, there's much more to it than your line of thinking.

And, go ahead and check that registry. There's only a partial VIN for my '88 GT.

Don't think any Fiero is worth forging a VIN? A scam artist will take a buck anywhere he can. Don't think Fieros ever were stolen, wrecked or titles lost or unobtainable? Guess again.

Someone out there has a real nice '88 GT or IPC that won't be worth squat until they can get good papers.
CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't think any Fiero is worth forging a VIN? A scam artist will take a buck anywhere he can. Don't think Fieros ever were stolen, wrecked or titles lost or unobtainable? Guess again.

Someone out there has a real nice '88 GT or IPC that won't be worth squat until they can get good papers.

Point taken.

Hell, I've heard back in the day, Fiero spoilers were frequently just ripped off cars they were in such demand. So yeah, a thief will do anything for a buck.

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CavScout:

Point taken.

Hell, I've heard back in the day, Fiero spoilers were frequently just ripped off cars they were in such demand. So yeah, a thief will do anything for a buck.

Jim Murphy Pontiac (now Buick) use to have so many spoilers stolen he started ordering cars with spoiler delete and he'd order spoilers in various colors to install on the cars later. At extra cost of course.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a story from I believe the Street yesterday that told of how this is a growing problem.

A guy bought a car off of E bay for $15K and all was fine till he went to take it to the dealer for an oil change and records showed it was just had the oil changed. They connected the computer and found the real vin as the car had a fake vin on it using someone else's vin.

It was found the car was stolen and from there the thief was gone. The guys car was taken and he still had a loan to pay off, The insurance company then had issues and the guy who had the car with the correct VIN was also affected as now it showed there were two cars.

I have seen cases where these things get worse if the guy who has the stolen vin defaults on the car or has some other situation like reporting it stolen it can make things even worse.

Most people say to treat vin numbers like a Social Security number anymore. If needed run the Car Fax for the buyer but mark off the last part of the vin. The last part is production number and is not really needed. When you go to buy the car then check to make sure the vin is matching and look for evidence that is is real and not been tampered with.

This can happen on cars of all price ranges so just be aware.

http://www.thestreet.com/st...rom-stolen-cars.html
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock