Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Insider that has not heard of alum chassis fiero?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Insider that has not heard of alum chassis fiero? by gtjeff
Started on: 02-17-2016 09:15 PM
Replies: 6 (497 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 02-24-2016 08:59 AM
gtjeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtjeffSend a Private Message to gtjeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take a look at this tread for a poster named Timbo, he claims he had control over storing and hiding from the crusher GM Fiero's in 1984 with experimental engines, but left in 1985. However I asked about the alum chassis Fiero, he had no knowledge of it? Interesting discussion, none the less.

http://barnfinds.com/v8-pow...iero/#comment-211240

[This message has been edited by gtjeff (edited 02-17-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL!

The guy had a Pontiac powered '54 Vette.

Now that's how you make a plastic Chevy into a better car.

I think I like this guy.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-17-2016).]

gtjeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtjeffSend a Private Message to gtjeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Timbo talking about the 2.9L proposed Fiero engine , which he claims parts from it made production on the 2.8L:

"Van, first sneak peaks were either in Car and Driver or Motor trend in 1982. I was the one and only advanced engine engineer at Pontiac Engineering and in 1982 got the assignment to find an optional engine for the Fiero. Almost everything GM had fit in the rear engine compartment with the 90 degree V configurations packaging the best. At the time, there was tremendous competition between Pontiac and Chevrolet so I did not even propose as SMB. The Cadillac 4.9 iron head aluminum block V8 and the Buick iron even fire 3800 dropped right in. Our asst chief at the time didn’t want to tell me what to do but encouraged me to look at the 60 degree V6 “corporate” engine manufactured by Chevrolet. I heard GM’s engineering staff was working on an all aluminum version so I visited them. They had production tooled the aluminum sand cast head with Karl Schmidt and the die cast aluminum block at a GM Central Foundry. After a short discussion, we decided to increase the bore .014″ to just barely make it a 2.9L and turbo charge it. Usage would be a low volume optional engine for the STE and the 1986 Fiero. E staff supported it 100% supplying heads, aluminum rocker covers, blocks, head gaskets and I was responsible for the intake, throttle body, exhaust manifolds, turbocharger and related hardware design and engineering. The rest of the parts I got from Chevy. We built 2 LA9’s (that was the production RPO I picked which stood for aluminum 2.9L), and 4 STE’s both autos and manuals. The Fieros were crazy fast with 4 sec 0-60’s and ended up scarring the beezus out of our GM president when he spun out on a damp surface one morning. It was just the reason he needed to support Chevy’s protest (it was faster and cheaper than the Corvette) and kill the project. We still needed an optional engine, so that night we put the red turbo intake and Holley throttle body on an iron 2.8L, the sexy red aluminum rocker covers, and the SS turbo exhaust manifolds, dropped it in an engineering car and presented it as the optional engine for the 2M6 THE NEXT MORNING.. What sold it was the ease which we pulled this off and later when dynoed, we learned the 2.8 with the PONTIAC engineered intake and exhaust made more power than Chevy’s X11 H.O. package, causing them to loose the H.O. designation. As they say on Gas Monkey, ” have you some of that Chevy!!!!!” The top of engine parts from the LA9 turbo made it into production as originally designed and developed on the iron V6."
Read more at http://barnfinds.com/v8-pow...#p8L6ur4FGlzhY6Bv.99
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2016 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting information. Thanks
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2016 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really interesting stuff. If he worked on engines there's a good chance he never interacted with the people doing frame fabrication.

gtjeff, sorry,I know nothing of the V8, Grand National or aluminum space frame Fieros. Where did you hear of these? Back in 1984, I had all of the experimental engine Fieros corralled, and even had to play musical chairs with them, shipping them between sites to keep them from the crushers. In 1985 I was reassigned when CPC was created to integrate the Chev and Pontiac L4 engine development groups and lost contact with the advanced vehicle development group. I think I would have heard of these vehicles if they really were created. If you are really interested I could dig around. The guy that might know is currently managing the Chevy COPO build center

A lot of guys will know other guys, though. if you give him a name, he might ask that guy, who would know the whole story.

The bottom end blew out, the flywheel and part of the crank hit the outside exit door and spun across the parking lot like a top. I then designed a forged crank but my pussy boss (x Chev ahole) would not let me order the tools for experimental parts.

And I thought we did some crazy ****
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2016 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtjeff:

Take a look at this tread for a poster named Timbo, he claims he had control over storing and hiding from the crusher GM Fiero's in 1984 with experimental engines, but left in 1985. However I asked about the alum chassis Fiero, he had no knowledge of it? Interesting discussion, none the less.

http://barnfinds.com/v8-pow...iero/#comment-211240

He would not have known about the aluminum space frame if he left in 85. It was a later project and mostly done by Alcan and was not something everyone had their hands on.

One of the 2.9 V6 Turbo engines ended up in the Transport show car that Pontiac did in the late 80's. It is still in the GM collection the last I heard. It was in one of the Fiero's and I suspect it was in the black one that is no longer around.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock