cloged brake line hose by fierofrenzy
Started on: 02-20-2016 02:05 PM
Replies: 6 (768 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 02-20-2016 08:24 PM
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for your information, and something I never thought possible.....after replacing my front calipers, there was no brake fluid pumping through one of the front lines. Turns out the rubber hose section of the brake line had a serious clog inside. I tried running thin wire through it as a test, and sure enough there was a total blockage. After replacing the hose with a new one, I cut this one opened, and sure enough there was a completely clogged area, exactly where the metal brace is that's bolts to the upper control arm. I didn't think a rubber hose would clog solid enough to hold back the pressure of hydraulic fluid, but it did. so if your not getting brake fluid to your caliper, and all else is fine, check that hose, it may just be cloged solid.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had this problem on my original 88GT. My passenger side front caliper was sticking and that wheel would still
be braking.( brake fluid wasn't fully coming back to the reservoir) I changed the rubber brake line hose and that fixed the problem.
This car was stored since 1995 until 2010. Its was driven a few times when it was stored.

I didn't check for a clogged brake hose, but from a 40+ experience mechanic told me he seen it happen exactly where
you mentioning...at the metal mounting tab on the UCA. It can rust and clog at that spot.

At the same time, I replaced both front brake hoses with a Raybestos brand brake hose.

Thanks for sharing your experience...its never a bad question to ask.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rubber brake hoses can expand on the inside and pinch off the fluid, so it's not something you can clean out and re-use.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry... No new or unique. In fact, is a very common problem.
Think I cover this in my cave... Brake Service

1 or both happens:
rusted bracket = more pressure on the hose. rusted metal expanse and pinch on the hose. Quick test is just pry open the support bracket a bit.
oil/grease got on the hose, work thru cracks etc and attack the liner. Might pass above test if problem is not bad.

Either problem needs replacement hose. Best to replace all hoses.

New parts w/ SAE J1401 hose are Much better resisting oil/grease problem. Many "Pro Grade" hose are using this.
See //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129208.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

After replacing the hose with a new one, I cut this one opened, and sure enough there was a completely clogged area, exactly where the metal brace is that's bolts to the upper control arm.

Yep, as previously stated, this appears to be a relatively common issue.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As "theogre" posted, very common.

Brake hoses deteriorate inside as well as out.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most brake hoses get old and the interior collapse this is the most common failure and they they should be replaced even if they are not broken when they get old.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock